Red Dwarf Encyclopedia now available!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by karnie, Nov 8, 2014.

1. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

At the moment there are no solid plans; We're still toying with the idea of e-books, but for a book of this type, the conversion isn't as straightforward as a typical straight-text book, so we're not sure if it's feasible for the near future.

2. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Karnie looks like its going to be tomorrow. I'll try get an exact time for you tonight!

No idea what I'll ask you but it will all be encyclopedia based!

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Sounds great, look forward to it!

4. jedshepherd

looks like its going to between 6-7pm UK time. is that okay?

5. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I can't really speak for the more traditional methods of selling books, our books are printed using Amazon's Print-On-Demand service, which means we literally have zero overhead; there's no supply, printing, or shipping costs to us. We send Amazon the book's files, and when someone orders a copy from them, they print it and ship it, and we get royalties based on those sales. The up side is everything is taken care of for us: Amazon page creation, order fulfillment, payment transactions, printing, returns, etc, and we don't have to print and store thousands of copies. The downside is Amazon takes a SUBSTANTIAL cut from the sales for all those services. This also goes for ebook sales sold through their KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing)service; even though you'd think it would be cheaper, they still need to host the book, advertise it, handle the transactions, upload it to customers, etc. (as well as pay out royalties). The actual product is really a small percentage of the cost; it's all about how it gets to you. As a consumer, I agree that logic would dictate that because you're not getting a hardcopy, it should be cheaper, but you're really paying for the material, not the medium.

Hope I've somewhat answered your question!

6. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Works for me!

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Popularity driving up the price.

8. jedshepherd

karnie ill call you in an hour.

9. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Hey Jed, I'm so sorry, I got my times mixed up... Are you available tomorrow hopefully? Let me know tonight so I can take time off at work. If not, maybe next week?

10. jedshepherd

did you get my pm? we can either do tomorrow morning, or you can be on our xmas special!

11. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I can guarantee you there won't be by that time... if I were to do it, it wouldn't be until after the new series airs.

12. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Most of it was pretty straightforward, I was able to purchase (or otherwise find) everything that is or could be considered canon. There were only a few things I can think of that presented somewhat of a challenge: The Roleplaying Game, in that one of the books was rare and ended up costing much more than I would have liked, and any new material found here on the official site, only because there was so many pages to sift through. The entries for the main characters were the most difficult to write, since they appear in pretty much everything and were much more prone to conflicts and inconsistencies, especially between mediums.

13. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

A lot of it was on a case-by-case basis, but for the most part I took the most accepted version or, when there were differences between mediums, there was a hierarchy I went by (Shows, Novels, Website, Smegazines, etc.). For the example you gave, I went with the number given in The Inquisitor (1,169), because that was the show's way of retrofixing the original ridiculous number of 169, and the show was higher in the "hierarchy" than the novel, which upped it to 11,169. I also mention and explain any contradictions like this in the Notes section of each entry. Same thing with Kochanski's relationship with Lister: I went with the later version in which they dated for 3 weeks, because that established their relationship throughout series 7 and 8, but mentioned in the notes that originally they had not dated.

It was actually an extremely fun process, despite the challenges of trying to make everything work together. It also helped that I considered certain things, like parts of the novels, a separate universe, simply because there were too many events that were similar yet way too different to be considered part of the show's continuity.

14. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Sorry about the bump, but I figured with the holiday season upon us and lots of new members, it was worth another mention.

Check 'em out HERE!

Also, an update on... the.. er, update.

I'm feverishly working on the entries for Series XI for the Addendum. The new additions are taking longer than expected due to more detailed sets, the mobile game, etc.

In case you don't know or missed the previous announcement, the two books currently available on Amazon are NOT going to be updated in the future (so feel free to purchase them this holiday season!); instead, I've created a free PDF file which is available here and is occasionally updated as new material comes in, which you can print and keep with your books. If and when there is ever a finite end to the series, with no chance of any more material being produced, that Addendum will probably be made into a third book as a supplement and sold as cheaply as Amazon will let me (i.e. we won't make any money on it). But until then I don't want to make the books out there obsolete by releasing a second edition, so if you're interested in the books, there's no need to wait for an update.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

15. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm not normally one to join in on an advert, but in this case I'll make an exception. They really are very good. An ideal Christmas present for that Red Dwarf fan in your life :-)

Karnie, I've sent my PayPal details on a PM ;-)

16. jedshepherd

I will also chip in as I have both volumes and they are ridiculously good. Detailed, informative, accessible and fun!