Red Dwarf books

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laporbo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

Been trying to hunt down all the RD books but have a few questions.

Does anyone have a complete list of them?

Did they all come in hardback and paperback?

Why are they so expensive? Did they have really low print runs?

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I may be wrong but I believe there were 5 novels in all:

Red Dwarf (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers)
    Better Than Life
    Red Dwarf Omnibus (the first two books together with a couple of extra bits included)
    Last Human
    Backwards

Then there are other factual books like the series 8 companion and Stasis Leaked.

Of course I could be totally wrong about all this as i've never read the books.

However I did get them off Amazon last week. I bought the Omnibus, Last Human and Backwards for 1p each. So with p&p about £2.50 each. They are used but in top nick still. So will have to settle down on a cold wintry night and read them....

According to Amazon you can get the novels in soft and hardback.

:-)

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

As Presuming Ken says, the four books are:

Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, or possibly just Grant Naylor)
    Red Dwarf: Better Than Life (Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, or possibly just Grant Naylor)
    Red Dwarf: The Last Human (Doug Naylor)
    Red Dwarf: Backwards (Rob Grant)

(forgot about the Omnibus which, as Presuming Ken says, is IWCD and BTL together with a few extra bits, such as "the beermat" that initial ideas allegedly were scribbled on, and I think a Son Of Cliche script and the series pilot script - well worth finding)

Various other companions and spin-offs exist - I think I've got an old Quiz Book, Space Corps Survival Guide, two companions and The Log. Script books are available - I think one is called "Primordial Soup" which, IIRC, had the script for Psirens (and was released just before series 6 aired).

4. Laporbo

Thanks for the info. I'm finding a bunch on Amazon and eBay but just can't believe used paperbacks are that much.

There is a brand new Omnibus for $28. Is that high?

About the Omnibus, is it just the first 2 books as written and then extra sections of bonuses or is there new content in the pages of the first 2 books?

5. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Oh yeah, Primordial Soup. I had that when I was at school. Think it had 5 scripts in: Psirens, Back to Reality, Dimension Jump, Marooned, Polymorph? Think it was those 5 anyway :-)

6. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I am currently reading Stasis Leaked by Jane K. Very good book, extremely well written.
    Lots more from Mel B. and Peter W. who are no longer with us.

Quite a few quips that I have not seen anywhere else.

I highly recommend supporting her!

7. Laporbo

Well, I just ordered 10 books and one radio show (pt 2 -- I got pt 1 years ago).

There is one book showing that is just called "Red Dwarf" and has a cover I've never seen. Anyone know what this is?

[​IMG]

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's one of the versions of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. There's some info about it in a recent post.

9. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Here's a complete list of all the publications I used as reference when writing my own book:

Novels
    • Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers
    • Better Than Life
    • Red Dwarf Omnibus
    • Last Human
    • Backwards

Magazine and Smegazine articles, interviews and comics
    • Red Dwarf Magazine v1 (1-2)
    • Red Dwarf Smegazine v1 (3-14)
    • Red Dwarf Smegazine v2 (1-9)

Roleplaying Game
    • Core Rulebook
    • A.I. Screen (including Extra Bits booklet)
    • Series Sourcebook

Books
    • The Official Red Dwarf Companion
    • Red Dwarf Programme Guide
    • Red Dwarf Space Corps Survival Manual
    • Primordial Soup
    • Son of Soup
    • Red Dwarf Log No. 1996
    • The Log: A Dwarfer’s Guide to Everything
    • Red Dwarf Quiz Book
    • A Question of Smeg
    • The Making of Red Dwarf
    • Red Dwarf VIII
    • Ganymede & Titan presents the Garbage Pod
    • Stasis Leaked Complete
    • Random Abstract Memory
    • The Man in the Rubber Mask

10. Laporbo

NICE!! Thanks! I've been reading your posts about your book and I'm a buyer when done :-)

11. Laporbo

Funny. Was looking through my RD box and found that I already had a copy of Better Than Life. I pulled it out to read someday and began to wonder why I hadn't read it before. Days later I figured out why. Its signed by both authors. I had forgotten all about it.

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Good list, Karnie, although I count one thing you're missing: Scenes From The Dwarf

Also, it's worth noting that the Howarth/Lyons programme guide has four distinct editions, issued in 1993, 1995, 1997 and 2000. Confusingly, despite having different covers and interior text, the first two editions both seem to have the same ISBN...

(I've put together an exhaustive list of every RD book, including international editions, and their ISBNs. I'll do something with it on the site at some point, promise.)

13. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Thanks for all that info Karnie! Looking forward to Seb's list as well.

14. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

ACK!! DAMN! How did I not know about these! Thanks, Seb!
    With the Program guide(s), do you recall if there's anything that would be considered "new" in-universe material in any of the versions, or are they all basically about the show itself? I really can't imagine hunting down all four versions of it, especially if it won't add anything.

15. DeafDwarf

DeafDwarf Skutter

I really enjoy the novels. It a real shame that there been few Red novels. Maybe one day there be novels by different writers like they do with the Doctor Who books.

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I seem to recall Andrew Ellard once telling me on here that Doug did not necessarily intend Last Human to be the final word on Dwarf novels, so (if my memory isn't fooling me) it may well be that Doug decides to write further Dwarf novels in the future.

17. Laporbo

I have 2 of these and both are little orange pocket books (I have a single and one in a box set with other books). Were these only in the pocket version?

I was going to ask that as well. I found that I have had the 2nd Revision for over a decade but have never read it. It has a whole "Supplemental Log" section in back. I assume that is the new stuff added since 1st Rev. Correct? Then I'd assume the 3rd Rev has something similar.

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I only actually have the last revision of the Programme Guide at the moment, so I can't check for sure, but I believe that each successive edition added another series (so the first one goes up to V, then VI, VII and VIII are added in successive editions), with the "supplemental" material also being extra bits and bobs. I'd imagine they probably made a few copyedits and corrections over the various editions, as well.

And yes, Scenes From The Dwarf is just that little Penguin 60s pocket edition. I've never seen it in the box set form but it makes sense that it would have been included in one. You see Penguin 60s a lot in second-hand book shops and charity shops, but I've never seen a SFTD in one, which I think adds to the legend around it being the "incredibly rare RD book" (as did James Bull's interview on this very site!). It doesn't seem to be as rare/valuable as it used to be (around seven or eight years ago you could comfortably get £30-40 for one), but I think it is one of the rarer of the Penguin 60s series.

19. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Crap... I only have the second edition. Looks like I need to pick up the third revised book to make sure I've covered everything. Crap.

20. DeafDwarf

DeafDwarf Skutter

One can only dream.