RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Kinda looks like Chris Barrie is nearly cracking up in one shot

3. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

As Bluey said, I thought it was a good visual gag (made me laugh at least). Although for some reason I feel that Chris's acting was a bit off-kilter and seemed more exaggerated/forced like many Series VIII scenes. Though who am I to complain about a 20s clip?

4. Slainmonkey

Also it could be a case of it looking worse out of the momentum of the scene, it feel like there was dialog before an after and that in itself could upset the flow a bit. I do however agree that he seemed to be overacting a tad.

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Well doesn't have the feel of series 5 as many have said it does, but it was only a short clip.

Decided to put Dave on for 10 mins. God it is painful. They are just sitting the trial

Just saw the 1 second fly by of the new ship. I don't know what to think of it. It shocked me a bit

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Chris does tend to overdo Rimmer's tetchiness these days. I also noticed this during Back To Earth. He needs to have a look at some of his performances in the earlier few series when he played Rimmer with much more subtlety. Rimmer still had the tetchiness, but it appeared less forced and more natural.

7. Slainmonkey

To be honest I think the it could have done with a retake, it kinda seemed like Barrie was staring off at nothing and kinda rushing over his line. Rimmer rarely talks that fast so it could partly be due to some inexperience in Doug Naylor's direction just as much as it was Barrie. Though as I said it could play better in the scene or more to the point be less noticeable......in a short clip like that you can't help BUT to notice it.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think its fair to say we do not really know what Rimmers mind-set is here or what the situation is so we can't really judge his peformance

his peformance here is pretty subtle compared to stuff in series 8 and he has occationally over played Rimmer in the past 1-6 series also

9. hugzinator

hugzinator Third Technician

liked the clip. Cautiously optimistic!

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I was trying to think what part of series eight that little snatch of Rimmer reminded me of most and I've now realised it was the part where Rimmer was Captain of the mirror ship and was talking to Hollister. That exagerated tone and slightly shouty style are the same in that episode. It could be that at this point in the episode Rimmer is basically acting in his "captain of the ship" mode...I hope that's it.

The other thing that slightly bothers me about this joke. It also has the over-egged pudding formula of series eight. We have the setup, we have the tease and then we have the reveal. Unfortunately we then have the joke being overexplained as Rimmer repeats out loud what we've already seen and laughed at via a visual gag. Would a trademark Barrie facial expression not have been subtler?

I know I'm being harsh, it's a clip and I still have faith but it's hard not to worry when you've had your hopes raised and dashed once before.

11. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Not too sure how I feel about that clip. Robert seems to stumble over his line and says "sssship" and then says ship again in the sentence, like he messed it up but it went un-noticed, the second mention of 'ship' seems disjointed. A ship wide search of the ship? Doesn't sound right.

Also, his gloves look very weird like they are just standard gloves with lines painted on, the earlier series gloves looked totally different and much more robotic.

Also, Chris is in full series 8 over-act mode here.

Like others have said, out of context it can appear differently to how it would be during the episode, but I'm not totally liking the clip, although the joke about the only weapons being forks and a sharpener was funny. (Where's the bazookoids?)

Is it me or do all these clips sound weird, like it's kinda obvious they are shooting it on a big open stage? The earlier series that had audiences never sounded like that.

12. Slainmonkey

It kinda seemed like Rimmer's dialog was cut short at the end looking as though it could lead to a double punchline leading on to "What am I supposed to do with these?..." followed by classic Rimmer sarcasm which the show did so often in it's glory years. I just hope and pray we don't get the kinda "sketch comedy" style of series 8. Having said that it could play better in the full scene......I still thing the main gag of the clip was pretty good though.

13. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

First thing I thought when I saw the clip was 'series 8'.

I know it's only a clip, and I myself have said we can't judge anything on one clip. But that seemed like series 8 Rimmer as opposed to old Hologram Ironballs Rimmer.

When Kryten placed the forks and sharpener down the old Rimmer might have said something like, "Well I don't know about you, Kryten, but now we're armed to the teeth I feel confident we can win this one. We'll crawl across the battlefield, dodging multiple rounds of heat seeking bullets and fork them to death. One in each knee should do it. Oh, and just for good measure we can sharpen their pencils for them so they can write their last will and testament before they go..."

Anyway, it's only a clip. Just don't want that 'repeat what the audience can see' series 8 stuff.

14. Presuming Ken

Indeed. Bobbie was searching for the line at first.

And he should have said "I've searched for all the weapons we have on board, sir." As he'd already said 'ship'.

Can't believe i'm going on about a clip now. It's just that this is the first time i've thought it could be like series 8 again...

15. bedfordfalls

I wonder how the series eight style would have been received in a classic Red Dwarf setting though. Maybe not as badly?

16. Presuming Ken

That really is a very good point. I think it wouldn't have come across anywhere near as bad if it was in a classic setting.

Right, pub! :-D

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think anyone who may have read the synopsis may have an idea of what Rimmers part in this is but to say he is being series 8 Rimmer? i don't know, its possible but in meltdown chris put on a pretty over the top Rimmer

18. Slainmonkey

Not to mention it wouldn't have come across as bad if the whole season wasn't loaded with juvenile bullsmeg like T-rex poo and pet robot penises....when I think of the issues of season 8, how low brow it was is top of that heap. If the jokes and plots are funny I could easily forgive some hammy acting here and there.

19. bedfordfalls

Good point. This is one of the things I've talked extensively about disliking about series 8. I didn't mean to imply it would be one of the best series if reduced to a classic setting, just that the slightly pantomime style acting might have been more bearable in a classic setting. I loved Craig Charles more mature acting style in Back to Earth and thought it really made me reconnect with his core character after the dumbed down, borderline caricature he became in series 8. I'm just hoping that Doug didn't take the backlash over that show's perceived un-Dwarfishness and react in the same way he did after series VII by trying too hard to turn Red Dwarf back into a sit-com, something it had evolved beyond by the time that series 2 finished.

20. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I would say that those worried about this seeming rushed / overly hammy.. should reserve full judgement until the broadcast. The problem with these clips is that they've been cut pretty tightly to prevent any overt spoilers, and so the dialogue is coming across rather unnaturally. I get that feeling watching this clip.. I didn't get that feeling on the night with these lines in context..