Recommended shows for Dwarfers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by TheRimmerExperience, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TheRimmerExperience

TheRimmerExperience Skutter

I finished Red Dwarf and I need something now to fill the void that the ending of the series left in me.
    Any suggestions for other shows, maybe similar kind of style to Red Dwarf, that any of my fellow Dwarfers can recommend?

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

There are two shows that spring to mind,the first being "The Brittas Empire" which has Crhris Barrie in the lead role and is very British. He plays the part of a very annoying liesure centre manager. My other choice at the moment is a series called "Still Game" about two Scotish blokes, this is one of the funniest comedies i have ever seen, but if your American you might not understand a lot of it !! no offence intended.

3. TheRimmerExperience

Ironically, I am watching Brittas Empire now.
    I'll have to look into the other one, I actually know a decent amount of stuff about English and Scottish culture, since American culture kinda sucks XD

4. sundayforsammy

And of course there is a lot of English, Irish and Scottish people in the States as well.

If you get the whole British humour , as it seems you do , you will be in for a real treat if you can get your hands on Still Game, its not often I have watched a comedy sitting on my own, but this one i did, and still found myself in fits of laugter out loud.

By the way my humour is very alike to the Scots. I'm a Geordie which is only a few fields away from Scotland, and light years away from cockney London types. You could call it No mans Land in the political and social sense of Britain.

5. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

I would agree on Still Game being very funny and worth a look
    Hyperdrive is an other BBC sci-fi comedy, its not as good as Red Dwarf but I found it alright

If you really have time to kill you might want to check out series 1 of The Detectives (BBC), there's a couple of good episodes in that series...

& of course Faulty Towers - classic!

6. sundayforsammy

Of course, I forgot about The Detectives with Jesper Carrott. It is a great comedy to check out, I never mentioned Fawlty Towers as I didn't ocur to me that there would be a single person in the unhiverse that had not already seen this. :eek:ops:

7. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third Third Technician

You could also try The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. That has quite a bit of british humour in. It is also a classic from the pen of Douglas Adams who = Genuis! Also try some Doctor Who (Classic Series) though not a comedy it is very enjoyable, though there can be some comedy moments from Tom Baker's later serials eg: City of Death has a cameo from John Cleese which is quite funny.

8. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, the BBC radio and TV series but NOT the movie. Hitch Hikers was a huge influence in my teens and early 20's and the inspiration to watch Red Dwarf way back in 1988. Dwarf quickly supplanted HH as my sanctuary.

The funniest programme I have ever seen is Boston Legal, though your political viewpoint would probably need to lean very much towards the Democrats.

9. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

I find father ted to be wonderful, and full of witty dialog and such

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I agree with Father Ted. I love that show

...and there's always the classic Blackadder series. Or any show that features Alan Partridge.....I'm also a big fan of The Young Ones. But it is very different to Red Dwarf. A lot more abstract and anarchic

11. doggett

doggett Second Technician

LEXX

Its about a group of people who steal a planet destroying spaceship.

The crew consists of a janitor, dead warrior assasin, sex slave, and a perverted robot. It gets caled an American Red Dwarf but its so much stranger than that. Its very dark, surreal with a humour unique to itself.

Also Hattie Heyridge and Craig Charles appear in a women prison episode!

12. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Mad Wolf, I also love Boston Legal (especially the 1st 3 seasons). Have you checked out Harry's Law yet?

13. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Right you are Ted! Fr. Ted was great first time around alright

Blackadder is an other good recommendation, as it changes time period from series to series I'd have to say series 4 for me was amazing loved every second of it!

14. TheRimmerExperience

I've seen Blackadder all the way through, I loved that series too.
    I also watched Fawlty Towers, Misfits, Black Books, and I'm now getting into Brittas Empire
    I'm now looking into, from suggestions by you guys, Lexx, Hyperdrive, The Young Ones, Still Game and this one wasnt suggested, but Rob Grants "The Strangerers"
    Also, has anyone seen Dark Ages? Its another Rob Grant show but I havent heard any opinions on it.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

There are Some great reccomendations here, But i would strongly reccomend 'Spaced'. I just turned an American friend onto it (as well as Red Dwarf and Blackadder) and she loved them (espesially Spaced). Just in case you don't know already. Spaced is made by the same team, and stars many of the same actors as the films Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and the recently released 'Paul'. It's definetely worth checking out if you haven't already. Oh and Men behaving badly was a good British sitcom too, although you may want to give season one a miss (bad casting choice...or possibly badly written charactor, or both) But from season 2 onwards it's great.

As for Sc-fi with elements of comedy, i always feel you can't go wrong with 'Firefly'. Classic show pure and simple :-D

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKFjOzS-Rco

WOW! In one piece of acting Hattie just single handedly made up for every godawful "British" accent we've ever had to endure from American sitcoms over the years! :shock:

That was truly horrific characterisation.

17. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Watching that made me remember just how awesome that show is !

It can be so stupid and silly, you can't help but smile.

:-D

18. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I'm not familiar with Harry's Law - I will certainly investigate whether its made an appearance on UK tv - thanks for the tip:-) Denny Crane:!:

19. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Firefly is fantastic and the only other spacecraft & crew I've ever wanted to be on other than Red Dwarf.

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Me too :-D I think i would fit in quite well with those dudes and dudettes (especially Kaylee :-) ...ehem ;-) ) It would certainly be "Shiny" to live a life of Serenity :-D

*For those who are yet to see this Epic show (not many here i would imagin) apparantly it starts showing on The Sci-fi channel on March 6th...although personally i'd reccomend the dvd boxset*