RDX Second Viewing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by yeckel, Jan 21, 2013.

1. a1ph4riu5

a1ph4riu5 Third Technician

I just read this comment after re-watching Trojan, and it's funny because I noticed something new this time. :-)

When the Simulant goes crazy, after Cat sticks the data stick in her neck, she shoots all the teleporters and controls. I wondered whether that was deliberately put in, to explain why they couldn't keep the teleporters, even if the rest of the ship didn't work. Not that it really needed to be explained.

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

The only thing I do wonder is in Entangled is Rimmer really likely to explore the erra stasis pods by himself? In series 4 in DNA he was so terrified that he was at the back and front of Kryten after all. Still in X you do get the feeling that in series X Lister and Rimmer are more mature and they are older after all. It shouldn't work as the Lister Rimmer sparring was integral to the show in the BBC series but somehow it does as the comedy comes through other sources. Doug has evolved his characters nicely.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Good point. He probably should have at least complained.* That never occurred to me. Then again, he did state that he felt comfortable in that place, so maybe he just felt no trepidation at that point.

*I've often thought it an interesting dichotomy that the one character least likely to be damaged or killed is the most scared for his life.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No it doesn't work. Evolving characters in a sitcom!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

5. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

It didn't work in Only Fools and Horses then? :roll:

6. simulant37

No it didn't. :roll:

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Why didn't it?

8. simulant37

Because the show got boring & unfunny when they developed the characters. It turned into a comedy drama. Which I did not like. Them all boo hooing about marital breakdowns & miscarriages etc. . .:roll:

9. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Having re-watched series X this weekend for the first time since they were originally broadcast, I have to say I enjoyed it much more this time around. It still isn't a patch on 3-6 but it is a lot better than I originally thought it was. Perhaps my expectations were set far too high or who knows, but I am finally able to say that I enjoyed X for what it was and if XI turns out to be much the same I'll probably be alright with that, but here's secretly hoping Doug gets some other writers in and Ed Bye back directing so it isn't all on his shoulders and he can use the reduction in pressure to come up with top notch story ideas and scripts.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

You could be onto something there :-) If they still worked they could've taking the ship onto the deck of Red Dwarf and made use of the teleporters and whatnot.

11. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Why did they never use the teleporter from Rimmerworld again? It was fully functional and it worked even after the simulant battle cruiser they took it from was destroyed. It's just forgotten about, and I imagine that if the teleporters in SS Trojan weren't destroyed, they'd have been forgotten about too.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

My new judgement of Series X is the series feels as good as it used to be but there are some holes in it

trojan: Apart from the phone stuff i think the first 20 min of trojan is great and some of the best red dwarf for a long time but the last 10 min gets abit over the top and lets it down

Fathers and suns: still not a fan of the chinese whispers stuff as it wasn't funny and the plot would have worked better with just the pree and listers father stuff, good episode witch a few holes

Lemons: good episode, perhaps the most creative story this series but a few of the jokes ain't that great

Entangled: is an episode that had alot of potential to be interesting but i don't think doug quite delivered as well as he could have, decent episode

Dear Dave: quite a funny episode but there is barely a story there, and the Rimmer subplot is terrible

The beginning: good episode, cool concepts, but still not a fan of the "im not your father" thing

13. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Trojan
    Probably the second best episode of X. It could have been made better though with more Arnold /Howard interaction, introducing Howard much earlier in the episode and losing the "Lister on hold" subplot which was weak, unfunny and terribly overacted at its conclusion by Craig and Robert. Overall - 7.5/10

Fathers & Suns
    Enjoyed the Lister/father stuff, and didn't mind Pree, but would have been better if the crew tried to resurrect Holly and have him/her go totally mental and they had to shut him/her down for good to save themselves. Would have put the character to rest too and gave them one last hurrah with a substantial role in the episode. Overall - 6.5/10

Lemons
    I don't hate it as much as I did on first viewing, but I still don't like it overall as an episode.Tackling religion is a no-no for a start, the jokes weren't that funny and were terribly clich├ęd. I'd say it's the weakest episode of X. Overall - 4/10

Entangled
    Finally Danny was given something to say/do this series. The Cat always seems like a forgotten character and as we haven't got a Cat heavy episode in quite some time, it was nice to see him getting some dialogue. The Rimmer subplot didn't really seem to go anywhere though and felt tacked on. Overall - 6.5/10

Dear Dave
    The charades scene went on too long and it felt like Doug couldn't think of anything to write to he just let the boys arse about for 2 minutes. The Mail Pod arriving is an idea done before in Better Than Life but this wasn't as funny as BTL. The 'finger wetting' joke was probably the only decent laugh in the episode. Overall - 5/10

The Beginning
    The best episode of X. It was actually funny, the only thing I didn't really like were the Simulants which were too cartoon-y and slapstick rather than mean and threatening like they have been in any other series we've seen them. Hogey was OK but his accent was a bit hard to understand at times. Didn't mind the Rimmer revelation and actually wonder how this will affect him in XI. A great end to the series. Overall - 8.5/10

Hopefully for XI we get Starbug back, a proper Cat themed episode (everyone else has had at least one!), a final appearance of Holly and some properly constructed and executed episodes with decent plots and tighter acting and directing.

Overall Series Score - 6.5/10

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I dip into this repeat airing of RDX every now and again (can't sit and watch the episodes in their entirety, it's just too painful) but as I'm currently working my way through the original box set again I'm very aware of how different Kryten looks. He just doesn't look like Robert Llewellyn, if that makes any sense. If it wasn't for the voice it could be anyone behind that mask.

15. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

I agree with Bluey about pop culture references that grow stale in several years -- That's why I think shows like Monty Python will be still watched in fifty years time, but not so much, say, French and Saunders.

But I'm also an American who likes learning about UK culture thru British references. Without British sitcoms, I wouldn't know that the "First Floor" is supposed to be the second. I wouldn't know what a lorry or a Hoover is. I wouldn't know who Sue Lawley or Terry Wogan are. I wouldn't respect Cricket as the greatest sport in history or the badger as the most critically endangered species. And I would understand nothing about the British universities ("Both of them").

The list goes on and on... :-D

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

8)

Oi! You wotchit! ;-) :-)

17. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Ice come to the conclusion that I must be the only one who actually likes RDX.

18. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I like it too :-D

19. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I like it as well. It's good, very good in fact. In fact, though I think Dear Dave and Lemons are slightly weaker I like all the episodes. It's not quite vintage RD but it's much more consistent than 7 and 8 and a great improvement on BTE. It all bodes well for series XI and if Doug can hone things further then it could be even better. But for now X is a very enjoyable to watch and has a lot of fans e.g. Amazon.

Also my best mate who did not like 7 post-Stoke Me a Clipper, found 8 patchy and hated BTE thinks X was good and liked it. It was never going to be equal to the II to VI peak years due to the time passed since the show's peak and only one of the co-creators working on it so if you accept that then you should like it and find it the closest to I-VI since 1993. Return to form.

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Consider this another tick in the "Like" column. The only one I'm a bit less keen on is Lemons, mainly because I think that whilst the humour there is good, there are just way too many problems with the actual storyline, but the rest includin "Dear Dave" are great.