Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I noticed on Amazon you can pre-order Series 1 on Blu Ray when it comes out 28 Feb. I think I may just have to purchase these I'm hoping the cover artwork looks pretty good too.

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Red Dwarf is Red not Blu. I dunno how this will work. :sulk:

The Cat, Abe, Asclepius and 2 others like this.
  3. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

That's odd. The Blu Rays I saw on Amazon are now gone and only the box set darnall posted the link for is now available. Weird!

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Have all he Blu Ray releases been cancelled now, nothing is showing up on amazon, also the link Darnell42 posted just says unavailable but has a date for Oct 2018. 16 Blu ray disk for the box set, that's gonna cost a bit.

5. darnall42

darnall42 Skutter

A 16 disc box set wont leave much change out of £100 and will be for the die hards only (will the ordinary punter pay £100 for a BBC red dwarf Blu-ray set when they can pick up the all the shows box set for twenty quid :-) ) anyhow i'll be saving up for it :-D

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Who is this "Blu Ray" you speak of? Is he some sort of villain like "Seedy Rom"?

7. darnall42

darnall42 Skutter

Amazon price £49.99 ,sounds too good to be true :-D

sundayforsammy likes this.
  8. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

16 disc blu ray set for £49.99 seems pretty good, I am tempted. I'm just not sure on the justification still.

Without access to any higher quality original masters (don't think any ever existed) this will surely be an upscale from the same tv stock the DVD's are based on? The description on Amazon just says "...remastered in high-definition."

The completist in me won't be able to sleep with a new Dwarf boxset knocking about though.

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It would be good if there was an official statement made on this forum or news section about these discs and what processes have been done in getting them on to Blu Ray, after all this is the official forum and the official News website, how about finding some info out on the merch. Seb ;-)

I did notice it won't be released/shipped until Oct 2018

10. The Cat

The Cat Second Technician

Watching classic Dwarf in HD... I need this!:eek::adore:
    And yeah that would be really interesting finding out how they did it and maybe we could have an image to show how it would actually compare to the original? Also it will be well worth the wait when October finally comes and we can see this!

11. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

There surely can only be two routes they took with it; first would be the "lazy" way which is often budget-related where the same master used for the dvd's are just upscaled and presented as high-definition or they do it the "proper" way and to a proper re-scan of the original master and restoration. The cynical side of me feels like this will just be an upscale.

Abe likes this.
  12. darnall42

darnall42 Skutter

Some of the early dwarf series look a little ropey on dvd now ,blu-ray will help PQ with a better encode and due to larger disc capacity the episodes wont need compressing as much to fit on the disc, so even with a standard upscale they might look better on-screen,and hopefully they could include some new extras in proper HD (a 30th anniversary doc would be nice :-) )

The Cat likes this.
  13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well Doug said this on twitter last year when asked about the blu-rays

sundayforsammy likes this.
  14. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Doug via his twitter was talking to a fan about whether there should be an audio description on the series 1-8 Blu-rays so perhaps it sounds like this project might be going ahead. Only thing is if it really is October 1 that series 1-8 is re-released can I really delay my Dwarf marathon another few months until then in order to access the hopefully superior quality? Have to see...

15. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Third Technician

i wish we could have that in Australia,
    the only thing we have is Red Dwarf on itunes/Android DVD releases Red Dwarf Just the shows P1 & P2
    BTE X and XI & XII

we never get any other stuff like books and t shirts
    you have to get them on ebay or the Red Dwarf website.

16. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Here in the Czech Republic we don't have any bru-rays and we have DVD only I - VIII.
    There are some fan e-shops with T-shirts, but not official...

17. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

But you can buy small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden in every supermarket. :nod: