RED DWARF computer game?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SFRimmer12, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

Hey, guys!

This idea has been with me for years now and - now that RED DWARF is back on our screens - I was wondering how you'd take to the idea of RED DWARF: THE GAME - for the PS2, PS3, PC, X-BOX 360 etc.

Imagine the possibility of walking through the many corridors of the mining ship Red Dwarf or taking a little trip inside Starbug. Occasionally, you enter a place where you have to defeat an escsped Polymorph or angry Simulant. Interact with items, be given the choice of what to say (mulitple choice questions, answers and quotes) and have your own arsenal.

Choose your character AND decide what costume they wear:

Lister: the series one pre-accident uniform. series two costumes. series three, four and five outfits. series six and seven attire. and return to Red Dwarf series 8 uniform.

Rimmer: series one and two uniform (plus the admiral costume), 'Captain Emerald' series three costume, series four and five outfit, the softlight/ hardlight series six/ seven costume and return to Red Dwarf series 8 uniform (with the choice of being human or hologram).

The Cat: I think you're getting the idea of what choices of costumes The Cat could wear, 'else I'd be here all day.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Ideas, questions and opinions well recieved.

2. Biffout

Biffout Skutter

That would be a match made in heaven. (Drools at prospect......)

3. connell

connell First Technician

I did make a video about a Red Dwarf game once, a basis on which there are 52 levels and you have to do something themed with the episode. I did a preview of what demons and angels would be like, i was rather pleased with it, you had to go on board the bad ship and find one part and all the stuff from the ep happend there and go to the divine dwarf and do all that stuff, ive long since deleted it though :-(

4. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

That would have been good, damn I wish I had programing skills or else I'd give it a go

5. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I agree i think it would be awesome to have a Red Dwarf game, Check my sig Ive had that for a few weeks now. :-D Also frawdder posted about a Red Dwarf RPG In Garbage pod a few days ago. I posted my ideas for a game in there to. Well lets see if a lot of people like this idea maybe it will be food for thought for the production crew.

6. sdrawnaM

sdrawnaM Third Technician

Since I got into Red Dwarf and gaming at about the same time, I've always thought they'd be a perfect match. You've got unlimited scope for gameplay there. Four unique characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. You could have Kryten using his groinal attachments in unique ways. All kinds of interesting locations to visit and monsters to fight. You could fly Starbug. I'm positive the cast would provide voices for it, as it's a lot easier than getting into the costumes and assembling on set for several weeks. The sad thing is, if a game ever were to happen, it would most likely be a wasted opportunity, with a low budget and low ambitions, like most tie-in games. In theory, though, it could be spectacular.

7. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Well if this game were toe bear fruit I would be quite happy to be a beta tester and get the game going in the right direction. :-D

8. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I like the Idea of a Red Dwarf computer game, would be quite interesting due to the infinate number of possible adventure's the player could participate in set on various Planets or even Dimensions...:-D
    The potential for expanding the Red Dwarf universe through game's could be huge if done to a decent standard.:-D

9. JakeGould

JakeGould Third Technician

It sounds amazing but its been wished so many times before and they are never as good as you invision. LOST game sucked, The Simpsons Hit and Run sucked and countless others.

And the places wouldn't be perfect and the sets are gone so they'd only have plans and the footage to recreate it and the voice actors would have to be the cast or it'd suck.

But if they pulled it off it would be epic.

10. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

i have to agree with Teh BURN, games based on TV shows suck ... however a game based on Hologram Simon idea (which screems fallout 3 to me, but on Red Dwarf) would be awesome. I think they would need to be 1 continuous story line, i.e. rescuing kryten from a small moon or something, and the rest is all side missions, which effects how the game plays out and the end result.

For those of you that have played Fallout 3 you'll understand completly what I am on about!

11. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Lol Fallout 3 is my favourite game on the ps3 atm. I thought of that idea too. We must be onto something8)
    heres the other thread Here

12. currymonster

fallout 3 is amazing!! i got a PS3 tho so cant get the downloads :-(

anyway ur always 1 step ahead of me Mario, damn you!!

13. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

edited my post curry after u post yours lol. Yeah that was an annoying blow when I heard there would be no dlc for ps3 users:-(

14. currymonster

especially as they sound amazing, oh well!

would be great if the did an RD version of the fallout, perfect setting, an entire ship to wander instead of a wasteland! plenty of areas to stage levels, cargo bays, engine rooms, hangers, brigs! plus the additionable aspect of being able to leave the ship and go planet side ... could build in learning to fly a Starbug like the different skill levels in fallout!

Plenty of different aliens over the years to incorporate into the game, plenty of different stories to build the game on ... as someone above suggest, 52 levels based on each episode! not sure they could work exactly but could easily build every RD aspect into the game!

Think we could convince Bethesda to make it??

15. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

we could certainley try it would be fantastic but we gotto convince GNP too. one other suggestion to Bethseda as well. Less Bugs :evil:

16. currymonster

or at least less Rad Scorpians, those things creep me out, big time!

17. theonion770

theonion770 Third Technician

I love making short flash games, and have made some Red Dwarf ones already. If you havent seen the new Carbug game (http://www.bluedwarf.co.uk/games/back-to-earth-carbug-game) and the old Squid Hunter game (http://www.bluedwarf.co.uk/games/red-dwarf-squid-hunter), check them out!

I would love to start on a new one, if you have some good ideas just post them here. I'd prefer if it's nothing that would take an eternity to program! I started doing a Red Dwarf point-and-click adventure, like Monkey Island, and got reasonably far with it, but I gave up after a while because it was very very complicated, and also the story idea I'd worked on with my brother wasn't brilliant. It was going to be set after the Humans on the red Dwarf died, and the Cats had half-evolved, leading up to the time when the Cats fled the ship.

18. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

I have a lot of ideas that could be neverending with possibilities but i think by the time you had finished programming it we would be 3 million years into deep space and the human race would no longer exist. I'm sure i can come up with something though. I'll get my thinking cap on:-)

19. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

That is good but I would like a game you could play on a games console, I never really play flash games.

20. connell

connell First Technician

Eeep! All this talk and now I can see myself putting the disc into the Playstation 3 right now! But sadly, even if there was another series I doubt they'd make any Red Dwarf themed game, and we don't want a re-do of the monstrosity that was Doctor Who Top Trumps On the Nintendo DS. I shudder at the thought of Red Dwarf being brought to that. But a game such as a Red Dwarf where you travel to different parts of the ship and there are 52 levels, and you have to go to parts of the ship and click on the objects that resemble the stories to start the levels (e.g Better than Life could have triangular Vids and Justice could have those big metal shoes). and for series 6/7 you can go on board starbug and go through the decks and the vastness of it all to do the levels (e.g Gunmen of the Apocolypse would have a clickable western hat on the mid-section table ect...) and on Red Dwarf every room that had ever been in the series/books was there, including the metanical gardens, the malls, the shuttle stations, the tank, the original bunks and grey area, the officers block with re-designed rooms, the science lab, the cargo bays, everything! Also theyre could be hidden rooms with like 50 secret items to find throughout the game (e.g go into the cargo bay and find a vent that leads down through some cobwebbed rooms to where the Priest cat was in Series 1's Waiting for god and the treasure in there is a sacred hotdog or one of the diner hats) and you unlock a small clip from the episode the treasure is from (So that could be the one of Lister coming in being cloyster). So each hidden room on the dwarf you find you get a treasure (another treasure idea is not all treausre are in hidden rooms, for example looking in cupboards could find you things e.g, the mopheads they used to pretend to be the Dibleys in Series 8's Back in the Red, with the clip being them pretending to be them to the guard, or the sexual magnetism and luck viruses in the Captains desk also from series 8's Back in the Red, and you would unlock the clip of the captain going "Damnit Rimmer! I wanted those!" and you get a bit of descriptive text with each one, and another treasure, if you find the dream recorder its a treausre and the clip you unlock is Tounge Tied.

Thats Me Dwarf-Gamed out for now :-D Hope you all like the ideas.