RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Awww :eek:ops:

They could do a Muppet Babies style spin-off with all the boys from the Dwarf regressed into babies! RDXI plot idea!! (c) Simulant37.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Good god, that is the most horrifying thing I have ever heard on this forum.......particularly given my personal hatred of Muppet Babies.....I mean the fact it was a cartoon defeats the purpose of them being Muppets in the first place :x

3. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Doug has said in interviews that Ep 6 will explain what happened after the end of series 8. It sounds like a flashback episode to me and in that case I cannot see how Kochanski won't be in it.

In my head I have this idea of what the episode will be about. The Simulants restore Red Dwarf and capture Rimmer. They wipe out the original crew. Lister & co return from the mirror universe and find themselves pursued. Obviously only Rimmer can save them. Probably nothing like the episode but it seems like a good idea.

I wouldn't like to see the happy Kochanski ending broadcast. I think it is better to leave the show as it is. That way people can imagine a happy ending if they want to. Douglas Adams obsession with giving HHGTG a tidy ending, either in a happy sense (So Long and Thanks For All The Fish) or a bleak one (Mostly Harmless) runied the series for me.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

5. Robert26

6. bedfordfalls

7. Robert26

Yes OF&H should have ended with the status quo but what that show did was even worse. They made a happy ending and reversed it. Kind of what Adams did after Fish. I think that is pretty rubbish too.

As for the point about ep 6, I think there is more that needs to be explained. What happened to the restored crew? If they are still alive out there then it defeats the purpose of Lister being the last human. Also if Ace returns then what happened to the other Rimmer? I think there far too many people in the Dwarf universe anyway. The original series was about lonliness and how small things can make you happy when you are alone. Bringing in people from mirror universes etc spoil it a bit for me. I would like to see an episode actually where Earth is revealed to no longer exist. It would be bleak in a sense but would also allow Lister to focus on finding something else.

Good discussion.

8. bedfordfalls

It's stated pretty decisively by Kryten in the first trailer revealed for series X that Lister is once again "the last human being alive"...not sure how this relates to Kochanskis whereabouts but it seems pretty likely that something has happened to the Series 8 crew.

I don't expect Lister to ever get back to Earth by the way...or at least Earth as it was. That isn't what I mean by the "Fiji" ending. The farm on Fiji, Kochanski riding a white horse. It's not literal for Lister; even in his own time Fiji was mostly underwater. It's more of a metaphor for his desire to settle down with the woman he loves and have a quiet family life.

I don't think I'll ever get why some always want to end a show with the status quo. Things do naturally come to an end in life as well as in art as Lister himself says "you meet people and you move on, like". Why something can't draw naturally to a satisfying conclusion and why this can't be satisfying for some is a genuine mystery to me. It reminds me of that Lister/Rimmer conversation in Stasis Leak where Rimmer accuses Lister of being selfish for wanting to go back home instead of spending years floating through space keeping him company. In a way the two characters in that scene mirror the opposing views of the fanbase. The funny thing is that, when I first watched that, I was on Rimmer's side and couldn't see Lister's logic. As time has moved on I totally changed my perspective.

I want to see Lister get something close to his dream one day because I care about a character I have invested time following in the TV show and in books more than I do about maintaining a funny status quo among characters I enjoyed only for comedic adventures (probably why I enjoyed Back to Earth while those who watch the show merely for the comedy hated it). Leaving it with the status quo is certainly preferable over what we were left with after Series 8 but I still feel Doug is capable of pulling off an ending that is genuinely moving and rewarding for those of us who have followed the show all these years. he has a real skill for pathos and the bittersweet so I'm sure he could write something suitably conclusive that wouldn't slip into the cheesy or unrewarding domain of a hollywood ending.

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

What? It's not that ridiculous. Most (but not all) of Fiji is only a few feet under water.

And besides, you can get a drainage grant these days. :P

Now, I'll tell you what is ridiculous, the fact that the powers that be only use their available resources to drain parts of Fiji if individuals who reside there pay for it personally. That's just silly!

...um, yeah, I'm taking this a bit too seriously, aren't I?..;-)

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

11. bedfordfalls

Am I the only one that thinks that Howard looks a bit weedy. Rimmer looks like he could beat him up. :-)

12. Freeborn

13. bedfordfalls

Please tell me you're kidding. I can't watch the clip right now to verify.

14. Freeborn

Nope, not kidding. And from what I can tell neither was Craig. Could be wrong about the latter though.

Personally, I would welcome the return of captain Hollister in a flash back scene or two. I can only assume that's how he will be featured. Quite probably in episode 6. This is purely speculation on my part though.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its possible hollister will be back in episode 6, maybe the attack fleet of similants have killed all the crew that escaped the dwarf after series 8 and there will be a scene with holister (this is just me speculating of course)

but of course this could also mean doug has took a scene from the movie and maybe taken holister out and replaced it with another character

it could mean anything really

16. Freeborn

Yeah, that's possible too I s'pose. Either way, it's gonna' be lot of fun finding out :-)

17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Given that Robert can't remember the movie script, Craig saying "that scene with hollister" suggests he is in the series. if hollister had been written out and Robert doesn't remember the film script, he wouldn't know what scene from the new shows Craig was referring to.

18. bedfordfalls

I guess a flashback would be okay and certainly a scene where he is killed off could be quite dramatic. I remember hearing that Doug wanted Mac for Back to Earth originally but had to cut him for budget reasons.

I'm disappointed that Craig spoiled this if it is a genuine spoiler though. Despite what I've said earlier, his unadvertised appearance might have been a nice surprise. I like Captain Hollister up until he is turned into a silly, legitimately spiteful and evil caricature post BITR part 1.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yeah. The catering budget!