RED DWARF CODES for Dave website - exclusive stuff

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Sep 8, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

see id say that was robert llewellyn about to slip up his line then managing to recover, not so much the actual gag itself thats bad

hopefully doug doesnt turn into another george lucas in the directing department

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

To be fair, I think you are indeed right. It does seem like a Bobbie slip. And Doug seems far too nice to pull him up over that. Like the Shawn of Shhotgun scene :-D

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The impression I got from these clips is that they are something small to tide us over while we wait while not wanting to spoil the best stuff.....particularly how anti-spoiler the whole thing has been. I think we should save our moaning till we see the episodes because honestly I haven't had any major issues with these clips outside of minor nitpicks which likely would be less glaring within the flow of the episode. The set reports and most of the reviews of the first episode said that jokes come thick and fast so let's not jump the gun and just hope that it's true.

4. Presuming Ken

On internet forums dedicated to a subject *everything* related to that subject is gonna be dissected and argued over, for good and bad. It's just the way things are.

People here love Red Dwarf and just want it to be amazing. Some will voice their concerns at clips, others will hold their judgement until the series airs.

The thing is though, that the same will happened when the episodes air. Some will like it, others wont. TV is now judged like never before. And with what, 5 million people to satisfy, Doug Naylor can't knock down a coconut every time.

At least all this banter means we all care for Red Dwarf. We all love it and want it to succeed.

Fingers crossed, eh :-D

5. Slainmonkey

I agree, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that sometimes it;s best to not jump the gun, because it sounds like people are already losing interest by doing that that.

6. Presuming Ken

Quite agree. RDX has to be judged by it's whole rather than its parts. And anyone who would be put off be the trailers so much they wouldn't want to watch is an idiot (although I don't think anyone does think like that at the mo).

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

8. Slainmonkey

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

As I've said elsewhere, there isn't anything that could make me lose interest in Red Dwarf. I'm too heavily invested in the stories and the characters to ever abandon it.

I think there are two camps with Red Dwarf: Those who view it as a sit-com with the primary function of being hilarious and who couldn't care less about the show's emotional core (These tend to be the sort of people who really hated Back to Earth). Then there are those who don't view it as being constrained to the sitcom format and care about character progression, storytelling as much as they do the laughs.

I think I fall into the second camp which may make it seem strange that I'm complaining that the jokes in the trailer aren't funny enough. My worry about that is more that I saw Doug try to cram series 8 so full of jokes that it became a pantomime and then try and force sitcom humour into Back to Earth where it didn't belong with awkward results. I want Doug Naylor to write to his strengths and I don't think that will ever mean replicating series I-VI. As good as they were, they were the product of a gestalt mind.

When I see what I percieve as weak humour in the trailers it makes me worry that he's reacted to the criticism of BTE in much the same way he reacted to criticism of series VII: by ramming the followup series full of jokes that screamed quantity over quality. Funny is funny because it's funny. It has nothing to do with volume....or shouting.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i agree that this stuff does make me have doubts about dougs writing ability for the show but i try and keep this review in mind

11. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Brand new clip just appeared on Dave.

Set on Starbug, it has Lister and Rimmer sitting up front side by side.

Lister: "You know nothing about nothing. Remember that documentary we watched about breasts? You thought 'aerola's was a Spanish goalkeeper".

Rimmer: "Well, what was he? Italian?"

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

this calls for DAVE +1

13. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Not got access to Dave Ja Vu at the moment. Will watch Dave in half an hour for the rest of the night. Might as well as it is QI XL.

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Oh dear. . .:-(

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

lets be open minded here

16. omnomnominous

omnomnominous Third Technician

I hope someone records this - I don't have access to the TV at the moment. Might have a look later in case it comes on again though.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Dave Ja Vu unfortunately. Hopefully, it'll turn up on Youtube before long.

18. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I'm in the process of getting it uploaded onto YouTube...

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've been thinking about that lately.

I agree that Doug Naylor should write to his strengths. And for me, Red Dwarf is as much about the stories, and sci-fi adventures as the comedy. In fact, if the story were very good and the jokes were slight, I wouldn't mind too much. Although I'd like both.

Thing is, are series VII and VIII that different* from previous series because Doug Naylor is incapable of the style of shows that 1-6 portray? Also bear in mind that VII and VIII are probably as different from each other as they are from the previous series despite both being despised by many fans. Or is it because he purposefully decided to try something different? I get the impression that he likes to experiment.

I particularly liked his Red Dwarf novel Last Human. To be fair, it's partly based on episodes co-written with Rob Grant and the tone of the novels is a bit different again from the TV show, but the new stuff still works pretty well.

Those who have sat in the audience have stated that they feel Series X has lot in common with series III-VI. Of course this could be largely the buzz of being in an audience affecting their emotions, but the reviews from the G&T crowd have largely been good. And while they are hard-core fans they largely seem to dislike the later series (although they largely love BtE) so they're not self deluding hard-core fans.

One thing more thing- I'm really looking forward to this series. It's one of the major highlights of my year. (One other has been and gone, the film Dredd, and the third is set for the end of the year - The Hobbit.) I'm confident that I will probably like it. Then again I liked series VII and (most of) VIII and BtE* too. And Prometheus for that matter, so I might not be a good gage of quality.

*Some excruciating draggy bits aside. And too much Blade Runner. Impressive recreation of the sets though.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I've seen people on GnT refer to the process of being "burned" by having really enjoyed watching series 8 being filmed and then hating the televised product...so yes, I'd say they are more than capable of getting caught up in the moment.

I went to watch the Hitchikers radio show Live tour recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. When I bought the audio download I thought it made a pretty average audio experience. Being there always adds to the enjoyment.