Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Cheers UltraDevotee , email sent. Will see how long it takes for a reply.

2. sundayforsammy

Well all I got back was an automated response from that email address.

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

The first message I got back was the automated response message but then a minute later I got the proper reply I wanted.

I am sorry to hear they have been slower to respond to you but hopefully you will get a proper reply soon too all being well. Fingers crossed.

4. sundayforsammy

Good to hear you initially got the automated message first, I will wait and see what happens, fingers crossed.,

5. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Could someone provide a list of the "defective" discs and what the exact issues are?
    This thread is a mix of reviews, personal opinons and interesting thoughts ....

6. UltraDevotee

The entire series 3 Blu-ray disc is faulty while the second half of the series 5 one is likewise. It is an encoding problem - a deinterlacing error with the picture - that occurred when the tape was converted into digital for those nine episodes. I hate to disappoint but I personally would have to describe those technical expressions in a Holly describing what a Stasis Leak is back in series 2 way, but I can at least say the fault affects the quality of the visuals at least.

Sorry I turned this thread into one more about opinions and reviews towards the episodes and their transfers to Blu-ray, I suppose it would have been better to have written my feelings about each one in a more relevant thread. Still, I hope someone can provide you with a better explanation of the technical terms used to describe the faults.

7. sundayforsammy

I enjoyed reading all your reviews on the BluRays Ultradevotee.

After the initial automated response from BBC I never got a reply. @UltraDevotee perhaps you could post the main complaint content to the BBC in your email so that others may use that as a template knowing that you got a response.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  8. UltraDevotee

That's disappointing to hear that you did not get a response from that e-mail address I gave you. What I found most strange is exactly a week ago today I wrote and got a response within 6 minutes i.e. immediately even though it was late afternoon. So it's a shame that they did not even reply to you at all.

I suppose if I had not advised you about that e-mail address I got from someone else who had written about the faults in an Amazon review and had not advised you to write to it, it would have made me look even worse not telling you when you were asking about getting replacements after I got a response.

It is a shame really and I do not understand why you did not get a reply because the BBC I read - somewhere on Amazon or was it on this forum - had to replace some Doctor Who Blu-rays released faulty a few years ago so surely everyone should be entitled who wants them.

The one thing I did make a mistake over though was it took me 6 days to write to them (and then mention about it on here straight after I got a reply) after that e-mail address was edited into that customer's Amazon review which was lazy of me. I really hope it is not a first come first served thing that is happening.

In terms of the content of my e-mail this was it:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I received the Red Dwarf series 1-8 Blu-ray box set from Amazon on 14th January and all the episodes of series 3 and the second half of series 5 are faulty, as a lot of fans are saying. I was wondering if I could please have replacement Blu-ray discs for series 3 and 5 (the ones with the upscaled episodes on)? I have attached a screenshot that shows my Amazon orders screen as a proof of purchase and the box set is the second item down, bought as a pre-order on the 5th January. It was taken on my Windows 10 machine so I hope it should be easy to open.

If you can replace the 2 discs then my delivery address is:

[insert address]

If you can please help me with this matter I would be most grateful.

Yours faithfully,
    [insert name]

Well, all I can say now is if you do decide to write to it again I hope this is helpful. Understandably, and I hope this does not sound over-apologetic, if you don't get a response again feel free to unlike my post advising people to write to the DVDSupport e-mail address. After all, if you didn't get any response then that advice was no good and not likeable.

TBH, as you did not even get a reply it is making me a bit worried as to whether even I will get the dodgy discs replaced though in Talkie's e-mail from the BBC it mentioned it will take up to 6 weeks to reproduce them so looks like I will have to wait 4 more weeks.

I suppose there are far worse things then having to put up with the series 3 and 5 episodes in their current form but ultimately they are truly defective and need replacing for everyone. So I really hope that in a few weeks time, I and everyone else who is interested will get them.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  9. UltraDevotee

Just another thing, thank you for what you said about my reviews btw. I suppose what I meant was for organisation's sake they should really have been posted in a more relevant thread (regarding the episode thoughts) to concentrate this more about the actual Blu-rays. But although perhaps I did go on a bit about certain episodes it was enjoyable to chat on here about them with you all especially as I only go on a Dwarfathon every 3 years typically and I also tend to be on here not as long as other forum members when I am not watching any Dwarf or there is no Dwarf news.

I've only got half a series left of my Dwarfathon to go so it is a shame that it is almost up...but it has been a great ride! And as I waited so long for the Blu-ray box set and the time between this and my last Dwarfathon was over 3 and a half years I will probably have another marathon watch again in less time...maybe 2 and a half years this occasion. Still a long time of course...but I do like to refresh the episodes after all and it is a year less than last time.

If I do get the discs replaced as the Beeb have said at the moment then I will do a mini-marathon watch of series 3 and 5 though and of course there are Xtended/Remastered episodes in 7 and 8 to re-watch also at some point...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  10. UltraDevotee

One final idea and yes it is obvious...although it would have frustrated me a bit as my Dwarfathon would have been delayed further, why did the BBC not delay the release of the series 1-8 Blu-rays until all the episodes were perfect. Unless they really did not know there were issues with 9 of the shows to be fair, really it should have been kept back until it was all as decent as it could be.

11. sundayforsammy

My guess is it would be a manufacturing fault that was not found at QC. There is no way anyone would release knowingly faulty discs as replacements eat into profit.

12. UltraDevotee

Yes that was a bit silly of me that I possibly might of thought that. Really the BBC are being good to replace the faulty discs as it appears they are at the moment, as long as everyone who should be entitled are provided with them if it’s what they want.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I'm slowly coming through my Red Dwarf Blu Ray rewatch. (I'm watchnig all the extras too...) Series VI looked really good. Only bad thing is that green paint on Starbug looks bit dull, but otherwise the FX shots are great.
    As for Series VII, it looks like made today. I watched the remastered version of Tikka to Ride and the CGI looks really solid. Even the not-remastered CGI in other episodes looks less crap.

UltraDevotee and sundayforsammy like this.
  14. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I got a fairly quick response stating it will take approx. 4 weeks for a new run....
    At which point the UK will likely have drowned in utter chaos because of an idiotic choice by a load of misinformed bafoons most of whom have likely shifted off the mortal coil this damning future generations bath in wretched sorrow....

Good luck with all that...
    *puts self on probation...

15. McCloud

McCloud Second Technician

I got a response asking me for proof of purchase but I received the blu ray set as a gift! I've asked them if there is an alternative way to acquire the discs.

16. sundayforsammy

Finally I got a response after I sent a second email, the reply was a little short and said we already have your details. It looks like my original email got through but their first reply never got back to me.
    At least i'm on the list.

17. UltraDevotee

Pleased to hear that you finally got confirmation and I too am really looking forward to the new discs. Although I finished Skipper Thursday last week, I will have to soon watch the Xtended episodes in 7 and 8 and then watching the series 3/5 Blu-ray discs in their fixed form will come after and separately. In fact, I will look forward to rewatching series 5 in particular because Quarantine was my favourite episode to re-experience on this most recent Dwarfathon. And of course series 3 is my joint third top Red Dwarf series along with series 4 (4 I am so impressed with now with its sophisticated sci-fi that it makes it into joint 3rd position).

18. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Well now they have until 12 April to get them to me... or maybe longer...

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Kinda glad I held off ordering these, considering the fault. I wonder how long it will be before the corrected editions are available in the shops.

20. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Anyone got the fixed discs yet?
    Looks like they will still arrive under EU rule unless something stupid happens..