RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

That is so UNFAIR :-(

We only got the blue alert.

Must've blown the red bulb by the time it got to 'my' recording :P

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

That Kryten clip was quite funny.

He never fails to impress me with what he can do.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Tickets were, in theory, available to the general public, yes. I get that but I'm not convinced that the general public got the chance to get any of them before they were snapped up by voracious fans of the show. From the set reports I've read reports of Red Dwarf quizzes, theme tune singalongs, requests being made for Danny to sing tongue tied and stories from the audience of home made adult movies involving people dressing up as Kochanski!
    This certainly sounds like a hardcore (excuse the pun) audience of Red Dwarf fans to me, but then I wasn't there so I fully accept I may be wrong. I'm simply speculating.

I don't know what the alternatives to produce a more balanced, less fan-service led audience are either but I'm sure that some must exist. Either way, it doesn't stop me thinking that this type of audience can be as detrimental to the performances as it is helpful. I do wonder how the cast wold adjust their performances if they knew they were going out to perform for a neutral crowd who weren't quite as familiar with the show.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I believe series 6 had a fanbase audiance as only fans who were familiar with the show would cheer when Dwayne Dibley appears

Id say if anything the cast are more under pressure, not just because of a fanbase of over 15 years but because they are 10 years older and critics will rip them apart

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

But why SHOULD they? Can you not see how ridiculous it is to suggest that someone be barred entry to an entertainment event because they like the material *too* much?

6. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

"100 free tickets for RDX show 1 Fan Premier at Prince Charles Theatre, Leicester Square, London, Wed, Oct 3rd" - Doug Naylor.

He gives a link to this website:

Show Film First

There'll be a Q&A with the cast afterwards, except for Danny.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

all tickets gone

8. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Suddenly Kryten apparently doing karate (as he was in the first preview trailer) makes a lot more sense. I liked it.

9. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

The Loose Women clip isn't that great, and at least it explains the Kryten arm-flailing thing which I still don't find funny and think it looks really out of place and, surprise surprise, something we would have seen easily in Series 7/8 when Robert really over-acted the character at times. I also find the acting a bit off from all of the cast like they haven't fully got back into the roles. The spoon being dried by Kryten's arse also failed to raise a smile with me. Silly toilet humour to get a cheap laugh that certainly belongs in Series 8.

Yes, I'm probably being overly picky, but sue me! I really love this show and want it to do well and hope that they have returned the show to it's former glory. Nothing I have seen so far has filled me with huge confidence that they have, all I have to go on is statements from people who attended the recordings and they said that it had. I just have yet to see any real proof of it myself with these teasers and trailers but I guess I might do next Thursday at 9pm... :lol:

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This forum is likely the only place in the world that makes me look like an optimist, other then Kryten's folding mime act I actually thought the cast performances seemed pretty good in that clip. The butt dryer while didn't do it for me myself is kinda in the same nature as the groinal attachment even if I didn't (maybe because it's a short clip) as well played out.

11. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Why didn't they just make his drying function a groinal attachment ability then? It would have been believable, based on what we already have established and it would have been funny too as a result. The fact they made it come out of his arse just reeks of going for the cheap laugh using basic, crude humour.

12. Slainmonkey

It seems pretty throw away, I didn't care much for the gag either but honestly it's pretty harmless.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The whole 'groinal attachment' thing has already been done though. Part of the humour from this new gag comes from the fact that, like all good comedy, it's so unexpected.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wasn't sure of that scene in the trailer, but in context, I thought it worked well.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I don't believe that is what I was suggesting...or even that I was making a suggestion. I was simply stating my belief that I think a less partial audience would be an improvement as I don't think the current audience of hardcore fans brings out the best in the performers or is a good acid test of the new material. When shows start to become written for their fanbase and actors start (admittedly) playing up to the fanbase instead of focusing on acting then that's when the show can veer dangerously close to self parody and pantomime.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Curiously, though, while series 8 is much derided by the fanbase, it had the best viewing figures. Which could suggest more of the general public actually swayed things the other way....

And as for the groinal unit being used to dry the spoons, it's obviously meant to be a botty burp gag, right? Toilet humour, sure, but I found it amusing, but I find (some) silly things very funny. All a matter of taste.

I don't want all the humour to be like that, but I strongly get the impression it isn't. If they're going to use clips without spoiling aspects of the plot, its such stuff like this that they'll use. That or parts of sequences, which again leads to criticism from the fan-base who are seeing things out of context.

I agree concerning the comment that I think many people are blowing the Series VIII comparisons out of proportion, even if that's understandable. I think that if some of the episodes in previous series were shown after Series VII and VIII, people would say the same things in them. I watched Confidence and Paranoia the other day, and while Confidence's schtick was very cheesy. It was supposed to be, as he is a very cheesy character - (he isn't a complete person after all) but I bet, if that episode were broadcast in Series X, some folks would be groaning at the Series VIIIness of it....

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

agreed it does seem like some are being abit nitpiky when in the past the early 1-6 shows have done similar at one time or another

18. Slainmonkey

While I feel that it seemed to have more in common with the show's glory years, it seems like there are some faint shades of series VIII but that thankfully doesn't seem to be the prevailing vibe of what we have seen so far. Honestly some of the feeling is natural and honestly to be expected given that it is Doug Naylor's solo work and as such some of the same concept of humor will ofcourse be present. It needn't even really need to be a bad thing either provided it's kept in control which it kinda looks as though it is.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

20. Slainmonkey

That clip is fine, good to hear the mention of Starbug