RED DWARF computer game?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SFRimmer12, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yeah, I know. As I say I found it quite amusing, I'm aware that I have a tendancy to rant. No offence taken. :P

2. HologramJoanne

HologramJoanne Skutter

Hi, this is my first Forum reply. I was actually thinking of exactly the same thing, a Red Dwarf video game. Well, why not? The parts could be based on each episode, from The End to Back To Earth part 3. I liked the outfit idea, able to interact and walk about. A good episode for it to be based on would be Gunmen of the Apocalypse, where you would ride on horse back, target knives and gunshots, etc. Has anyone downloaded MMORPGs? Look at the detail. Imagine what it would be like if it hadn't been downloaded a thousand times.
    So yeah, I think it would be a really good idea. I think I will look into this.

3. stephypops

stephypops Catering Officer

Do you think if they brought anything out it would be a PC game or something for other game platforms such as the PS2/PS3 or Wii??
    Or has this been discussed on this thread already and I am just being lazy not reading all the other responses?! :-D

4. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

In case You guys missed it have a look at this link regarding red dwarf game
    Red Dwarf Game Info

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Are you calling it "Drawf" on purpose for legal reasons or something? As I notice that you have the same typo in one of the screenshots.

6. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Well spotted

7. raynemohrman

raynemohrman Skutter

hi. i read that message its very nice useful information giving for me. i thing was that I was actually thinking of exactly the same thing, a Red Dwarf video game. Well, why not? The parts could be based on each episode, from The End to Back To Earth part 3. I liked the outfit idea, able to interact and walk about. A good episode for it to be based on would be Gunmen of the Apocalypse, where you would ride on horse back, target knives and gunshots, etc.:eek:ops::twisted::roll:

8. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

9. Allyndnoir

Allyndnoir Skutter

I'd love to see a video game adaptation from the original RD movie script, or even one based on the first two books. It could be like the Doctor Who Adventure Games recently released. However, if they base it off the old movie script I'd like it in the Ghostbusters style, it'd be cool.

10. buelljack

buelljack Skutter

having read through the thread, i cant help but think that a game running through a history of the episodes would be slightly boring, you already know the gags and would just be playing through the same story.

also if the game allowed you to play as the characters again people wouldnt enjoy it as it wouldnt be 'perfect' and the way they imagine it.

I was thinking the best way to script a Red Dwarf game would be to go completely seperate ways with it,

Start by designing your character, but when the game begins it has a screen shot of you watching the news report about Red Dwarfs drive plate disaster and how the ships computer has accelerated out of the solar system to avoid any major incident with any one else, how its the talking point in the news and inspires your character to join the JMC as an officer,

skip forward to him/her becoming captain of the search ship for Red Dwarf following its trail when a big wibbly wobbly thing in space (never fully explained - classic red dwarf style) transports them to an abandoned red dwarf. And try and solve how it got there and where the crew are.

Im out of specific mission ideas,

but i just think that approaching it as a seperate character in a story running parralel with the series wont ruin it as much.
    You could even use the missions to collect classic clips for the ships security camera's whilst trying to piece together what happened to the crew.

11. Starbugger27

Starbugger27 Third Technician

The point-and-click mechanic would definitely be the way to go if a game was ever made. Any other format would mean very little time for dialogue, which is what Red Dwarf is all about. There are plenty of point-and-click engines available, so I think a fan-made game that was actually worth playing isn't too much to hope for. Now the question of graphics, sprites and backgrounds would be a different story...

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

bring a game out already!!

13. smeh_1990

smeh_1990 Skutter

I would totally buy it.

Costumes choice for Rimmer and Cat - Ace and Duane.

14. fidg3t

fidg3t Skutter

okay so im going to play around with some of the engines and editors that i've got, im thinking theres alot to be gleamed from both books and series. ie an fps that wraps up backwards starting with the rogue simulants on the crimson rouge one and the death wheel, then continuing, or possibly some form of myst type puzzle game, similair to the browser game of long ago, but with upgraded..........everything. ill keep posted with any progress i make and what not.:lol:

15. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I would prefer a MMORPG to a story one as we already know the story, I would get either though. If the MMORPG was online would it have to be official, or could anyone make it? If the latter then can someone make it now, and post the link here?