RED DWARF computer game?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SFRimmer12, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Demon_Scutter

Demon_Scutter Third Technician

Ok, this is going to look awful but, what the hell, I spent 3 hours drawing it, scanning it and editing it so I'm going to post it and hopefully get some feedback. Using paint and a DVD menu shot, I did a mock up of what a Red Dwarf MMORPG might look like in first person. Sorry for the graphical quality, but I only have paint.

[​IMG]

I have always wanted to design a Red Dwarf game. A proper one, and I made some notes on Gameplay:

Brief:
    Set on Red Dwarf before the radiation leak wiped the crew, you play as a crew member aboard Red Dwarf, along with a crew comprised of players from around the world. Raise your Skills, Explore Deep Space and Rise through the ranks aboard Red Dwarf.

Beginning the game:

You begin the game choosing you Character name, looks, race, sex, occupation, age ect. .You enter the game as someone awaking from Stasis, you are taken straight to the debriefing room, After that you will begin some career related errands or missions. From these missions you will earn basic career related tools, XP and some credits (In game currency.). Then, it’s down to you.

Career’s:

Scientist
    Medical
    Repair & Engineering
    Security & Ship Defence
    Navigation & Pilots
    Mining

Transport:
    Transport is a Vital part of the game. Red Dwarf itself is the size of a city, so you can’t walk everywhere. Some Transport like Xpress Lifts are free, some can just be purchased (e.g. Lister’s Moped.). But for leaving the ship out into Deep Space, a License is required. Navigation & Pilots can obtain a license at a lower lever (as one of their career perks.). Once players gain their liscence, they may pilot and customize their blue midget/Starbug. Other forms of transport such as the Matter Paddle or Timeslides only allow for travel to set locations, and are usually mission related.

The Justice Zone:
    While Red Dwarf itself and the close area around it are protected by a Justice field, once you leave that area, it’s all PvP. Anyone can attack you, however, to avoid overpowered characters destroying everything in sight, players have a level limit to what they can attack.

Instances:
    There are places in-game where you and your posse get your own created version of that ship or planet. The reason for this being that so these area don’t get clogged with people killing everything and taking all the treasure. This also adds atmosphere in places where things should be slightly more claustrophobic.

GiMos (Git Moves.:-(
    GiMos are special instance-related items exclusive to Red Dwarf. There are certain places in-game where things just get a little too difficult for you, and you are willing to take the easy way out at the expense of putting your teammates in a harder situation. These are known as Git Moves or GiMos. They are quite expensive, but cheaper for people with Rimmeresque personalities. Here are some examples:

Your Posse and you are about to enter a heated battle with a crazed gang of Simulants. However you spot an escape pod, and for the price of a GiMo, you fly a safe distance away from the ship, and return when the battle is over. You gain an equal amount of XP to your posse, but you didn’t have to fight at all.

After coming back from a research mission, you feel your posse didn’t treat you with enough respect, and you feel you should get first pick of the items. Sacrificing a GiMo, you can send your posse to Quaranitine, allowing you to get first pick of the items.

2. Demon_Scutter

Yeah, but would you walk directly into a busy motorway? :-)

Also, I can't make the game because I am a game designer, and not a game programmer. A Game like that would require a huge team of experienced programmers and artists, a big budget and a helluva lot of time.

3. Demon_Scutter

If a Red Dwarf MMORPG was ever made, I would want it to be as good as it could be, with all the money, time and effort dedicated to it that can be. an I would deffinately want to help design it. I really would like some feedback on the HUD layout and the GiMo's, as those were my 2 main creative ideas.

4. Omni

Omni Skutter

There was a red dwarf computer game made ages ago, it was a ms-dos game, it was a bit crap, spanning from listers time on titan to this weird alternative ending where lister puts kris' ashes on the Backwards earth to resurect her, its on my computer somewhere...
    but a full 8 series game would be immense, it would have to be some kind of stratagy game (not fps or anything like that), I could probably do it if I could program.

Found It!!
    http://www.wurb.com/if/game/2776

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It wouldn't need to be a full eight series. It can go off in it's own direction.

Nice ideas by the way. I'd drop the part about amnesia though as the main stasis booths don't work that way. (That's the Starbug booths.) Also, as far as purchasing Starbug is concerned, purchase from whom? I see wht you're going for in terms of working towards something, but it should work with the story. I.e. working towards getting a pilots licence makes sense. Having to purchase a craft on a ship 3 million years into deep space (something you have access to anyway.) doesn't.

6. Demon_Scutter

I see what you mean, I shall edit these both at once.

7. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Wow! I'm in that screen shot :-D That donse't look to bad and I suppose a red dwarf game is a red dwarf game (atleast I'd settle for anything that involves red dwarf and a game)

8. Demon_Scutter

Just so you know, that screen shot took me ages to do. I started with this:

[​IMG]

9. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Well you did a good job :-) I wouldn't mind playing a red dwarf game like that

10. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Good work with the screenshot. A Red Dwarf game for the consoles, I'd buy that! I've never gone into the realm of online gaming though, I've got too much real stuff to worry about!

11. Demon_Scutter

Really we should get a team of people coming up with ideas. I would but I have no bloody idea where to start when it comes to designing a game.

12. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

You know what would be perfect for RD? A monkey Island style adventure. No one does them any more (well only on the downloadable gamesfor the consoles and wiiware) Platformers and FPS style games would just feel wrong for dwarf.

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ironically, it's exactly this concept - a Monkey Island-style Dwarf game - that I pitched to Rob and Doug at a convention in 1993, back when I was a teenage upstart and fan. Seven years later, Doug hired me. The two incidents are unrelated, except in my mind...where I still long for that game to happen.

14. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

well then you're in the PERFECT position to apply gentle prodding.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

As so many videogames based on great licenses turn out to be awful how about we just skip trying to make a good one and produce a game based on all the very worst aspects of RD concepts.

The first level could be a clone of International Karate + where Lister has to roundhouse kick simulants like he did in BAJ.
    (the bouncing ball section could be replaced with Rimmer deflecting coke cans fired at him by the vending machine from OTG).

Level 2 could be a rythm action game ala Space channel 5 where you have to press the right button sequences to take Blue Midget through an overlong, unfunny dance routine.

For level 3 we could introduce a Trauma Centre style operating theatre where you have to endlessly amputate pieces of Lister's arm. Only for him to get it back straight away in the next level.

Level 4 would be a dragon's lair type "interactive movie" where you have little if any actual control. It's sole purpose would be to show off a pointless CGI dinosaur because...you know...we know how to do a dinosaur! A Dinosaur!

Boss: The grim reaper from OTG shows up but what's this...all the techniques and nuances you've previously learned are now rendered useless as the game swerves off in some other direction, ignoring continuity and introducing a new playable character who is irritating, annoying and a completely unwelcome change.

GAME OVER!

On a serious note though, let's have that Monkey Island style game, eh? :-D

16. Demon_Scutter

Why not a Point and Click MMO? It's never been done before

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Could you explain in more detail which series of Red Dwarf you don't like? I ask because in all the many posts you never seem to drop any hint...

18. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Brilliant.

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

you mean I've not mentioned it before? :roll:

On a serious note though, as much as your droll reply amused me Andrew, its a bit naughty of you to paint me as someone who makes endless posts slagging off the latter two series. I'm certainly not shy about joining in discussions of their merits/faults where a thread exists but I'm not one of these people who creates endless posts about it or campaigns to have Red Dwarf shut down.

In fact I've created only two threads concerning episodes withing those series (which I don't hate, incidently) and neither has been a direct attack on them. On the contrary the vast majority of my posts here have been spent defending BTE and arguing with people who say that Doug can't do it on his own, not that that should be any more valid than if I had chosen to post entirely about areas of the show I felt were poor and could be improved.

I'd still buy that IK+ clone though :-)

20. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Believe me when I say that was meant a light-hearted jibe.

It's just become quite noticeable - you've posted a few times where, despite the discussion not being about those series, you've tossed in a few digs to make it clear what you think of them. (Or, at least, many aspects of them.) I never said anything about starting threads - I'm all for the debate, it's more the 'Oh, and it's not pertinent but here's some dislikes of mine stated as fact' stuff I don't care for. It's something you see a lot online, where the assumption of universal dislike is taken a read for the joke, even though it may not be fair to assume any such thing.

But, really, I'm just pointing it out and having a tease. Cos it's, y'know, pretty noticeable. But carry on. As you were.:P