Red Dwarf Episode Opinion Chain

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Not the funniest episode, but necessary to set up the whole premise of the show. I still don't understand why Lister would go around tasting all the piles of white powder?

Talking of which, I love Holly's line:

Well, she won't be much use to you on Fiji now. Not unless it snows and you need something to grit the path with.

Next up, The Beginning.

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Well it's been a couple of days so I'll take up this one. The first time I saw this episode I must admit I was a little bit disappointed because it had been built up so much prior to broadcast. There were so many rumours and theories, especially about the identity of the mysteriously attired guest star. Was it Captain Hollister, gone deranged, returning to the ship to take his revenge on the crew? No, it turned out to be a comedy simulant with a silly accent, which I thought was a slight let down.

No mind. The episode actually starts really strongly with the young Rimmer and Wendy scene, although it annoys me that you can't easily tell the difference between the blue and purple sheets of paper (or perhaps it's just my TV!). Then the scene with Hoagey the Roguey in which I was convinced he was saying 'you kissed my brother'. The effects are much better here than in other episodes in the series and the sequence where the annihilators first attack the ship is genuinely exciting - it does seem as if the crew are in serious peril this time. I love the Star Wars parody (although the way the holo-lamp is just shoehorned in annoys me a bit) and Rimmer's battleplan timetable was a great in-joke for everyone who's read the novels. The evil simulant scenes are great, and it's lovely to see Rimmer finally saving the day! All in all a good episode.

One more thing though - the title bugs me. The beginning of what? Or was it just called that because it was possibly the last episode and it would have been a nice symmetry? If so, then that's been well and truly messed up! Oh well, Red Dwarf has always been a bit contrary so I suppose it doesn't matter that The Beginning's in the middle.

Next to review: Psirens

3. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Great classic episode. I started watching RD in 1990 with my father as a kid but one of my earliest RD memories is seeing Psirens for the first time. This is a good "introductory" episode for those who've never seen Dwarf because it has everything. It even reintroduces the characters so you don't feel lost if you've never seen the show before. I'm of the unpopular opinion that series 6 started a decline for the show because of the predictable and similar manner in which all the episodes were written. But Psirens even manages to be a minor offender in this category due to the fist act being different than the rest of the series. Even has a Kochanski cameo. Can't go wrong. If I had to pick top 5 RD episodes to show someone new to the show, Psirens would be on the list.

Next: Stoke me a Clipper

4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I'm in the 'pro' Series 7 camp, most of it at least and I really like Stoke Me a Clipper.

The opening scene is perhaps a little more 'silly' than I would have liked but it is genuinely funny which is key.

Obviously it is a shame that Chris Barrie left the show and Rimmer had to leave but this was as good a way as any to do it. I liked how they kept Rimmer as a bozo right until the end. Also one of the most under-rated Red Dwarf moments occurs in this episode, the genuine, no dream, warm hug between Lister and Rimmer as he is leaving.

The scene with all the Rimmer's circling the planet is visually awesome as well.

Overall I think Stoke is a great episode and very under-rated.

Next.....Demons and Angels.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm surprised you say that. I don't think I'm alone in my opinion that series 6 is one of the shows strongest series. I personally don't think it contains a single duff episode.

And I've only just noticed you said unpoplar opinion. I'll get me coat.

PS. Love the username :-D

I'm kind of torn on this episode. On the one hand it's quite a solid effort, and I like any episode that features Ace, but it's also tinged with sadness because it's all about the leaving of Rimmer.

As it turned out the following series did very nicely without the character (at least in my opinion), but even knowing this doesn't make his leaving in 6 any easier.

(Pipped to the post, again. Please see previous post for the next episode)

6. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

That's twice I've pipped you to the post Billy boy. :-D

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Man!!! :?

I'll go and delete my 'next episode' line.

8. Strat-tastic

Why do I always see this thread title as Red Dwarf Episode Onion Chain... :-D

9. Callisto252

Great idea! You can only review Red Dwarf episodes that contain references to onions. That leaves us with:

1. Psirens
    2. Out of Time
    3. Lister has extra onions somewhere
    4. Er...

(idea discontinued)

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm not the best at thread titles.

11. Strat-tastic

It's nothing to do with you Billy ;-)

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Demons and Angels

I love this episode. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor's writing is at its peak in season 5, and this is another example of how imaginative they were around this era. This is another dark season 5 episode - quite possibly the darkest episode that Red Dwarf has ever done - and High Lister's murder (being stabbed to death by our Lister) is probably the show's most disturbing death. With all the blood spouting from his wounds, it's certainly an uncharacteristically graphic death for Red Dwarf. As well as the great storyline, it's just great to see the main cast once again having fun playing alternate versions of themselves. There's also a rare Cat/Kryten scene here and Chris Barrie being hilarious in his Low persona.

Next episode: Back to Reality

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What can I say? Voted fans' favourite episode in a poll, and for very good reason. Back to Reality is a good example of those instances every tv show encounters at some time or another, when everything just gels and comes together beautifully. The scene in the Recuperation Lounge is brilliantly done, exposing the would-be real life counterparts of the guys' game characters.

Having said that, BtR somehow manages to feel rather small in scope, and plays out like a single, extended scene rather than an episode where it feels as though time is really passing.

Regardless, a brilliant episode that I never tire of.

Next: Beyond a Joke

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Beyond a Joke

Derided by many, but actually one of my favourite episodes of Series VII.

I think having Kryten whiney is one of the things that put a lot of people off. That and the fact this is a Rimmerless episode. But I thought the shenanigans with Kryten disrupting the Jane Austin world simulation (the realisation in itself being very amusing, I thought ) and finally blowing his top, went very well. Sure, the whole nega-drive thing seemed a bit out of nowhere, a bit like Rimmers holomessage gizmo from The Beginning. And I had mixed feelings concerning the final resolution against the simulant, but overall it was great episode.

It was a great Kryten character exploration, particularly as he even encountered another droid of the same specification as him, who really could have been him if his life had taken another route. And Able arguably redeemed himself as well showing Kryten that if an alternate version of himself could fall so low and end up a hero, he too can become a better person and beat his programming... which arguably he has come a long way in doing already.

And the story plot itself had that structure which made the more good complex Red Dwarf episodes good. It starts in one scenario, becomes something else but ties things up nicely at the end.

And you've got a simulant baddie played by the late Don Henderson. I like simulants.

A lot to like I think, and not a whole lot to dislike, yet people do.

My co-favourite episode of Series 2:

Stasis Leak.

15. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I do like Stasis Leak but I just can't get my head around the plot hole that they had a portal back to their time, even got off the ship I think and just went back to Red Dwarf 3 million years in the future. There is so much they could have done (one being stay there and mend the drive plate properly.)

That said there are lots of funny moments including the last scene, and I enjoy the conversations between Lister/Lister and Rimmer/Rimmer. One thing that does puzzle me about that final scene, why is it DoubleDouble Lister (i.e the one that marries Kochanski), who says 'what's that mustache?' to DoubleDouble Rimmer as is/was the Rimmer who was with him? Or something, I think.

Next episode to review........DNA.

16. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

DNA has a superb subplot in Kryten becoming a human, and the "double polaroid" is one of the all-time greats when it comes to visual humour. However, the vindaloo monster (and the resolution of the threat) is one of the sillier moments in the classic run. So the episode is somewhere in the middle for me.

It's a long time since I watched it, and I look forward to revising my assessment during the inevitable pre-XI Dwarf marathon.

Next up: Back to Earth.

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

When the long-awaited return of Red Dwarf arrived on our screens I was hoping for some kind of magical and seamless continuation of the earlier stuff. It was a silly and futile hope, and within the first three minutes I realised the show had become something very different indeed. I wasn't happy.

However, on reflection and subsequent viewings I now appreciate it for what it is, and dare I say, enjoy it. When compared to what little I've seen of series 10, it's nigh on classic Dwarf.

Next up, Bodyswap

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Bodyswap

Like most of season 3, I don't find this episode particularly interesting. It's a typically wacky premise but overall I don't find the storyline all that engaging. There are a few things that I like though. Those opening few minutes when Listers sets off the self-destruct countdown are great (I especially love the bit where Cat drops the tape containing Lister's mind into his coffee) though I think we could have done without that whole conversation about sexual organs. There's also some good lines later in the episode, such as Rimmer's: "You can't get two weeks in the Caribbean then Grimsby is better than nothing." And I have to say that Charles is better at being Rimmer than Barrie is at being Lister.

Next episode: Out of Time

19. Callisto252

Sorry to interrupt, but does he really say that? I genuinely can't hear it!

20. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Hmmmm how strange, just re-watched the end so I could say at what point it happened and its not there. :shock:

Either there is some strange timey-wimey paradox going on or I saw it on the re-mastered version when I was younger and its stuck in my head. Though why would they add a bit that makes no sense?

Weird.