RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I've seen a couple of negative comments about this clip. And whilst I tried to see it from their point of view, I just couldn't agree. The closest we've seen to classic Red Dwarf from these new clips. Loved it!

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

sadly i wouldn't say jeremy clarkson is a iconic figure for Rimmer to impersonate

maybe it would have been better without the impression

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

While I agree it as an amusing clip and it's not the first time Red Dwarf has made a reference that will date it

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Judging from previous series, it seems many 20th century figures are iconic to the Dwarfers.

Besides, while Chris Barrie is impersonating Jeremy Clarkson, I'm not convinced Rimmer is.

To explain what I mean, from Rimmer's point of view it might just be a voice he puts on that he finds amusing. Or it could be a public figure from his (21st/22nd/23rd ? ;-) ) century he finds amusing. Chris Barrie just choses Clarkson's voice to fit that at role.

The fact he hasn't done it before doesn't really make it a contradiction as there has been 9 years and people can often change their references and habits a bit in that time. Besides it's not all that far different from Rimmer's cheering and Lister-ribbing routines in earlier series. (I forget the specific episode, but I think he might have done something similar in Future Echoes.) He wasn't doing Jeremy Clarkson then, but it was done in a similar mock football chant style.

I'll admit, it did strike me as a bit over the top in this episode, but again, 9 years. Maybe he's gone a bit... peculiar over that time period. I like it that his earlier exchange with Lister before noticing the letter is toned down like Arnie of old. It shows that the previous clip with Kryten was just his self important act.

Anyway, I liked it. It didn't make me laugh out loud, but a lot of Dwarf jokes don't. That doesn't mean I don't thoroughly enjoy them.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

but jeremy clarkson? really? ;-)

i know there has been a few oddballs in the past that are of the time

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Whoops. That's what I get for posting then editing. A bit more explanation of what I mean in there.

Chris Barrie clearly finds Jeremy Clarkson amusing.

7. Slainmonkey

I like the clip seeing it a second time, even though gags revolving the mail have appeared in both Better then Life and Krytie TV, however watching the clip it kinda struck me that I like the feel of it. Clarkson impersonation aside it legitimately does have a rather Red Dwarf feeling that been dearly missed.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Getting a bit fixated on the Jeremy Clarkson thing here. We don't even know it's supposed to be a Clarkson impersonation, it could just be a funny voice.

I agree that having them sitting among a pile of physical mail like that seems a bit anachronistic, maybe there's an explanation for that in the rest of the episode. Or maybe not. Either way doesn't really bother me that much to be honest.

As for the clip, still pretty good but not brilliant in my opinion. A bit of a nod to older series is fine but I'm hoping there isn't going to be too much essentially recycled from Red Dwarfs past.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think I may have been wrong about the reminiscent scene in Future Echoes. Seb posted a clip to a scene with Rimmer playing draughts with a skutter on G&T. (I can't remember which episode it was in.) It think that was what I had in the back of my mind, but he does do other OT stuff (not the same, but beyond his normal style of talking) in other episodes, Future Echoes including.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISq4os4BVc

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Possibly, although I think there's something to be said for sending physical things over long distance rather than relying on signals.

More importantly, it does fit with Better than Life where they also receive mail.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is the first time I've felt pessimistic about Red Dwarf X. I found the clip very unDwarfy and unfunny, and Rimmer's reaction is too out of character. If Lister had reacted in that manner then fair enough. Plus, it was much too obvious that the letter was going to turn out to be something negative.

On the plus side, before his over-the-top moment Barrie seemed to be speaking Rimmer's lines well and in the style of old, and it was nice to see a scene similar to the one in Better Than Life.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

think maybe anyone will miss this?

[​IMG]

13. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

It's amazing they got that there! Where is it?

Only problem with it is that there's no way for them to prove precisely how famously fresh their baguettes are.

14. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I believe it's Waterloo station.

15. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I always found Red Dwarf's anachronisms very amusing. The video tape speech in BtE was the crowning moment of that.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think the joke is good but would be funnier without the over the top impression, altho the more i watch the less it matters really

i suspect dougs a fan of improv but i hope he doesnt let the cast do it to much :?

17. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I don't think it is supposed to be an impression. Admittedly, there is a bit of the David Coleman/Clarkson about it. But I think that is just where Rimmer's character is nowadays. Character development that's taken place over the last 10 years with Lister and co. I can live with that.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it would be ok if he wasnt doing a driving motion while doing the voice ;-)

19. Slainmonkey

That......and on many occasions Clarkson has called himself "The man, the myth, the legend"

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I may be wrong about this, but I can't help but wonder whether some fans are subconsciously reacting more to Chris' physical appearance, as opposed to the acting itself.

Jeremy Clarkson never crossed my mind at all (although I can kind of see a resemblance now it's been pointed out). I very much doubt it's a meant to be an impression though. It seems perfectly in keeping with Rimmer's (often eclectic) character to me - along with some inevitable character development...*shrugs*

Oh and I liked the throw back mail pod gag too. However, I'm surprised that more people aren't moaning about Doug "rehashing ideas from past series". I expected a far worse response to be honest. :P

I'm loving the additional part of the original trailer too :-)

Edit: Oh and the little Lister teaser was fun too - the one with him sat on the red sofa, I mean.