Red Dwarf costume

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SFRimmer12, Apr 5, 2009.

1. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

This covers all the series (including Back to Earth:-(

Has anyone tried making a Red Dwarf costume? You know, for Halloween or a Dimmension Jump convention. 'Cause, for Halloween last year, I dressed myself in a black velvet-esque shirt with black trousers and had a sparkly 'H' on my head.

What I'd really like to do, though, is try and find a blue, padded, material to turn into a certain jacket from series 6. Or a red, padded material to turn into in a certain jacket from series 5/ early part of series 6. Or a Rimmer series 1, 2, 3, or 4 costume.

Who would you dress up/ who have you dressed up as? All stories, views, questions and ideas welcom.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I think series 1 and 2 would be the easiest, you could get a khaki shirt, tie and trousers and a pretty bog-standard brown belt modify them pretty easily to match Rimmer's usual uniform, just add the name tag and JMC logo on the tie and sleeve and the other bits. I've seen quilted material like the blue and red uniforms but usually in the form of blankets/throws(ha!) and not particularly shiny-like. If you're handy with a sewing machine and have loads of free time you could probably get some shiny/irridescent material and some felt or other thicker cloth to put underneath it and just sew them together in that sort of pattern. Good luck finding those button/clasp dealies. You might be able to make the badge out of sculpyIII or some similar molding material.

I haven't really done costuming myself though I have some friends who do cosplay type stuff and go to anime conventions and other such geekery, it can take them months to put a really good costume together and it isn't a cheap hobby from what I can tell. I'm personally a terrible seamstress so I don't bother myself. :P

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

If you look on ebay there are plenty of space corp patches, probably similar to those worn in the series VIII outfits (I think)

4. connell

connell First Technician

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/gravysmoker/si-fi%20day/P1130924.jpg

Thats me a couple of years back as you know who :-D

That costume did please my effort towards it, even if I did look like a pratt :-)

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

A clickable version for those who can't be smegged copying and pasting.

And it's good, and slightly worrying, how young some of the fans are. Especially when they talk about series 8 'when they were a kid.' Makes me feel rather old.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

:lol: even I feel old and I'm only 25! but I remember seeing Red Dwarf in 1989, so it's been a long time. A lot of fans seem to have got into it around series VII and VIII. It's cool that even though I thought it dropped in quality, it was still making new fans at that time.

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Ah, the days when I would go Trick-or-Treating with a silver H on my forehead. Those were the days.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You should have worn an Inquisitor mask.

9. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Looks fine to me. Need more people like you for the DJ costume competition!

10. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Nice :-D

11. connell

connell First Technician

I would come along, but at the moment I cant afford to come back from Spain, which was a shame, i've always considered coming along to the DJ's but never got round to it!

12. VictoriaP

VictoriaP Skutter

Im attempting to make a holo costume like Katerina for this years london expo and who knows this years DJ !!! I have it planned out the style of dress and H ( of course ) i just need to find somewhere goood to buy a few metres of blue taffeta material.:-(

13. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I'm attempting to make a replica of Lister's Leather Jacket currently. I'm going to base it on the one from 'Back to Earth' and have tracked down most of the badges/patches he wears. Unfortunately there are two badges I can't find, so it'll probably be about 90% accurate.

Also, I'm not looking forward to cutting up a brand new (expensive) leather jacket :-(. I'll have to tear up and stitch back together the right shoulder and cut off/stich on the left arm.

Anyone else attempted anything like this?

P.S. - If anyone has any clear shots of the 'Wilma-on-a-Rocket' design on the back of his jacket I'd be forever greatful!

14. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

I made a Captain Emerald Rimmer hat when I was 13. it wasn't the right fabrics (card, green felt and foil) and a Rimmer/Hitchikers badge (also card and foil that I still have somewhere). but they looked pretty good (if I say so myself!)

I could do a much better job now I reckon though. much more handy with a sewing machine for one. Though I'm not entirely sure who I'd want to dress up as at this point.

My fave Rimmer costume is the series 6/7 quilted one though. I really liked Cats BTE (on Earth) red garb too.

15. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

My O/H reliably informs me that for a series I or II crew costume you need Hi-tech Canvas Magnums (boots).
    oh, and he once made a card Kryten mask!

16. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I love doing the costume competitions at DJ, I'm finding it really difficult to think of an idea to beat my Lister's Brain in a Jar that i did at the last DJ :-/ Got me 2nd place ;-)

17. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

Just noticed, the top i'm wearing in my avatar is similar to Katerina's top, stick a 'H' on my head and i'm done! Haha :-)

18. hugzinator

hugzinator Third Technician

I really want to dress up as Rimmer from Quarantine (milk maid lunatic) but have no idea where to find the dress and of course Mr Flibble. Any suggestions?

19. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I think both were available as Merchandise at one point. I seem to remember something mentioned in series 5 dvd of a props store for the Gingham dress, and Mr Flibble was part of the merchndise made t2 I think, Perhaps someone may beable shed more light for you:-):-)

20. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

This halloween, i'm either dressing up as ace rimmer or 'odour yak urine ' rimmer. if i can find a tin foil, style jacket and a wig then Ace or if i can't find one then yak coat rimmer. :-D