RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It still opens a can of worms over why they are buggering about with time travel in the first place though, thanks to the badly explained hand waive of the Tikka plot. I'm presuming it will be some sort of technology they use without fully understanding. But really, I hope they just have it burn out completely at the end of the episode so we don't have the problem of "what happened to the time drive".

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

My guess is that the time drive got destroyed when Star Bug crashed and respectively blew up in Back in the Red part 1.....the bigger question for me is why Lister choice to stay stranded in space rather then return to earth like he did in the past and later in BTE. I am going to have to agree though that I hope that there is a good reason as to why they would stop using it permanently, I mean what bugged me in Tikka was less that but more they Lister still has it afterwards, I could have forgiven it more if the others decided to dump it to make sure they don't end up like their future selves.

3. bedfordfalls

Well the ending of Ouroboros sort of explains that Lister has come to understand his purpose isn't to get back to Earth in his own time but instead to be part of an "unbreakable cycle" that ensures the human race will still exist long after their presumed self-destruction.

After he comes to terms with this there is no longer any point in using the time drive to return to his own time as he realises it is up to him to represent humanity in the future that has become his present. Of course this doesn't explain why he doesn't just use the time drive's positional data to, say, go back to Earth the day before yesterday. Maybe at the back of his mind he realises that Earth isn't there anymore and it's just become a hypothetical concept: a destination to aim for but never actually arrive at.

4. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I was at the filming of 'Lemons'. It's has nothing to do with earlier mentioned time travel equipment. It's something completely new.

5. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Is this acceptable under the spoiler policy?

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think anyone familiar with Robert Llewellyn's acidental slip up spoilers spoilers would already know this.

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Yep.

8. bedfordfalls

Nobody said it was anything to do with earlier mentioned time travel equipment. The guide already talks about a "returner remote" so we know that it is something knew, but, presuming time travel is still involved (and I can't very well see how it couldn't be) the same concerns still apply.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

think this is a new review

Cultbox review

i don't recall seeing it before

10. ghastly98

But... I liked BTE :-(

At any rate, decent review, but nothing we haven't heard before.

11. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

12. bedfordfalls

13. Pecospete666

14. bedfordfalls

I refer you to my previous comment. Nothing new here. These episode synopses appeared several days ago and were poured over on G&T, the link to which I already posted in this thread.

15. Pecospete666

sorry it did not come upon a search!An on other thread people were talking about Holly!
    I stand corrected!

16. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol jesus :P

17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Episode 3 sounds great. It sounds crazy though, like a plot from the books.. can't wait to see this one. As for the historical character, am I right in guessing AD 23 puts us in new testament time? ;-)

Regarding the Tikka To Ride time travel plot hole, wasn't it stressed several times that they couldn't risk any more time travel seeing as they screwed up history, soit's not that much of a stretch to think that with a lifetime supply of curry, Lister will be a good boy and not attempt to time travel again, or maybe even Kryten disposes of the time drive. The big plot hole for me, is how it can suddenly transport people through space too, especially as the failure of it to be able to do that was such a big joke in Out Of Time.

Father and suns is interesting because I hate the whole "Lister is his own father" idea and hoped it would never be mentioned again, but it is a good idea for an episode (lister being a bad father to himself)

18. bedfordfalls

It was mentioned on the Xtended cut's alternate ending but then they did use it again to transport baby Lister back to Earth!

Even so it was a bit of a hand wave. I would have preferred it to just freeze permanently or blow up or something at the end of the episode which would have been a cleaner way of eliminating the problem...but I guess Doug already had Ouroboros in mind and having it happen at the end of that episode would have killed the emotional impact of that scene.

I'm hoping they do acknowledge it at some point but I doubt it will be a priority given the disposable nature of the show's continuity. I am interested to know what the Returner Remote is though...maybe that's what the original future selves found and used to complete their time drive. :-)

19. ghastly98

That, and that in "Out of Time," it was stated that they can travel in time, but not space. The future selves found a faster-than-light drive (or something of that effect) combined with the time drive. It was never explained how they immediately got back to Earth when finding the Time drive again if they had no means of transport that could take them to there quickly.

20. bedfordfalls

Most people have contented themselves to find their explanation in "anomalies have merged from both dimensions to cope with the paradox"...Red Dwarf VII's version of "a wizard did it". :-)