Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, not being David is the most significant issue.

2. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I know you are but what am I?

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Or breaking wind AMIRITE?!

sundayforsammy likes this.
  5. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I really need to watch this again :-)

7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

8. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

End of an inning?

Ant E likes this.
  9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Although I did watch the 3 fixed episodes from series 5 before my holiday started 2 weeks 5 days ago (went to beautiful Cornwall (and rather spectacular Dartmouth, Devon too for the final 2 nights) with its rugged hills/cliffs, numerous white/golden sand beaches and turquoise seas), I had such a bad eye infection when viewing that for some parts of the episodes my vision was so blurry that I could not focus on the image. Still, it has given me a chance to re-watch those episodes yet another time before I finish my Dwarfing for about up to a couple of years - to keep it fresh and in order to watch other programmes though at least it won’t be 3 years and another 3 quarters until I do a complete Dwarfathon again as I like I have said I won’t be waiting for a new box set to be released also!

But anyway, the light is obviously not as bright as during the heatwave back in July so that has aided my judgement hopefully. As for Quarantine, now that it is properly upscaled it looks obviously a lot better than the de-interlaced version. Apart from one bit at the start where the image looks a bit off during the “launch scouter” scene - presumably this was a slightly poor bit of source tape - it is now very good, especially the first half of the episode and the model shots look stunning. It is much more befitting of the quality it should be when this episode is such a fan favourite so thanks once again for the repair.

As for the episode, well it was my favourite one to re-watch this time during my recent main January to March Dwarfathon and obviously because it forms part of the giant 5 top episodes of Red Dwarf ever, it was great to experience again despite being the 3rd time I have watched it this year.

10. UltraDevotee

My dad is a Red Dwarf fan too and wanted to watch a few episodes during my Dwarfathon and as he had missed Gunmen of the Apocalypse I also watched that with him today after Quarantine and yes this award winning, extremely lauded episode of RD never fails to amaze me and it was fun to view that again too.

Looking again at these Blu-ray Discs, I honestly think the quality - while clearly not on a par with the true HD, Dave-era - is actually very good for such old tape, a fair improvement on the DVDs and the best versions they are ever likely to be. Clearly the problem was the way they were hyped up as “glorious Blu-ray” (though it had to be promoted for it to sell) and the finished product has failed to reach some fans expectations, but I honestly feel IMHO for the price of the box set too (and with the fixed discs that arrived in the end) and the improvement in image/sound that the set is truly worth it.

Anyway, I will have to re-watch the final 2 episodes of series 5 - but the parts I could see properly before my holiday looked superb - but for now I am an even happier Dwarfer!

sundayforsammy likes this.
  11. UltraDevotee

Oh well, that's the end of my Dwarfing for probably almost 2 years - unless there are maybe some new episodes in the pipeline soon (we can only hope!) - as over the past few days I have watched Demons and Angels and Back to Reality.

Quarantine is a much improved rectified upscale but tbh I actually wonder whether the properly converted Demons and Angels and Back to Reality are superior. Demons and Angels now looks great all the way through apart from one cockpit shot near the beginning and perhaps Holly looks a bit pale towards the end. Other than that it is really good as an upscale now and much more suitable for all these modern screens.

Back to Reality is probably the finest episode of RD of all time - and yes there are so many other great ones too - and I am glad to say that IMHO it is a really great conversion. Immediately, the model scenes at the beginning on the ocean planet look massively better than the faulty disc which were pretty poor to be quite honest. The first two thirds of the episode looks the most pretty - the game playing machinery room and recuperation room scenes look particularly spectacular now (Jake Bullet's metallic head looks especially detailed now for some reason) - but that does not mean the final third is no good because of course it is a decent transfer too. In the last 10 minutes of the episode the scene with the fascist cop and the one outside the burger bar look the best while the final Starbug scene looks good. In the burger bar scene I can notice things I haven't seen before like the fascist posters being on the walls here too. The only bit of the episode that appears slightly less impressive is the car chase scene - that was always quite ropey on the DVDs anyway so it would be a bit more difficult to do - but it is still a good effort and is an improvement. Overall, Red Dwarf's finest (half) hour now looks significantly better than previous versions and much more suited to late 2010s technology.

One final note regarding the Blu-ray sets quality is I'm not sure whether it was on here or on someone's Amazon review but I would agree there is an optimum distance from the TV in terms of seeing the best quality of the upscales. i.e. if you are very close to the TV they won't look as good but surely most people seat themselves not too close to their TV and will get the best perspective of these upscales. For its price, especially, and with the replacement discs (thanks one final time) - although some people were dissatisfied with the quality of the other non-faulty series anyway - it is a very strong box set and a fair improvement on the DVDs so I would recommend it highly.

Oh well, time to take a break from Dwarf for some time and maybe I will start watching Doctor Who series 3 or resume my 90s Crystal Maze-athon that I started earlier this year. It's been great fun watching my favourite TV programme of all time throughout this year and with the perfected Blu-ray box set I am now a totally happy Dwarfer! Fingers crossed for some new Dwarf news soon but as it is almost the end of the summer and there isn't any still I am not holding on to too much hope at the moment. Still, I was wrong about the time for the replacement discs so you never know but we'll just have to see...

12. UltraDevotee

Just an additional couple of things to say...

1. Now that it is properly upscaled, in Back to Reality at the beginning of the episode I can now discern Starbug moving downwards in the ocean before the main shot of it descending. I had never noticed this before so that also shows that the box set is a true, fair enhancement.

2. While Hattie Hayridge's Holly was not totally as brilliant as Norman Lovett's she was virtually as amazing and isn't Back to Reality a great way for her to bow out with her saving the Dwarfers from suicide. While it is possibly slightly out of character for a senile computer, it still works really well and I suppose Norman Lovett's Holly invented Queeg anyway so it makes enough sense IMHO that this character was (rarely) capable of clever/great things too.