Red Dwarf Episode Opinion Chain

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 27, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Just an idea I had. I'll name an episode at the end of this, and someone gives their personal opinion of it. They in turn finish their post by naming a new episode for the next poster to come along and give their opinion of, and so the chain continues.

In the unlikely event that two people post an opinion of the same episode at the same time, the second post should be disregarded.

So, let's kick off.

Legion.

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I've just been thinking about Legion, so I'll have a go at this one.

I always find it interesting that this episode seems to describe Grant Naylor's own writing partnership - they had already referred to themselves as a 'gestalt entity' in the intro to the Omnibus. And yet following this series, they fail to take their own advice - the idea that if you work together you can be greater than the sum of your parts.

I would place this ep second in the series behind Gunmen, but it's a very close second. There are definitely more hits than misses in the opening scenes on Starbug - love all the space weevil stuff (and Kryten's 'Please, don't hit me'), the Albanian State Washing Machine Company, 'all known languages, including Welsh' (what did they have against Wales in this series?!), and of course the famous blue alert gag. It's only really let down by a couple of Cat's weaker lines - another smelling simile, a couple more 'deader than...' lines. Oh, and Rimmer's 'hear this, 'cause it's only coming once' which inexplicably gets a (clearly edited) laugh.

Arriving at Legion's space station - and now that I've found out where this part was filmed, I can't get that picture of it being demolished out of my mind! - the episode really begins in earnest. A lot of (all?) the series VI episodes begin with fast-paced, gag-heavy scenes on Starbug, but I always prefer it when they get to the real, um, nub of the story. I've always found Legion a bit creepy, and his line 'my name is Legion, for we are many' is downright chilling when you know where it comes from (see 'demons' question in the quiz tennis thread). The Mamosian banquet scene is my favourite in the series - it never fails to make me laugh out loud and I must have watched it a gazillion times!

Damn, writing this is making me late and I need to get the kids up for school! So I'll wrap up by giving Legion a score of 8 1/2 gigooks out of 10.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to give an episode to the next poster. How about...Holoship! Ok, I'm really going now. Sorry. Thank you. Sorry. Bye. Bye. Sorry.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Episodes based around Rimmer tend to work well, and Holoship is a pretty impressive opener for season 5. Chris Barrie is just wonderful in this episode, and in fact his performance here is what I consider to be the best acting from anyone in all ten seasons of Red Dwarf. The script requires Rimmer to go through the full range of emotions, and Barrie pulls it off wonderfully. There's some good lines in this episode, but the best has to be Rimmer's "I've come to regard you as people I met" - a line that sums him up perfectly. I also have to mention the wonderful guest cast: Jane Horrocks, who plays Nirvanah Crane, is very good, but the best is Don Warrington as Commander Binks.

Next episode: Gunmen of the Apocalypse

4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Good fun episode, though not my personal favourite, even from Series VI. I rate Psirens, Legion and Out of Time higher. It was nice to see Kryten play the hero and it was certainly a 'different' feeling episode, certainly an ambitious one.

There isn't really anything I don't like about it, I especially like the ending.

Queeg.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Two great reviews / opinions!

I'm choosing to jump in here because I watched this very episode last night. Probably VI's strongest episode (and as I said elsewhere recently - they're all strong). I love the opening AR segment (I'm a sucker for the use of this vehicle and wish it was used more) and Kryten's Sammy the Squib cracks me up every time. But it's the Western scenes that make this episode so special, and they work as a great contrast to the whole 'sci-fi / space' theme. Sadly, I know Bear-strangler Mcgee's line off-by-heart, and can say it with perfect tone and timing (which I do every time I watch the episode).

If I do have a complaint, it's that I think the 'showdown' scenes fall a little flat somehow. Can't quite put my finger on why, but I find myself tiring at this stage and always glad to see the end credits roll (too much of a good thing, maybe?).

Next up, Timeslides.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I think Timeslides is often overlooked because Series III has so many famous marquee episodes in it. But it's one of the strongest of the series for me, and I'd probably rather watch it than the more feted Backwards, Marooned or Polymorph. I think Robert Addie is massively underrated as one of the show's funniest guest turns ("Luigi's Fish 'n' Chip Emporium") and I like that the show comes up with a time travel conceit with a limit and sticks to it. You learn so much about Rimmer and Lister's respective personalities from the way they try to change their lives, so it works very well as a character piece, too. In short, in a series that I think is generally a little over-praised (many would have it as the best series but I think it's weaker than the two either side of it) this one's a belter.

Next: Stasis Leak

7. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Where the hell did Pember's reply to Bluey materialise from?? The timestamp says it was posted 10 minutes before mine, but it wasn't there when I submitted?

This messes things up somewhat, as Seb also failed to notice his reply to Bluey came before mine, and has in turn suggested the next episode.

Sorry, Pembers.

Crap, this thread has a parallel universe! That's the second time two posts have been submitted simultaneously.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Let's start again, shall we?

The current post is this:

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

No probs Billy, perhaps the next poster could choose between Queeg and Stasis Leak and we'll go from there.

11. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

So what is it?

12. Callisto252

Ok then, Queeg - and I can see it's not really a good idea to write an essay in this thread!

One of the best episodes from one of the best series - brilliant performances all round, especially Norman Lovett and Charles Augins (it was certainly Norman's finest hour). And an early example of Lister and Rimmer being on the same side, as it were (an idea later explored much less successfully in series VIII), only here it leads to some great bunkroom dialogue. A couple of questions it raises: how long did Holly's deception go on for? And was the SS Scott Fitzgerald named after the author or the 1988 UK Eurovision entrant??

Basically, it's fantastic! Next episode: Pete part II :twisted:

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

In Pete part 2 Doug seems to forget what made Red Dwarf great and instead goes for every terrible attempt at humour that he can squeeze out - even if that means sacrificing the usual good characterisation and storytelling. So we have Hollister randomly being made to say 'see you in ten minutes' over and over again, Kryten making a penis, which leads up to an unfunny Alien parody, a completely stupid delayed fight reaction in Hollister's office, a baby dinosaur hatching and terrorising Hollister, and Rimmer and Lister not acting Like Rimmer and Lister. Not only are the main cast very poor here, but we also have to suffer some of the worst guest performances of all ten seasons (Kill Crazy is bad enough, but Birdman is on another level of awfulness).

Next episode: Meltdown

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm going to pick this one up, too, as I find it an interesting episode - although not necessarily in a good way.

The only way I can express my feeling about this episode, is to to say that for reasons I've so far been unable to determine, it doesn't feel like an episode of Red Dwarf. If a television series can have one of those days where it 'doesn't feel like itself', it happened here.

I think the main problem is probably Rimmer - he's an utter bar-steward in this, but not in the usual likeable way.

Next, Only the Good.

15. Callisto252

I think this episode would be more appositely named Only the Bad (ha ha, listen to my great joke!). Perhaps I'm not the best qualified to give an opinion of this episode having watched it only a handful of times, but the reason for this is that I find it fundamentally unwatchable - which I suppose is a valid opinion in itself. As with the rest of series VIII, I no longer feel like I'm watching Red Dwarf, but a poor imitation of it. The story makes no sense, there is no attempt at any scientific explanation (how can they suddenly create a mirror universe?), it feels rushed and the scene with Talia just makes me cringe. Worst of all is that ending, complete with audience applause to remind us that it was actually 'funny' - all that's missing is a 'You have been watching...' caption. Woeful.

Next up - Me2

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

So you're not keen on Only the Good, then? :-D

It's from series 1, so it's always going to be up there among my favourites, and I suspect it would fall somewhere in the upper half if I was to place episodes from s1 and 2 in order of preference.

It's a great vehicle for Rimmer and Lister's bickering, even after Rimmer moves next door. I love the scene where Lister is celebrating his freedom... "I'm gonna crack me knuckles, I'm gonna griiiind me teeth!" and the request for popcorn when watching Rimmer's death video is done brilliantly - so casual like it's the most natural thing in the world.

I'm less keen on the double Rimmer scenes, and by far my least favourite part is his revelation about gazpacho soup day. His delivery doesn't seem right somehow, and I think it would have worked better if he'd dropped the 'proud soldier' act.

Next - The Inquisitor.

17. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

The Inquisitor is my favourite episode.

I just love the whole concept, justifying your existence to yourself. No blagging, no skimming over things, no hiding place.

The scene where they all have to justify themselves is great as it shows all the characters at their best, at their worst and at their most typical. If you want someone to understand why the 4 characters are so fascinating show them that scene.

Lister? Brave, defiant, funny but a bit stupid.

Kryten? Unassuming, obedient, thoughtful but more human like than he is supposed to be.

Rimmer tries to weasel his way out of it at first, then he drops the facade and shows his vulnerable side.

Cat is perfectly Cat here, self satisfied, oblivious to the danger he''s in but in an endearing way.

There is a very serious, sinister villain, lots of very straight, intense scenes but also plenty of very funny gags, for me The Inquisitor is Red Dwarf at its best.

Next, Duct Soup.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Despite its flaws (the characterisation going off, a lot of the comedy falling flat, lack of Rimmer and so on), something about the style of season 7 really appeals to me, and Duct Soup in particular is an episode that I love. This is an episode that's hated by so many Red Dwarf fans, and yet I'd place it in my all-time top five episodes. I love the whole concept of the crew having to travel miles through the service ducts, the conversations, and the group interactions. There's some poor stuff here and there (such as the rusty gate joke), but I love almost everything in this episode. I always watch the extended version of this - apart from getting more material, there's also the bonus of having no studio audience. This is one episode that works a lot better without one.

Next: The Last Day

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I think this is the episode where the character of Kryten really came into his own. There's so much to like and enjoy from this episode - even the throwaway stuff (if you'll pardon the pun) like Kryten throwing away Lister's (very tasty looking) breakfast of waffles, maple syrup, strawberries and ice cream, and Lister fishing it out of the bin when Kryten leaves the room. The highlights for me are the party preparations and subsequent celebrations (even if Hattie is especially annoying in this scene). I don't really know why, but I love Kryten's line, "Oh, a little box that goes bzzztt! Just what I've always wanted."

Next - Camille.

20. Callisto252

Camille - an episode that doesn't seem to be that highly regarded but I've always enjoyed it. A strong start with the fruit scene (love Cat's 'You taught him that?!'), then the whole scene with Kryten and Camille falling in 'advanced mutual compatability' is brilliantly funny ('Oh yes, I forgot to carry the three'). Also great is the misunderstanding between Rimmer and Kryten on their return to the ship ('Do you think I'm attractive?'), and Cat discovering that he is the object of his own desire. I think Camille does go off a bit towards the end with the green blob stuff and the Casablanca parody, but overall this is an amusing and entertaining episode which sits quite happily alongside the classics of middle-era Red Dwarf.

Next up - The End