RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

THIS!

2. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

This definitely sounds more like rimmer lol.

Will there be more codes and trailers over the course of the countdown?

3. lewis1992

lewis1992 Third Technician

TOTALLY agree with this comment 100%. Some of the clips seem forced, almost like it's a pantomime. However, this clip was VERY funny. Please keep the codes coming! :-)

4. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I really don't want to be negative but I'm getting the same bad feeling about this.

The central gag was funny. I especially liked that Kryten even bothered to place the third "weapon" on the desk, after he had shamed himself with the first two.

But then Rimmer states, verbally, what we've just seen! Come on, there's no need for that!

(Somebody once pointed out that this "explaining the gag" is actually something RD has done from the start, occasionally. Think of Lister explaining his why-dogs-lick-their-testicles remark in Marooned.)

Also, I agree that Barrie is really over-acting. He's been doing it since series 6, mind you. The performance is just too obvious, too one-dimensional.

5. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Yesterday I had a pizza only I knocked it and some of the toppings fell onto the floor.

I thought each bit of chicken and onion etc was a lot worse on their own than they were on the Pizza, and perhaps even the floor process had affected the fine pieces of topping for the worse.

In this terrible analogy, the trailers are toppings that have fallen off the pizza. No one can know the quality of the pizza if you're eating the toppings off the floor.
    (Oh that's deep that, deeper than I expected it to be anyway...)

I watched the clip, I chuckled, that's all that matters to me. (Though why they left the final line in is a mystery, should've cut just before it imo )

Rimmer's looking more and more like his alternate CG-overly-made-up-persona from Blue with every series now :-p

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

The clip did seem a little forced, everyone seems concerened that the final line was not needed by Rimmer but my thoughts are that it is more likely a leading line to a classic Rimmer punchline which has been omitted from the clip.

7. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

This is exactly what I was thinking. It seemed very harshly cut at the end. Obviously to keep it all under wraps.
    I'm really not worried about Chris' Rimmer in this series.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think this is being somewhat overanalysed here. Whether Robert Llewelynn stumbled on his line slightly or it wasn't quite perfectly executed isn't terribly important in a 20 second clip IMO. It made me laugh anyway and if this is any indication of how the rest of the episodes are going to pan out then I'll be a happy bunny.

9. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

I agree!

I think we should just look forward to new RD and not worry too much. I trust from what I've seen already that we will have a very enjoyable series.

I wish I hadn't seen the spoiler Synopsis because when I read about the '2 forks and a pencil sharpener' I was laughing my head off!

If it goes along these lines, I genuinely feel that we could have a 1-6 standard series like everybody is saying. You never know, we may even put it above one the first 6 when it has all be aired!
    Then again, maybe not. We'll see. Very exciting!

I never watch anything religiously on Terrestrial TV anymore. So this will be amazing!! :-)

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Robert fluffed a line in Backwards as well. No one kicked up a fuss then "A masked man with a sawn off ssussshotgun...". He was probably reading that as well!

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Robert often has difficulty with his lines in Red Dwarf. He's admitted this himself on numerous occasions, and I don't see it as a big problem.

I'm just glad to see that his performance in series X appears to be a return to his more restrained acting of series 3 to 6.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Nah. Kryten's voice unit had a minor malfunction. ;-)

Actually, I didn't even notice until one of the lads mentioned it in the commentary! Of course once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Anyway, I liked this new clip. I'll admit, I did feel that Chris Barrie was overacting in this somewhat, but, as others have said, context is everything, and I think there are incidents in the earlier series where Rimmer puts on airs and graces, which could be what he is doing here. I think this may be Rimmer in 'admiral of the universe' mode.

Considering the (rather good) joke, I do wonder where all the bazookoids, laser guns or, for that matter, the other cutlery have gone! But maybe that will be highlighted in the episode. Or Kryten is attempting a new sarcasm mode. As in, "Our current weapons will be as effective as these three items..."

Anyway, as a certain Scouser said in a completely different context: it will be a lot of fun finding out! Mind you, he ended up pregnant a year or so later...

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Ha, of course it is. What did you expect? We were analyzing blurred set imagery concealed behind a television camera just a few weeks ago. :-)

14. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Seems like the majority of people on this post have their shotguns out ready to blow up
    series x as soon as they have seen the first episode lol times have changed they are all
    older, I just think Chris Barrie now plays Rimmer that way now and I don't think he will
    change that. I don't have issues with Kryten's mask infact I get more and more used
    to it everytime I see it it's just poor old Kryten's baggy eyes, poor Bobby must have
    been feeling the long hard hours by episode 6 thats why Bobby had to keep taking days off
    during the series with the eye's because if you notice in earlier clips the eyes don't seem as bad so maybe
    by the end he was worn out but it didn't effect his performance, I just think he uses even
    more hand mannerisms and stuff even more now than in the past lol as for Chris yeah more
    forced now but I think thats how he deals with Rimmer these days, it won't affect the series
    for me we can all nitpick but I think the little gags are very good, I'm looking forward to it
    unfortunately some people will hate it comparing it with the really old series and series VIII
    but some of us fans will love it also. If they try and bring it more toward series III to VI
    that will do me but to bring it back to how it was in them days with the acting the performance
    may be difficult. But if they base it towards series III to VI I will be happy but then Im
    delighted to get new Red Dwarf anyway because at one time we thought it would never happen again!

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Having seen that clip a few times now I kinda think Barrie's performance isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. It seems like Rimmer is trying to fake a sense of being large and in charge, but he still seems to be talking uncharacteristically fast and kinda looks odd that his staring at nothing......maybe could have used another take but I can think of other similar things in episodes shot infront of a live studio audience that have been a bit like that. I imagine it would have been not as noticeable in the full scene then it is in a 30 second clip which is subject to being picked apart skeptics......however we will have to wait an see.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the scene is probably being taken out of context

its possible this is Rimmer taking charge of the situation pretending to know what he is doing

17. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I had a good chuckle watching the clip. I've purposely only watched it once, so as not to worry too much about the details, for a change ;-)

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It does seem like Rimmer is about to say somthing else, hopefully a funny punchline. Hopefully. :x

19. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

At last! A clip from 'my' episode. Loved this bit; it's just so silly.

Rimmer's delivery seemed good on the night. Others have speculated above as to why, but I cannot say!

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant