RDX Second Viewing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by yeckel, Jan 21, 2013.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

series X is still a mixed bag for me, alot of good stuff but a fair bit of bad stuff thats just doesn't work and stops the episodes hitting their potential sadly

2. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Trojan,Entangled and the beginning were nearly on par with series 1 to 6, the other 3 eps let it down though, lemons was decent. The drive room was way to small it needed more Starbug to get the dwarf feel back, and why would they be living in that crap bunk room they should still be living it up and be in the officers quarters from series 3 to 5. Still miles better then sereis 8 and on the right track for a better series xi. The Red Dwarf model looked amazing keep it.

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

For a moment then simulant I thought you were going to provide the spit ;-)

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

:eek:

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Finally I'm watching the whole series again, and I've just got through the first two episodes with the other four to be watched over the next few days. This is actually at least the third time I've seen each episode but the first time on DVD. I was struck by the wonderful clarity of the picture quality, and some of the model shots are just lovely.

Trojan
    Something about this episode just doesn't feel right to me, and so it's near the bottom of my all-time episode list. It's the kind of episode that I would never decide to watch when I'm in the mood for some random Dwarf.

Fathers and Suns
    I adore this episode. Despite the Red Dwarf setting and featuring Rimmer instead of Kochanski, in tone it feels very much like a series 7 episode from Ouroboros onwards. As I've said before, this is how series 7 could have been with proper characterisation and better comedy.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Lemons
    I liked this one a little bit better than previously, but I'm still not all that fond of it. There are some good jokes here, however, and I love the Last Supper gag. Also, the Indian marketplace set is wonderful. One thing though: I wish Doug would resist the temptation to include gags that either a) might not be understood outside of Britain, or b) might not be understood a decade or two from now. The Wallace and Gromit joke is a good example of both of these.

Entangled
    My second favourite episode of the series. Like Fathers and Suns, this feels much more Dwarfy than most post series 6 episodes. It's really good once it gets going and benefits from a strong plot and some memorable guest actors.

7. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I felt a very nervous about half way into the Lemons episode. I felt guilty watching it (my Christian faith started to scream "inappropriate"), however I felt Doug did a good job of ending the episode in a way that gave me permission to laugh. My second viewing of this episode (specifically) was much more enjoyable. The sets design was great. Still not a favorite, but enjoyable.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I do think Lemons could be a bit of a 'grower' episode for me. As I said, I liked it more this time round, and my opinion might improve further with more viewings.

Since you're American, I'd like to ask: did you understand the Wallace and Gromit joke that I mentioned?

9. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I've re-watched Trojan for the first time since it was broadcast. I have to say I like it a bit more than I did originally. I'd probably rate it 7/10 now. Quite a few good funny laugh out loud moments and once the changes are dealt with regarding the shows look, tone etc., I'm actually quite used to it and will probably enjoy the rest of the series more now too, but I don't know if Lemons will be included in that!

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think abit more highly of series X then I used too but each episode has something I'm not fond of and feel that it lets down the episodes, the phone stuff in Trojan, Chinese whisper stuff in fathers and suns, the badly done lister humping the dispensing machine and dull rimmer subplot in dear dave and the "I'm not your father" stuff in the beginning

11. simulant37

Trojan is the only good episode.

12. simulant37

I disagree. US sitcoms make no concessions to overseas audiences, why should UK sitcoms! I like the UK references, & not worried about jokes that age with their references.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Dear Dave
    This is a great little bottle episode and very series 1-ish. It could have been better with a few alterations, but I love it nonetheless. It's my third favourite of series X.

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

We have seen the shows. I'm trying to think back. I think the comment was a complete non-event. Even if I didn't get it, my mind didn't dwell on it. I really don't mind references being used that will be outdated or that may not make full sense to those outside the UK. I think it serves as a way to put a time stamp on the shows as they are created.

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It's kinda funny how so many seem to like Trojan as much as they do, I mean it had some funny parts but honest I still find it to be the second worst of the lot and I think it's kinda overrated....worst being Dear Dave though IMO

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Beginning
    My opinion on this episode has remained pretty much the same in that I'm still not excessively fond of it, but it's funny and has a good storyline and great guest performances. Also, the external scenes are the most impressive of any Red Dwarf episode.

So overall, my opinions have remained pretty much static, but Lemons and, in particular, Dear Dave seem to be improving slightly with repeated viewing.

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah, I think Dear Dave improves with time as well. Rather like a fine wine 8)

Love the Cat 'don't think about it' scene :lol:

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Watching the DVD has made me want to see them all again, with the exception of Trojan. I may end up pulling out the DVD and giving them all another viewing over the coming days.

19. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Watched Fathers & Suns last night. I think I liked this on first broadcast, but found myself not liking most of it by the end. I seem to have done a complete turnaround with the first two episodes, I originally didn't like 1 but liked 2, now it's the other way round.

I doubt I'm going to like Lemons though, I thought it was the worst episode of Series X on broadcast and I'm pretty sure before I watch it that that opinion isn't gonna change!

20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I remember the first time I watched series X similar to what someone else said I was so concerned as to whether it would be any decent that it affected my appreciation somewhat. However, I could tell that it was a return to form and so much better than BtE.

Funnily enough Trojan though I could tell it was good I wasn't sure that it was great at first because the story didn't affect me as much as the series 1-6 stories and some of the episodes from 7 and 8.

Fathers and Suns I loved straight away because it took my back to series 2 and its 3 plots worked well together. Lemons I found engaging but I also disliked the plot holes and found to an extent a poor man's Tikka to Ride. Entangled I loved because it transported my mind back to series 3 to 6 with its strong science fiction. Dear Dave I found lightweight initially and the weakest while The Beginning I also was not sure of because I thought the actual story was too simplistic compared to series 1 to 6 and some of 7/8.

Second time watching as I knew the witty one-liners and continuous flow of gags was back and it was a return to comedy I found it much better. Saying that it was definitely seen by myself as a return to form the first time I watched it. Second time watching while there are still some slight imperfections the stories have grown on me too. Other points worth mentioning are the sets look almost as good as the Mel Bibby sets, the music is strong and the HD was a good bonus too.

After a number of other watches, Trojan and The Beginning and even Lemons and Dear Dave have grown on me too! Trojan is very funny and the plot is solid. The Beginning along with Trojan, Fathers and Suns and Entangled are the four stand outs for me! The Beginning has a feeling of series 6 to me with the journey off ship while Fathers and Suns and Entangled I still find very good too. Even Lemons while I still hate the plot inconsistencies as a story about religion it is very funny and it is good to see them venture off ship. Dear Dave, while two or three of the scenes are padding it is very series 1-ish and the plots I now see as just about good enough. I also think Dear Dave also has some of the funniest scenes in the entire series e.g. Rimmer's subbuteo, finger wetting, letter opening etc. It's good to see an episode completely set on ship done well 24 years later.

So I feel on the whole series X is a return to form. It's very good and I love it. Is it as affecting as series II to VI? Not quite but getting closer to that level. It's good to see the crew on their own again isolated in deep space and it has a sample of everything that is good about series 1 to 6 of Red Dwarf. I would say it is much better than BtE, more consistent than 7/8 and somewhere in between series 1 and 2-6 on the greatness scale of RD.

I really hope now with this very good re-introduction to RD that we see another series or two. I hope there is a bit heavier science fiction and locations in series XI though it was good to have a series mainly set on the ship for X. Also definitely no Kochanski though a return for or a new Holly would be good.