Red Dwarf books

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laporbo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I would actually find it pretty strange if Doug wrote another book now because I regard Last Human as close to best possible ending to Red Dwarf I could envisage. Maybe Rob Grant will write another one since he left his version of Dwarf more open.

It just goes to show though, that if Doug can write another book after Last Human people shouldn't be concerned about not being able to imagine more adventures if the TV show is given a similar "ending".

2. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

Well, I've been bad. Since I now have a list of RD books I don't have I decided to fix that. 3 days later and I have 18 books flying about the globe with a final destination of my mailbox. Yay! All used paperbacks but those were the cheapest. A few more to find and then I tackle the audio books/radio shows.

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Why don't you smeg off you annoying little smegging smegger?

(at the spammer - where's a report button when you need one...)

EDIT - okay, the smegging smegger smegged off.

4. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

LOL... OK, just got the "Scenes from the Dwarf" book.... was NOT expecting it to be a tiny little pocket book! I had to laugh when I opened the envelope. OK, now just have to find the Third Revised edition of the Programme Guide; I thought I had purchased it but they sent me the wrong one, so now I have the original and second revised version.

5. Laporbo

Just 4 more books yet to arrive. The stack is huge. So now its time to start reading. Some I've flipped through and found they were pretty silly and kind of a waste of money (Log, Survival Guide).

I have a few more questions for those so inclined...

1) I have the individual Infinity/BTL, the American book club combo version (mentioned earlier in this thread), and the Omnibus. Which do I read? I'm assuming the Omnibus since it has "unmissable new material". Do the originals or the book club version offer anything?

2) I notice that the American book club book is 2 years before Omnibus. Did Penguin or G/N see the success of the American combo and decide to release their own?

3) Back to question 1 for a sec. If I can hunt down the audio book and/or radio show should I just skip the books altogether? Would I miss anything?

4) About the radio shows. I picked up a Vol 2 but noticed the one I already had does not say Vol 1. I can't find a picture of Vol 1 to verify its what I have. So does Vol 1 just say Radio Show?

5) Is "Beer Mat" British for "coaster"? :-)

6. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Dunno if anybody has heard.....better than life is being played on Radio 4 Extra this week read by Chris Barrie,may be on the listen again section of BBC website if you've missed it.

7. Laporbo

This was my RD book collection when I started this thread.

[​IMG]

This is what it is now, after getting the full list in the thread.

[​IMG]

There are a few duplicates. Some I forgot I had and ordered them and some came in lots so I had no choice.

Just thought I'd share because its crazy.

I guess I'll just start reading the Omnibus.

8. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's the book to the right of Craig Charles' Log book? I don't recognize it.

Oh and I found this, it's an unauthorized quiz book, and as far as I can see it's in e-book format only, but thought you might want to check it out if you're trying to collect everything.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What is that stack of books at the back?

10. Laporbo

Its not an official book, therefore nothing important :-) Its called "The Small Rouge One" and is a US fanzine full of fan made RD stories. Just got it because I'd heard of it and it was there. No idea if its any good (yet) or how many were printed.

Thanks for the tip on the other quiz book! I'll check it out.

11. Laporbo

That is just the Penguin boxset that the one on top came from. Its got the RD book plus a bunch of other books, including a Stephen King. I included it in picture because I have the one in the box and the single version on top.

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I hope one day all the books come out on Kindle/iTunes books... I prefer to read digitally than on paper and don't like lumping books around with me all the time when an ipad will suffice :P

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I am contemplating buying Stasis Leaked & the updated version of Man in the Rubber Mask soon. Are some of the other books mentioned here worth getting? I did look at The Red Dwarf Log but I've heard mixed reviews. :?

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The four novels and Rubber Mask are essential for Dwarf fans. The Log should be avoided at all costs.

15. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

A lot of 'making of' and behind the scenes books just rehash the same stories over and over again; "Blah blah blah we had no money", "Blah blah blah I hated the mask". But G&T's Garbage Pod book was actually a very entertaining read, as it examined the show from a fan point of view, not an insiders.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Got the novels. Rubber Mask is a definite buy now.

The G&T one sounds intriguing. I do enjoy reading the articles and listening to the dwarfcasts, so it might be worth a look.

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The book's editor is really handsome and attractive and clever and stuff.

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Any word on e-book versions of them on iTunes or Kindle?

19. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

And modest, apparently.. ;-)

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Reading the RD novels (yet again) and was wondering if anyone else spotted the huge continuity error in chapter 10 of Last Human.

At the start of the chapter, Lister and a dozen rouge droids are hovering over Cyberia, ready to rescue Lister's other self from the colony. In order to get into the compound, Lister fires his bazookoid into the plexiglass dome, causing it to collapse in on itself. But then later, towards the end of the mission/chapter, when the rest of the crew have disabled the asteroid's electricity supply (including the Artificial Gravity Unit), Lister finds himself floating up towards the depths of the colony's lake (which is now hovering above him because of the absence of gravity). In order to save himself, he has to kick a hole in the dome roof so that the water can escape into the atmosphere, thus allowing him to surface and breath what's left of the oxygen.

Why does he have to kick a hole in the dome roof when he's already destroyed it with a bazookoid in order to get in the first place?