RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

What's wrong with you?!

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

You know I actually agree on some level, those of us who haven't seen any of the episodes or been to any of the recordings can't really say how good it will or won't be.......I myself am siding on cautious optimism as regards to what I've seen so far but ever that is not enough to get a full opinion on.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

See, Simmy, it's the way you often present your views as a fact that can get under people's skins. Not everyone agrees with your assessment. It's also hugely simplistic to attribute the weaker quality of these series as being solely down to Rob Grant's departure and we've been over this many times. It shouldn't need pointing out again that the cast changes and changes to the premise and structure of the show itself in series VII and VIII are big reasons why those series are disliked and are percieved not to have worked as well as I-VI. Having Rob Grant around wouldn't have negated those.

Back to Earth was not supposed to be a sitcom or "classic" Red Dwarf. It was its own entity so it shouldn't even enter the equation of possible things to pre-judge the quality of series X on.

Series X restores the show to its core premise, it restores the core cast and it restores the live audience. It is the first time Doug Naylor has written a series of Red Dwarf that is in the exact mold of the series you loved.

So why on Earth would you pre-judge it on series that were nothing like this one and not, instead, be cautiously optimistic given all of the above? Doug Naylor is not some hack who has been drafted in after the original creator's left the show; yet to read many people's assessment of him you would think he spent the entirety of I to VI making cups of tea while the amazing Rob Grant personally wrote every line of script!

Yes, you can. I have my doubts too and sometimes post them here but until I've seen it I'm going to weigh up the evidence and say that this has the potential to be exactly the sort of Red Dwarf we used to love. I don't expect it to scale the brilliant heights of the early days but I honestly expect it to be of a much higher storytelling standard than I found VIII to be and much funnier than I found VII to be.

4. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Not even in the same league. Marooned is one of the greatest episodes to date. We haven't seen enough of X yet to compare but from what has been shown so far.... As mentioned above, let's keep our fingers crossed. Reviewers who have seen an actual episodes say its like series 5 and 6. 5 and 6 were not alike. 5 was the end of the classic era. 6 was very different.

5. Slainmonkey

There are some similarities between season 5 and 6 in that both seasons seem to fall deeper into the scifi themes of the series and put the characters into more dangerous situations of which they were ill equipped to handle.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

To be abit optimistic i mean't the interaction between lister and rimmer was very similar to that in marooned which i feel can only be a good thing

but to whether or not you like the joke in the clip i wasnt saying it was to the standard of great jokes marooned had

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Maybe people should watch the full series before judging it on three 10 second clips!! Yawn!!!

8. jaybo1973

Looking at it like that, I guess you are right. I always thought 4 and 5 were more simular though. Ill equipped for? They were ill equipped for everything that they encountered lol

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well I honestly don't! It doesn't have the potential because one of the writers left. You say I am being overly simplistic but the evidence speaks for itself. You say its down to cast changes, which may be unavoidable, but also changes to the premise & structure of the show which are obviously down to decisions by the writer!! Who else?!? In fact even the decision to continue when one of the main cast left is a writer's decision & to me really demonstrates Doug's lack of quality control. So things may have been very different if Rob was still around! They are a writing team & work best together, evidenced by their equally poor solo efforts! :x

& its surely a real stretch to say that Back to Earth was not meant to be a sitcom or classic Dwarf, so don't use it to judge RDX. What was it meant to be?!? Did Doug really sit down & say I want to make a show that is not a sitcom or classic Dwarf, but I'll just lazily rework an old plotline & add pointless references to Blade Runner while making it not funny! :roll:

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Chris Barrie. It was his flip flopping over whether or not he wanted to be involved in more Dwarf that caused the cast to have to be reshuffled. He only wanted to do four episodes. Do you honestly think Doug Naylor wanted to do Red Dwarf without Rimmer? He didn't have any choice, his hand was forced by the actor and he did the best he could to keep the show going based around what he (correctly) anticipated to be a temporary decision by Chris Barrie, with the obvious thought in mind that Barrie would more than likely come back for future series and definitely for a movie.

Writing an evolving TV series isn't like writing a novel. The writer has to cope with all kinds of problems. Cast leaving, budget problems (see Duct Soup). The idea that the writer has total control and can craft the show to be EXACTLY as his perfect vision would allow it is really naive and, yes, massively over simplifying things.

Or it demonstrates his perseverance, his commitment to the rest of the cast, his commitment to telling stories set in a universe he loves and he knows many others love and his belief that the quality of the ensemble cast could manage Rimmer not being in a whopping four whole episodes which for the large part they did. Series VII isn't my favorite series and I loathe the character of Kochanski but I still enjoyed many of the episodes, particularly the very worthwhile ones that Chris Barrie was in!

They MAY have been different if Rob Grant was around...they may also have been even worse. Have you any idea what the "musical differences" were when you make this analysis? I've heard snatches of it from Rob Grant while being interviewed and I can't say that his proposed direction would have been popular at all.

No, it isn't: Neither in the eyes of people who watched it or indeed in the eyes of people who have eyes. It's quite obviously a TV movie featuring a cast of characters familiar to us from the earlier franchise. It's still a comedy, it's still sci-fi but it's a totally different format. I find it incredulous that you're unable to seperate BTE from your firm belief that Red Dwarf can only ever be a sitcom. I know you haven't read the novels but I honestly wonder how you think they work? Do you believe they are an attempt to be a sitcom? Do you believe the proposed movie was going to be a sit-com?

No, because that isn't what he did. It's an unfair, lazy, one dimensional analysis of it based on the apparent belief that Doug Naylor finished the script and then thought "heh, heh, heh, phew, got away with another one!" instead of taking what was commissioned to be an hour long comic relief style piece of nonsense fan service and instead making it into a polished looking piece of television that paid tribute to the original show while satirizing it, giving it a genuine emotional core and succesfully using it to reboot the franchise so that the sitcom style Red Dwarf you love so much could actually have a shot at being made again in the first place.

But perhaps in your eyes we'd have been better off just going with the original premise of a naff comic relief style caper that would have saved Doug spending all of his own money and saved all of those people giving their time and services for FREE to give a product they love the chance to be reborn as the new series that the vast majority of us cannot wait to see.

11. Slainmonkey

12. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

i really liked the previous clips but the latest one i think is the weakest so far to tell the truth im not too worried about the comedy as from what ive seen i think its going to be good i just hope each episode has a entertaining sci fi story which i think was very important pre series 7 & 8 if they do that i think this could be classic dwarf:-D

13. jaybo1973

14. simulant37

Another very obvious 'gag'. Oh dear. RIP Red Dwarf :roll:

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Ha, I thought that was a better clip than some of the others. Just over two weeks to go, personally I can hardly contain my excitment for the return of Red Dwarf. :-D

16. omnomnominous

omnomnominous Third Technician

The one thing I keep noticing on anything featuring Kryten is the constant arm twitching. Although to be honest I'm not sure if he always did that and I'm only just noticing it now, since I'm probably picking out small details more when watching short trailers than with a full episode.
    I'm remaining fairly neutral, even though some clips are stronger than others I'll have to see the whole thing in order to form any proper opinion on it. Still can't wait.

17. simulant37

Yep Kryten does seem to back in Herman Munster mode! :roll:

18. Slainmonkey

I'm not going to scream doomsday because there happened to be a clip I didn't like.....but I will be honest about that fact I found that gag to be a dud. Never the less that doesn't hurt my enthusiasm (well cautious enthusiasm) of what's to come. It's best to not sign a show's death warrant because of one weak joke.

19. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Every episode of Red Dwarf has a gag that some deem weak and others love. One small gag isn't the end of the world. It does play on a stereotype of Kryten being obsessive about cleanliness, sure, but I'm sure there are many people who aren't the biggest fans of the show or who are relatively new to it who'll love it because it's new to them. I was expecting jokes along those lines anyway, I mean, it's been nearly 15 years.

One other point: I find this scene similar to the one of cat chasing the laser. But many people loved that. I'm wondering what the big difference is.

20. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

cat chasing the laser wasn't actually part of the series, it was jsut an ad. This appears to be a scene from the show.

However, I did laugh at it, might be an obvious joke, but as mentioned above, for new viewers, better to introduce krytens cleanliness with a joke than just flat dialogue. I laughed, so I'm happy :-)