RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yeah dont know were they got clarkson from lol.:eek:

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I can only imagine that one person managed to somehow find some tiny, vague resemblance (a facial expression or something, or being roughly around the same age?...*shrugs*) and the rest is down to 'good old' power of suggestion, perhaps?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Maybe from the fact that this is who he's clearly impersonating. I'm really on a downer for the new series after seeing this clip.

5. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

Quoted for truth.

Genuinely confused as to how people are a) thinking otherwise and b) so sure it's a Clarkson impression they're close to writing off the rest of the series...

6. bedfordfalls

I think that's a little unfair. Whether you think he's impersonating Clarkson or not (and I do think that's who he's channeling in this scene) this one scene isn't what's causing me to doubt the rest of the series is going to be as great as the audience members who watched it have all been claiming it will be.

It's a combination of things. Firstly I don't think this is a very funny scene. We've already seen it in Red Dwarf for one thing (arguably we've seen it twice already). I'm not one of the people who slaughtered Doug for reusing concepts for BTE but I do give him criticism for redoing jokes (Batman/Spiderman suit references anyone?).

I'm suspicious of what live audiences have to say about the show because of something else I disagreed with: these audiences being filled with little but hardcore Red Dwarf fans who...and this isn't meant to be personally insulting to anyone, have a tendency to be in hysterics at just about anything the cast do while in front of them. Sure they can be hyper critical after they view the finished product but there is no getting around the fact that Red Dwarf 8 was really well received live by people who later loathed the show after it was screened. I understand why, but it's a reason I've come to be wary of gauging a shows quality by audience reaction and the audience reaction to clips like this seems way over the top for a not very funny scene (in my opinion).

At the same time I don't want to gauge the show's quality by a handful of clips but what I'm seeing is filling me with less and less optimism for how the show is going to turn out. From the trailer to this most recent clip I've opened every video with hope and optimism but I haven't found a single one has made me laugh out loud and in most of them I've felt vaguely disappointed and at times cringed a little at the OTT acting on display and rather laboured humour. I haven't seen one clip that's contained an absolute humdinger of a line, the like of which Dwarf used to be packed with.

As a result I can only assume Dave are holding back or these are really some of the best non-spoilery bits they can show us...which isn't promising to me. As a result I'm currently expecting acting akin to series 8, jokes akin to series VII and VIII, potentially redeemed by the sort of clever science fiction stories we used to see in the old days.

But then I remember that series VIII also had the potential for clever sci-fi stories and I remember the rushed, ham-fisted, illogical job it made of that potential.

Please don't be crap, Red Dwarf X. I really hope you're just luring me into a false sense of security and I can post here when the series is over calling myself a miserable, pessimistic git! ;-)

7. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I suppose it is a bit unfair, sorry! Will be more careful with my whiskey-fuelled posting in future, as I do see where you're coming from in the rest of that well reasoned response..

I think it must be pretty tough to find exactly 30 seconds from each episode that contain a standalone joke with no real spoilers attached.

So far, none have made me howl with laughter, but they've all served their purpose as 'teasers'..

Clip 1 - There's going to be new sci-fi ideas explored
    Clip 2 - There's a fight to be had, and they're smegged, but there'll be some great visual gags along the way
    Clip 3 - Despite all this new shiny stuff, there will still be nods to the past. Here's an echo of Series I and II, a place Dwarf has rarely ventured to for quite some time.

From this, I get the impression that Red Dwarf X is a celebration of all that's come before it. This can only be a good thing. Either, that's the perfect way to kickstart many series to come, or this'll be The End and one last hurrah! :-)

8. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I like the new post pod clip. I think it's funny. I don't mind that Doug has rehashed the post pod gag, it helps to establish how boring and repetitive life onboard ship can be. All their adventures aside, life onboard ship must be incredibly boring and small events such as the post pod arriving would be so exciting for them.

Rimmer's reaction is not unlike anything we've seen him do before, and yes he's older but is he really more mature? I don't think so!

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i wasnt that impressed with Rimmers reaction when i first see it as i felt it was abit over the top but the more i watch it the less it matters

the 3 clips were about 30/40 seconds long and consist of 1 gag in each clip and i think they are pretty non-spoilery scenes

im optimistic there is better stuff to come

10. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

The clip Dave have uploaded which features Lister floating past a window at the end is cringe-worthily bad. Kryten just stands there and waves gormlessly when in any other series there would be panic and action from him. It comes across as a series VIII joke here, and is very disappointing to see. I thought that sort of rubbish was left behind.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

are you kidding? i thought it was one of the more subtle gags that we havent seen since before series 8

if that scene was in series 8 you could bet kryten would be acting over the top

i can only imagine lister has been out of the ship in a spacesuit before so krytens reaction is no different to someone who may leave there house to take a walk and forget their key

[​IMG]

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would love to see that scene myself and form my own opinion, so if anyone could upload it on youtube that would be just fantastic.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i'm surprised no one has tbh

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'm disappointed that no one has......and I've been checking too.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That was a wonderful moment. As I've said before, it's a gag that just feels so right for Red Dwarf as if it's from the classic era. It restored a lot of confidence in me for series X, much of which I'd lost after seeing the mail scene.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

if you look at the mail scene in a different light it ain't actually that bad

Rimmer bragging to annoy lister like its a sport event

17. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I must say that i've just logged in to say how disappointed I am with the new clip (I watched it once yesterday).

But, just to be fair, I gave it another looking at. And another. And I have to say, it made me laugh. And it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I though on first viewing (this is only a 30 second clip, ha). Actually it's pretty damn good.

And Rimmer sounds NOTHING like Jezza. When I first saw it yesterday I thought more David Coleman, and it's still true.

Good clip. A week on Thurs and we're off :lol::lol::lol:

18. bedfordfalls

The idea that it is hard to find a 30 second clip that is non-spoilery and contains a humdinger of a gag seems oddly at odds with the show's past as one of the most quotable comedy shows there is.

I'm pretty sure you could fit the "Red Alert bulb" exchange into 30 seconds without giving away the threat or plot. Lister eating dog food and his following wisecrack would work and still have people bemused as to why he was doing it. Rimmer opening communication channels to the Welsh, Holly's dogs milk gag. These are all simple, brilliant jokes that come to mind that, while they might play out within the context of a longer three minute scene could easily fit into 30 seconds and would leave me laughing even today.

That I haven't seen anything like this so far is disappointing to me. It's all been a bit Doug Naylor comedy by numbers to me. The best exchange I saw so far was the very first one between Kryten and Lister and even that one felt like it had written itself.

On the other hand it could just be that we are in for a gentler style of humour than the gag overload of series 8, which isn't a bad thing, but which doesn't seem to match up to set reports either.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

to be fair i doubt the writers or cast knew what gags in the past series would become classic and well remembered

and i doubt the 2 forks and a pencil sharpener was meant to be a gag that will be spoken about for years, so DAVE gave us something pretty small there or even just a plot device

20. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Okay, I find the script a little lacking. In the 'weapons' clip, Kryten says 'ship' twice and in this new scene Rimmer says 'two' twice and it doesn't sound good. But the ending to his line, "Like two school boys who have to bet on everything" is so clunky. Why not, "Like a couple of school boys who turn everything into a wager"?

It just doesn't seem too polished. It's funny, but rough around the edges...