RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Way I see it is that is the mail leads to a completely new plot then what does it matter if that small element is rehashed. Having said that I'll have to see the episode before I can pass any real judgement.

Also if anyone can upload that added bit from the trailer onto Youtube.....us non UK folks can't see it then I would very much appreciated and you would yourself then be the Man (or Woman), the Myth and also the Legend.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

from what i can remember in the set reports i read he apparently does rehash a few ideas this series :shock: but what can you do except hope its done well and not look like he just scraping the barrel of ideas :?

3. Slainmonkey

If memory serves me it was the set report for Fathers and Suns that said that one plot element was similar to something we had already seen before but the other 2 plot thread were completely unique. And I assume this clip was what they were talking about and I believe this actually is from Fathers and Suns (don't hold me to that).

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Indeed. Although I don't personally perceive it as outright "rehashing", but rather a reoccurring/ongoing gag...albeit a rather late one ;-)

I wonder how it would've gone down had it appeared later in series 2, or during a trailer for series 3-5?

Edit: *throws a spanner into the works*

There will be some who complain about "rehashing" certain elements of the multi-plot when episode 2 is aired too.

Are you all scared now?...Mwahahahahaaa :twisted:

Extra Edit: Seriously though, it's really not that bad at all. Not really a rehash, not even close to being as similar to an older gag as the mail pod gag in this recent trailer was.

5. Slainmonkey

Well there was also a gag revolving around the arrival of mail in series 8 in the episode Krytie TV. Rimmer winning a holiday and lottery which he can't redeem.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the show had evolved so much during 3,4 and 5 that it does seem abit weird going back to a series 2 moment 20 years/6 series later

the show changed, the cast got older, the characters changed

altho if they had done it for series 4 or 5 it probably wouldnt have so much weight on it

7. Freeborn

Yeah, I see your point. Although I personally love the fact that 'poor old' Rimmer still never gets any mail of any merit.

8. Slainmonkey

What I like about the video though is that it seems like over the years the mail has became something of a game between them (likely something that keeps them occupied through their lonely travels through space) much in the way the locker game was portrayed in the episode Blue.

9. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

whats the new code dudes?

10. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

whats the new code dudes?

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

ASTRONAVS

12. Slainmonkey

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well i know alot of fans ain't to fond of the rehashed ideas so i'm hoping doug has heard these criticisms and has created some fresh ideas

in the BTE commentary he almost sounded surprised by the lack of faith alot of the fans had in him

but am happy to say most these storys sound new and fresh :-)

14. Freeborn

Yeah, I'm liking that aspect of it :-)

15. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Cheers, just watched it great Rimmer and Lister moment, Yes Rimmer acting a lot like he did in series 1 and 2. :-D

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Why on Earth do people think Rimmer's doing a Clarkson impression? Of course he's not. He's doing a football commentator voice, because he's commentating on Rimmer's victory in the post race. Jeremy Clarkson is not a sports commentator. It's a generic commentary-type voice of a sort Chris Barrie's being doing in his act since the '80s.

It's not Clarkson. It doesn't sound like Clarkson. It's not meant to be Clarkson. Can we nip that one in the bud, please?

17. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I didn't get 'Clarkson' from that clip at all. For me, it's just Rimmer being Rimmer.

I also think his reaction is somewhat tame because perhaps he's expecting bad mail. As far as I recall, all the mail he's ever got is bad or made him feel bad. Inland revenue, holidays he couldn't claim, his father dying, etcetera...

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i admit the more i watch it the less im hearing any sorta impression now :shock:

19. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

Can someone upload / put a link to the Dave idents that were on today plz? Also the new 'extra' bit added onto the original trailer - Lister being locked out or something? :-)

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

After a re-watching of the new trailer, Rimmer does seem less over-the-top than I first thought. It's perhaps an understandable reaction from him, delighting in annoying Lister as much as possible.