Red dwarf deaths - the good and the bad

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Spaceman, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As he shouts "I am alive", he brings his fists down on the boxes either side of him, setting off the boxes' explosive contents.

2. thepoisoneye

thepoisoneye Second Technician

Thanks for the explanation, Bluey! I had no certain idea why he blew up, now I know why. :-D
    The producers could have put this a bit more clearly, though. I thought that Arnold's revival was due to a kind of temporal mistake which could'nt last longer so he died in the end... But now everything is obvious! :-)

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

To be honest, it was years before I realised what happened.

I too thought it was a bizarre, unexplained explosion.

4. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I think the word 'explosives' (or something similar) written on the box was probably meant to be a clue...

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's very, very easy to miss those words though.

6. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    True. The reaction of the others is worrying though. Given time has been changed, shouldn't they think Rimmer never died. If so, even if they didn't like him, shouldn't there have been more of a reaction to him being blown up?

7. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

Favourite - Katerina/Ghandi/Birdman
    Worst - Cat Preist/Inquisitor

8. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Aw, so they were just a couple of random "explosives" boxes? Weird. I was hoping something tied into the plot or something. Aw well. Do you think it would have been cool if they somehow could have incorporated Hitler's exploding briefcase? I mean, I guess they really couldn't at all since Lister tosses it back in the picture, but if they could have, that would have been funny.

The explanation just creates another mystery (as opposed to the original mystery being, "what caused the explosion?", now the question is "why are there boxes of explosives there anyway?") Were they originally used for mining purposes? Yeah, I guess that'd have to be it. They seemed very unstable though to be kept in such an unsafe place. I realize I am over-analyzing this at this point.
    But if you can't over-analyze an RD episode on the RD message board, where can you? ;-) It was still an awesome episode!

9. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Plenty of amusing deaths on RD, having trouble thinking of any bad ones that I didn't like whatsoever...there were cheesy ones, to be sure, but I found them cheesy in an amusing way, not a bad way.

Some personal favorites...

- Ghandi exploding on the spot and Noel Coward's reaction to getting shot were both priceless.
    - Kryten killing off the characters in Pride and Prejudice with poison darts and a tank.

I guess the two cheesiest deaths come from the same season; Landstrom in Quarantine and the Inquisitor in...well, the Inquisitor. :P But again, I found them cheesy in an amusing way. Landstrom's weird little jig got a strange giggle out of me, and the Inquisitor's death was made all the better by Lister's "old backfiring time gauntlet trick" line.

EDIT: I also had no issue with the way Katerina bit the dust in BTE. I thought it was right on par with Rimmer's character to shove her into the way of an oncoming vehicle, and I certainly laughed at it.

10. pole85

pole85 First Technician

I believe Landstrom's jig is supposed to be death spasms/ trying to fight the pending death.

11. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Optimus Prime's death was quite tragic.

12. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

It took me years to realise too. I used to think there was a bomb or something in the sandwich lol.

13. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I actually liked her death, I don't know I just thought it was funny.
    I also like the death's in meltdown in wax world, with the wax blood. and rimmers 'gazpacho soup' death.

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Ghandi and Noel Coward..! :lol: