Red Dwarf CGI/animated movie?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Sep 18, 2011.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i was recently reading a doug naylor interview on the G&T website from back 2007 and doug says

whats everyones views on that? would an animated movie work?

2. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I'd really like to see the movie script. The storyboarded "lost" episodes worked fairly well on the DVDs, and anything's better than Hugh Grant playing Rimmer!

3. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Hmm, depends how it's done doesn't it? There are so many ways of creating an animated film, it would be interesting to see what direction it could take. My preference would be a 2/3D computer animation (but only if Pixar were doing it ;-) ) or else Studio Ghibli, but I guess everyone has there own tastes.

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

OoooooOooo if it was done well and if it had its own unique animation style, I would be very interested.

Why is it my phone thinks I want to type erik, when I try to write well? In car waiting for my daughter, who will be late.

5. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Yes it could work beautifully, maybe anime style or classic toon style or fully cgi, but keep it sensible and not go flying off the wall.

6. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I suppose there are still a huge number of options for what Doug could do with the script...and the idea of an animated movie isn't one that would get me particularly excited. Of course it could work well, but I can't visualize exactly how.

Personally I would be more interested had Doug taken the offer to recast way back when. I believe the offer was that he could have picked whichever stars he wanted and, had they been chosen correctly, there's no reason why the movie couldn't have been successful.

But I would still just prefer the script to be issued in book form with writer notes, drawings etc.

While Doug is still hopeful of making the movie I presume we won't get any of these things though. I'm not too sure whether the reason he is making stuff for the TV is for its own sake or to try to get some more exposure to help with movie funding.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think he had that degree of freedom. He wanted the current series cast members after all, and even if you mean 'anyone more established from a Hollywood/Films point of view', I'm sure the production company would have had the last say.

I'm glad he stood his ground there.

As for an animated version, I think I'd actually prefer 2d to 3d*, but I'd be interested in seeing either. Or an interesting mixture of the two, i.e 2d for bunk room character stuff, 3D models for ship-scape wide-view stuff. Like they do with Futurama but in a more realistic style.) I'm not keen on an amime style for this though. I like some of it but I'd prefer to keep this a more Western animated style. Granted that covers a broad spectrum, and there's no such thing as a specific style, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

*By 3D, I'm talking about the rendered animation style not the 'coming at ya' cinematic 3D style. Although.... ;-)

8. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

I remain convinced that if Doug simply proposed to rotoscope the cast footage, he'd have been been able to sell it as an multi animated film to the UK film council.

They proposed Hugh Grant for the part of Lister BTW. Of all the parts in Red Dwarf's main cast, Rimmer is probably the best for him.

9. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Well, I'm pretty sure that Andrew said that he was given the option of recasting with names (either British or American) and he turned that down. I can respect his decision and it's admirable that he wanted to stick with the main cast. And while I'm sure the studio would have wanted some say in casting, Doug would have had plenty of freedom as well. One fool may have suggested Hugh Grant for Lister but the rest were sensible in proposing that the current cast be replaced by established film stars.

10. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Now this I would love to see. But I would love to see this in more of a traditional animation format more like Futuama but with their own style of jokes and gags in the tradition of the original show. I remember a Mr. Bean animated show but its too bad the gags and jokes were a bit watered down for the sake of a young children audience. People forget that children do love good jokes and gags. Its not like kids don't get stuff that adults find funny?

Anyways if this kind of show ever gets made,lets just hope that animation is not viewed as just for kids and pot heads.