Red Dwarf books

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laporbo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Maybe it was a different part of the dome?

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But if the dome's roof had been breached anywhere, then the water would have found that hole when the Anti-Grav Unit was turned off.

Without gravity the dome becomes just an upside down bowl, and like a bowl any hole in it is where the water would escape.

3. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Maybe, as a part of the security system, once the dome is breached it is replaced with a force field. (which they wouldn't use all of the time as it would take up too much power). By the time the water was floating, it was getting weaker because it had been on too long, and so Lister was able to break it.

This is just an idea, as I'm pretty sure the real reason is that Doug forgot.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:lol: Well that's my theory, put it that way, hence me calling it a continuity error as opposed to a plot hole. I wouldn't mind but it all happens within the same chapter and in the space of about 9 pages.

But it doesn't end there; Doug's memory seemingly gets even worse by chapter 11, in which Lister's other half is saving Lister' life after he drowns at the end of chapter 10. When the electricity (and the AGU) is turned back on, the two of them fall back towards the empty lake (after getting their clothes snagged on the broken structure, explaining why they hadn't been dragged into deep space by this point), and miraculously the lake begins falling back down with them, filling the bed just enough to cushion their fall slightly. This is after all the water had leaked out of the hole Lister had kicked in the dome's roof, and into outer-space when the AGU was turned off at the end of chapter 10.