RDXI / RDXII RDXI vs RDXII viewing figures

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by jmc2000, Oct 23, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

7 DAY DATA:

Episode 12.1 - 1.14m (second most watched show for the week outside the five terrestrial channels)
    Episode 11.1 - 1.38m (most watched show for the week outside the five terrestrial channels)

That's about as good as I dared hope. I didn't think it would do as well as RDXI because the gap is smaller - one year versus four years - so it's less of an "event". But I wanted it to clear a million and be a "ratings success" for multichannel TV. I think that's pretty good. Also, since they were filmed back to back, it's not like RDXII got a bigger budget.

As the figures come in for the rest of the series, we'll see how the drop-off compares to RDXI, and whether it's as good at holding onto viewers.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nice to see the episode getting past 1 million, and I hope the rest of the season manages this too. So what was the most watched show of the week outside the five terrestrial channels if it wasn't Cured?

jmc2000 likes this.
  3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

A (new?) Big Bang Theory, which wasn't around the year before, and got comfortably over two million (there was nothing like that for Twentica's week - and Twentica would have been second too, had it aired this week).

Abe and Bluey like this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I am mildly hopeful that everybody raving about Timewave on Twitter, etc. will bring in more viewers and help XII hold on at over a million the whole way through.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I'm glad to see this numbers. Really good score!

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Well, it's a bit of a tale of woe.

Possibly premature, because I don't have data for Skipper yet, but here are the seven day figures for X, XI and XII from BARB.

Episode 1:

X 1.98m
    XI 1.38m
    XII 1.14m

Episode 2

X 1.57m
    XI 1.34m
    XII 1.08m

Episode 3

X 1.52m
    XI 1.05m
    XII 1.13m

Episode 4

X 1.35m
    XI 1.04m
    XII 0.91m

Episode 5

X 1.56m
    XI 1.08m
    XII 0.84m

Episode 6

X 1.40m
    XI 0.96m
    XII ???

It's hard to escape the sense of diminishing returns. XII still did well for a multichannel program, so - as a fan - I hope we won't have to wait too long for RDXIII.

However, if I were a UKTV commissioner with no emotional attachment to the show, I'd be getting the message that new episodes of Red Dwarf are no longer the "event" they were, back when the ten year (post-BBC) hiatus was fresh in people's minds. I'd be considering whether the show benefits from having a 3-4 year hiatus between new series, to generate more of a buzz when it comes back.

I actually think Doug Naylor's idea of taking time out to do a stage show is quite canny. As a businessman, I'd focus on that rather than XIII now, with a view to doing XIII in four years' time. A stage show would keep the Red Dwarf brand in the public eye during a TV hiatus, serving the faithful at the same time, and there's no reason why it wouldn't sell on DVD (like the Bottom stage shows did). I'd go further and do a fifth novel too. Basically, based on the viewing figures for XII, I'd look to bring RDXIII to screens in Autumn 2021, growing the brand off-TV in the meantime.

On the other hand, I might abandon six ep series altogether, and move to a Christmas specials format starting in 2019 - since a single episode of Red Dwarf a year could do very well for Dave, I think?

Of course, as a fan :-) I hope we get RDXIII in 2019 at the latest, and RDXIV in 2020, and so on till the end of time...

7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Sorry, should have put my post regarding series 12 viewing figures in this thread - didn't realise that you were writing something similar at the same time!

8. UltraDevotee

Out of interest, would you say the divisive Timewave caused the big drop off in viewing figures for Mechocracy or were they just going to plummet anyway?

Also, do you think we will ultimately end up getting a report in the news section of this webpage to say that the viewing figures were still decent for the second half of series 12 due to more people starting to preview online?

Still, I remain slightly concerned though, but surely the audience figures are just about good enough to warrant future Red Dwarf as like you say they are still reasonably good for a digital channel and alright overall.

9. Captain Capslock

Captain Capslock Third Technician

THAT'S AN INTERESTING POINT. TIMEWAVE WAS NOT A POPULAR EPISODE BUT AS WE CAN SEE, THE FIGURES DID START DROPPING AT AROUND THIS POINT ANYWAY IN PAST SERIES'.

jmc2000 likes this.
  10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

By the same token, if I were a UKTV commissioner I'd be looking at how the figures for Dwarf compare to everything else the channel broadcasts. Yes, Dwarf doesn't do as much as it used to, but it still gets abnormally high figures for a show on a channel like Dave. I mean, Taskmaster is generally viewed as an all-round success story for Dave, and RDXII still absolutely kicked it in to touch, viewing-figures-wise.

(I get that this probably sounds defensive, it's not meant to be - just optimistic! Basically, while it is a shame to see the figures on a downward curve - and putting aside the fact that that's true of all linear TV over the past few years - Red Dwarf is still a hugely significant asset for UKTV, and far and away the most successful original commission they have. So personally I wouldn't feel worried at all about their willingness to keep commissioning it.)

11. UltraDevotee

Good points and definitely sounds hopeful for the future RD in the pipeline. Anyway, the first 3 episodes got very solid ratings and even then - like you say - the viewing figures for episodes 4 and 5 are still quite good for a non-main channel so it has still done well.

What would be interesting to know is the total viewers including those who previewed series 12 online, as I remember last year there was information that the overall total for each of the series 11 episodes surpassed 2 million which sounds really impressive!

I suppose it probably has not happened as Doug or Richard did not tweet anything about the early overnight figure for Skipper, but I still hope the BARB figure for that sixth episode classic will go up a bit, especially given that it was the massive finale where Norman Lovett returned. I hope that might have attracted a few more viewers. Still have to see tomorrow I guess, though I probably expect really for it to still go down a bit. Anyway have to see.

12. UltraDevotee

One thing I must say though is I have noticed tonight that Red Dwarf 12 is in fifth position in the TV charts for physical sales over the last week. Although I think series 11 reached number 3 last year, that still is not bad really, especially given that more of the other programmes around it were broadcast on the mainstream channels, I think. Also Doctor Who series 10 reached fifth position last week and that got far more viewers on BBC 1.

So really I don't think that is a bad result, though really I wish it could have matched the number 3 last year's DVD/Blu-ray got to. But still not bad if what I am saying is the right opinion.

13. UltraDevotee

Unfortunately, Skipper did not even make the top 30 most watched programmes at all on BARB, so another big drop. But surely as was suggested to RD fans on twitter by Doug/Richard etc. a lot of fans will have previewed the finale online straight after M-Corp or in the next few days. I refuse to believe that for a massive finale including the original Holly, old sets and last episode for at least another couple of years, that so many more people dropped out of watching it. So surely the viewers in total (including the online viewers) must be more reasonable.

But anyway, what the hey, the DVD/Blu-ray sales are top 5 for TV programmes in the UK which is not bad surely especially considering that Doctor Who series 10 reached that position as peak, while even the Dave viewing figures were high enough for Red Dwarf 12 to remain in the top 10 for non-main channels for the first four episodes which is pretty good too.

Ultimately though as long as the viewing figures are sufficiently high for there to be future RD - and I believe this to be true - I don't totally care about the ratings because after all it is what I think of Red Dwarf 12 myself. Skipper was the finest finale of the Dave-era and all the other episodes were consistent and ranged from at least very good to very strong to great so as long as there was enough interest in Red Dwarf 12 for there to be future series then all that ultimately matters is my own opinion which was series 12 was - although not totally as phenomenal as the Rob Grant co-writes - excellent. As long as Doug can maintain or even surpass the quality of his writing in series 11 and 12 and he has enough new ideas, I would even be happy to see another couple of series filmed back-to-back again! Though whether it ends up just being the one series next time - which it looks like we might get - we will have to see. Still a great couple of years just past and hopefully on wards and upwards!

14. UltraDevotee

Actually, this is a bit weird but after checking the BARB website for the tv ratings for the week of Skipper’s broadcast on Dave...it now says that it was the fifteenth most watched programme on the non-main channels and got 0.8 million viewers. It’s 28 day viewing figures were a bit higher than those for M-Corp.

So okay while that is still not 100% amazing, it is a lot better than I thought when it was originally announced that Skipper did not even make the top 30 most watched programmes on the non-terrestrial channels.

I wonder why the original figure was not correct first time around!? So basically while it is still not a massively high figure, it does now mean that each episode of Red Dwarf 12 made at least the top 15 of the digital channels most watched with the first four shows making at least the top 10. The figure was always going to fall anyway as has occurred with a lot of programmes in recent years and the drop off between series opener and finale was only 340,000 I think which isn’t too bad surely.

If you take into account the number of viewers online then surely each episode got a decent number of viewers in total.

I thought there was something dodgy about the finest episode of series 12 and last episode for at least 2 years not even making the top 30 and thankfully I have been proved right.

Surely with a decent response from critics, generally most of the fans and reasonably good viewing figures I hope, as expected, there will be a series 13!