RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I think it'd be nice to see Howard and the crew of Trojan - they seem to be the anti-Boys from the Dwarf. Deep Space survivors who are actually capable and prepared for the sort of scrapes Red Dwarf's crew get into.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Can't seem to get that link to work...and my goodness what an awful cluttered mess that website is.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its been taken down for whatever reason

4. Reznor

Reznor Guest

can i have some toast please! :P

5. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I really hope that after the shows have been broadcast that we don't have people who were at the recordings trying to impose their views of the episodes as "fan wisdom".

6. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Doug contacted them to say the article had a few mistakes so they are calling him and getting it put right. Quite admirable of Starburst to take it down till they get it right.

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The definitive episode is the one broadcast. Not what people saw live.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

10. simulant37

"Mistakes? In terms of mistakes I’ve made, there are too many to list (laughs), we’d be here all night!"

11. bedfordfalls

Isn't it nice that he can admit it?
    But really, of all the fascinating stuff revealed in that interview, this is the line you choose to dwell on?

Anyway, regarding the interview, the revelation that Doug ditched two episodes featuring Kochanski is a bit of a shocker to be honest. I wasn't expecting her to be reintroduced at any time this series so it seems like maybe Doug really does have a concern that another series is not nailed on.

The stuff about Rob actually trying to walk away from Grant Naylor 3 times is also a new revelation as far as I'm aware.

Some of the other stuff is stuff I've read and heard a dozen times before but it's always worth Doug restating the obstacles and difficulties involved in making Back to Earth to combat the "lazy" generalizations of certain fans.

The only thing I'd take Doug up on in this interview is his insistence that in terms of storylines "I always try to finish them tidily".

Erm, "Only the Good..." and a nine year wait, Doug?

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

That is interesting that Kochanski was supposed to be in the show (though she could still be) but what does that mean for "The Beginning"? If the final two shows weren't made, then the Beginning wasn't intended to be the final episode (unless part of the other scripts were incorporated into it) which means it's less likely it is intended to be the last ever episode like some people are speculating.

Anyway, sad that the 2 scripts were dropped but I'm relieved if Kochanski was in it. Though I guess they could be used for Red Dwarf XI if ever it should be made.

13. bedfordfalls

What we don't know is to what extent she would have featured in these scripts (which were apparently canned due to lack of outdoor location budget).

It could have just been cameo appearances e.g. appearing via a video feed as the boys pursue her signal. It's really quite fascinating that Doug even let this out of the bag at all. This interview, while running over a lot of old ground is one of the most interesting I've seen Doug do for years.

14. simulant37

Nobody wants Kochanski! When will Doug realise this!!! :x

15. bedfordfalls

I would agree that (almost) nobody wants her as a permanent character. I'd disagree that people never want to see her again (although I appreciate you may not); I think that she certainly has a place in any possible Red Dwarf final episode though, given that reuniting with her has kind of been the whole point of Lister's existence since practically day one.

Also, for all you and I know, Doug may have been going to use these two episodes to write this version of her back out of the series permanently....something I'd kind of be in favour of given the slightly squicky nature of Lister pursuing his own biological birth mother. Let's say they get a trace of her in episode 5 then catch up to her near the end of episode 6 only for her to have found a portal back to her own dimension.

That could produce the type of bittersweet ending that Red Dwarf does very well.

16. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

I'll have her if you don't want her.

Arf.

17. Slainmonkey

I wouldn't mind if she was used to being something of a conclusion to the series, or used in some kind of one off capacity. However I agree that I wouldn't want another full series with her.

18. simulant37

Maybe he finds 'his' Kochanski as well as the one from the other dimension. . .a 3 way!! ;-)

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah the stuff about Rob was quite eye opening as well. I realise it's only one side of the story, but Rob seems to have always been a talented writer but someone who had a habbit for occaisonally being very difficult to work with. I've been in situations with people like that before (within a creative context) and it can be extremely frustrating to say the least.

With regards to another point you made in your following post about Kochanski I agree she can be used in a way, I would like a proper end for Red Dwarf and that should include Lister ending up with Kochanski somehow - just not in an all too easy, soppy way. Something like the backwards growing young together thing from Better Than Life the book, would be perfect. But the fact that his yearning for her was so important, rendered her introduction as a regular character, a bit wrong in my book.

20. Slainmonkey

And make a lot of little Lister's