Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I have a Sainsbury shop does that count. :picard:

Nikki the Great likes this.
  2. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Blu Ray sounds like Red Dwarf’s friend.

McCloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Funny you should say that! I have a rare model of Blu Ray. It's one of a kind and I'm selling it for £9000 because someone died.

Asclepius likes this.
  4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I’ll give you £1.47 if you can produce the death certificate.

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  5. darnall42

darnall42 Third Technician

No idea,when in doubt..Google it ;-)

6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Well it's YOUR local Salisbury, not mine :sulk:

7. sundayforsammy

I'll give you nine pence and an half eaten mars bar I found stuck down the back of the settee.

Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  8. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

You an Aussie fan?

9. darnall42

Sadly there might be a fault on some of the episodes of this disc, a few episodes of series 3 and 5 are deinterlaced (lost the video look) so maybe keep the dvds for now ;-)

10. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Can you replace them and see if it's the same issue? The reason I want to buy this set is my 1 to 3 DVDs no longer work. I can't even buy them in Australia except for 1 Ebay seller wanting 100 dollars. But I can't verify the authenticity of the seller.

11. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Who are you people

12. sundayforsammy

I haven't got onto those discs yet and I want to watch them in correct order, so if you could say which episodes are affected I will have a quick check on my disks to see if I have that problem rather than wait until I an watching that series properly.

13. darnall42

all episodes of series 3 and the last 3 episodes of series 5 are affected ,so 9 episodes have lost the video effect,Hopefully the BBC issue replacement discs (like the season 12 doctor who set) If not i'll have to switch on the Auto motion plus setting on my Tv which will return the video look

UltraDevotee and sundayforsammy like this.
  14. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

I honestly expected a lot better than these blu-rays have turned out. The quality is barely above the DVD's. So much detail has been lost in the image on some of the episodes that I'm actually shocked. For example in 'Thanks for the Memory' you can't even read the number plate on the back of blue midget - and I'm watching this on a 50 inch plasma TV! It was easily readable on the DVD release. I couldn't believe it. There is a clear line on the left hand side of all the season 1 episodes which makes it look like you're watching a VHS. I thought these were meant to be remasters where they cleaned all this stuff up. The least I hoped for is that they removed a lot of the old 'bright-lights leaving a trail' on the screen but they've not even done that. So disappointed in this release - very lazy effort!

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

To be honest, I think the quality of the Blu-ray box set is the probably the best it could have been given the fact that the source is tape. Although admittedly I have only watched the whole of series 1 so far I think the image is superior to the DVDs apart from the first episode, The End, which is only a tiny bit better - "best guess" the source was not too good for that one episode.

But anyway, although I am broadly happy with the box set image quality so far like I said I have only watched the first series. To be honest, a decline in quality for the entirety of series 3 and half of series 5 - two of my top 3 favourite Red Dwarf series ever - is not good enough though and I really would like to see some replacement discs if it is feasible to resolve the issue. Really although I would have been annoyed if the release date had been delayed further, it would have been much better for them to get those series 3 and latter half of series 5 episodes right and really it is was wrong to release them in that state.

Still so far I am impressed apart from The End and hopefully series 2 - the start of Red Dwarf's glory days - will impress in me even more in its quality.

Additionally, even on my 32 inch upstairs TV I feel the image has improved from the DVDs.

16. UltraDevotee

On another note, although I do feel series 2-6 was the very finest of Red Dwarf I can see why a few fans might consider Red Dwarf series 1 to be one of the best series and not the more action-based series 3 onwards.

In series 1, although there are stories - although not as sophisticated as what came next but blatantly superior to the terrible half of series 8 - for the most part of each episode it is just the four of them talking in space with all the witty banter, one-upmanship and personality clashes fuelling such first rate dialogue. As well as it being highly funny the talk can be even quite thoughtful occasionally and convey the isolation of deep space. So yes although in series 1 the stories - apart from Future Echoes - were not as clever/developed as what was to come I can see why some fans say this is one of their top Dwarf series because it is mainly the four guys talking for most of the episodes and that is a strength too and offers an alternative to the more hectic series 3 and onwards.

Although I think series 2-6 were the glory days of Red Dwarf, I have really enjoyed series 1 and would rate the final four episodes at a very good and solid 8 out of 10 each. It was so great to enjoy Confidence and Paranoia on Saturday night - shame because of waiting for the Blu-rays I delayed my Dwarf marathon watch to 3 and two thirds years since the last one! Still got to say so far although I am bracing myself for the downturn in quality for series 3/some of series 5 episodes, I am glad I delayed it so far as the box set is decent enough IMHO at the moment.

17. UltraDevotee

On the Official Charts Company website, the series 1-8 box set is third highest selling Blu-ray item of the week. Additionally, the box set is also the second highest selling in the TV chart (and that includes DVD sales of the other items also). That's pretty good surely, especially given that the response to it has been mixed to say the least and Doctor Who series 11 - which is above it - is obviously purely new material.

18. darnall42

Apart from the series 3 and 5 dodgy episodes,i think this has been a worthwhile purchase-series 2,6,7 and 8 look better to my eyes than the DVDs (series 1 looks a little on the soft side) the new menus on the blu rays are nice and having the bodysnacther bonus disc included is great (I'm rubbish at finding the easter eggs on dvds so it's handy to have them in one place ;-) ) Hopefully the beeb can sort out the problems with the discs

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Someone asked who I was...I am mostly that.
    Or at least, that is the definition that you are most likely able to comprehend.

20. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I bought the set but have not viewed any of it yet.
    Having worked in video restoration before I don't expect much.
    I simply bought it because I want to support GNP.
    Oh and I wanted to get them before civil war breaks out and dogs and cats start living together.