RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Third Technician

I've enjoyed all the clips except the 'smear' one. I'm really looking forward to it starting, but I need to buy a freeview recorder thingy. I've only got freesat at the moment, was gutted when I realised you don't get Dave on them. Did get freeview through PS3, but alas it's gone boobies up on me, so no blu rays now either :-(

2. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Which is the smear one?

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Use tvcatchup

4. simulant37

The scene with Kochanski? :eek:ops:

5. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I may be wrong as I haven't actually seen the episode but the "Lemons" one, is getting stranded in 23AD a bad thing? Doesn't Lister want to return to Earth and live rather than being stranded on a space ship through space?

6. simulant37

True. Why would he want to go back to living on a spaceship? Why not make a life for himself on Earth? :?

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

But that could be said about "Tikka to Ride" I guess, why not live in 1961 or whatever than on a ship in space? I guess this is Red Dwarf and continuity just goes out of the window when thinking about stuff like this lol

8. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Third Technician

I may be remembering it wrong, thought Rimmer and Lister pointed out a stain a smear and something else to Kryten that had him whirling around all over. I may watch it again, feel silly now.

9. simulant37

& I said it to my mate, when we endured Tikka to Ride. :roll:

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In 23AD?....I can think of more than a few reasons.

11. ben996

ben996 First Technician

But surely it's better than being stuck on a spaceship with 3 guys you hate for the next 40 years, bare in mind Lister probably hasn't had sex in over 20 years,

What about Tikka to Ride, Timeslides, Stasis Leak, I'm sure there is more episodes where they have been on Earth but of course it wouldn't be a TV show if they didn't go back to the ship lol, 8)

12. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Although they can get back to Earth in a different time, it would be uncomfortable for them. Heck, I think they'd get homesick. Red Dwarf is their home, especially with Earth almost certainly gone. And yes, they could get back to Earth when it did exist, but they, mainly Lister, wants HIS Earth, and I think no other would do. He wants his farm on Fiji. And as for splitting up? They wouldn't do that. I think they all would miss each other, to the point whereby I don't think they could do it. Look at when Rimmer left. Lister did miss him.

When it comes down to it, I think they'll get back to Earth, somehow, and spend the rest of their days together on Fiji. It's a soppy Hollywood ending, but it would bring the story full circle, and I'd like that.

13. trollsb

trollsb First Technician

I'm not sure if it's because I am quite new to Red Dwarf and as such haven't re-watched and over-analysed episodes over years and years - but I haven't found any episodes that painful at all. All the clips have seemed pretty good and funny to me, and the thing that has made them less funny is once I start breaking them down and dissecting the particular expressions or parts of the cast's performance after reading other people having a whinge.

Perhaps I am not attentive enough, but I don't think I'd notice any apparent slight short fallings against what I enjoy about the clips.

People keep saying they want it to be more similar to one series or another than someone points out a joke is just like the one from [insert number here] series, like it is a complaint that it is similar, when it could be a call back, or its just there are only so many types of jokes in the world..

I don't get how series X can be similar to earlier series as people seem to want it to be, yet not contain any of the same joke types and setups as seen before.

14. bedfordfalls

Firstly Lister doesn't "hate" his companions. I doubt he hates Kryten or Cat or indeed Rimmer anymore. Putting that aside in Tikka to Ride his going back in time and living in a decade he didn't belong in almost caused a parallel history to occur which potentially jeapordised his own existence and caused any number of paradoxes to occur. This is quite ably demonstrated by the episode itself or indeed by Cat's line about "being copied more times than the picture of that tennis girl scratching her butt". There was no way they could continue running amok in that timeline without potentially altering all of human history.

Timeslides: Firstly they could never leave the confines of the frame. On a larger scale their attempts to alter history to suit their cause simply led to a predestination paradox (Thickie Holden and the tension sheet)...or perhaps they only had so much developing fluid to play around with, a quite plausible idea.

Stasis Leak: Well here we have Lister's romanticism coming into play. He's told pretty clearly by his future self to go back and let things work out naturally and he opts to believe his future self (who may or may not have ended up in jar not long after).

The current Lister is that same romantic soul only filled with even more purpose. He thinks Kochanski is still out there and there is a chance of salvaging his plan in his time but...there's something bigger than this that's explained in his words at the end of Ouroboros. Lister comes to understand that he is a very important person. That it is in fact his destiny to occupy the current timeline so that "the human race can never be extinct". He has taken on the mantle as the ambassador for his race and as the hope for the future of humanity. In essence this has always been the case but its only after Lister discovers the truth about his birth that he realises a kind of purpose.

He has a cat, somewhere out there is a Kochanski he can woo and, presumably, somewhere a farm on Fiji that they can live on and begin the task of repopulating the human race on...that's a pretty big responsibility to just throw away because "he hasn't had sex in 20 years!" (although I would doubt that to be the case since it's strongly implied in BTE that Kochanski and he were a couple somewhere in the 9 year gap).

15. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Well, Lister is used to his life in the 23rd century. Going back to 23 AD would kind of suck, because of diseases, prejudice, general old time stuff. Lister wants to go back to where he's from. He doesn't just want to go on Earth for the sake of Earth, he wants his life back. Also, 3 guys he hates? He's great friends with Cat and Kryten, and has become used to Rimmer, to the point of missing him in "Blue."

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

each to their own opinion don't let other people ruin how you see these clips

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Exactly, particularly since we (myself included) can be a nitpicky lot......though honestly I'm pretty optimistic over what I have seen so far.

18. bedfordfalls

Having now seen it I don't find the spoon drying clip to be particularly bad or "series 8-ish" at all. For one thing he doesn't stick the spoon up his backside or anything as suggested by some. For another the sound is akin to a hair drier so its not really toilet humoury. The "air" in question doesn't even seem to be coming from that region but rather his lower back.
    The fact that he's doing it on his own is also important. It seems almost like the sort of thing he's been doing for years without the others knowledge because it seems perfectly normal to him.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im pretty optimistic about it too

20. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

For UK viewers only, Dave is launching 7-day catch up service on their site:

RDX - Seven Day Catch-Up Service

I'm sure somebody wil find way to view it outside of the UK, though.