Red Dwarf Episode Opinion Chain

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it's the remastered version of the episode has some extra bits in that scene in which Rimmer's moustache is mentioned. I remember our Lister saying, "You look like Douglas Fairbanks Jr", which isn't there in the original. I've no adequate answer to your question though. I think I remember wondering the same thing myself when watching the episode.

2. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Awesome, I just watched this episode last night back to back with the beginning of Tikka to Ride (before I fell asleep). Aside from my observations on the appearance of the "future crew" I posted in the other thread, this is one of the best S6 episodes. Great cliffhanger that went unresolved for a couple (or three?) years, but at the time seemed like an eternity. Personally, I think it's the best-resolved cliffhanger out of all the RD cliffhangers to date. Others don't seem to agree, but the explanation given at the beginning of Tikka works for me. Having re-watched the whole of S6 recently, which is one of my least favorite series, I find the episodes seem a bit stronger when taken individually and not watched as a whole, back to back. The reason I say this is S6 is the only series of RD where all the episodes seem to follow a more or less "cookie cutter" plot outline and joke format. Watching them back to back this gets stale really quick, but taken on their own and watched individually or sprinkled in and mixed with other series episodes, they seem stronger. One of my favorite RD moments is when they hit the unreality pocket and Starbug disappears and they're all just sitting there in chairs flying through space, but Cat still has the steering controls in his hands, the look on his face is priceless. It's a quick blink and you'll miss it moment but it gets me every time.

Next episode: Back in the Red (full length version, one of my personal favorites, apparently I'm the only one, though)

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Check list:

Legion.
    Holoship
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    Queeg
    Pete Part II
    Meltdown
    Only the Good
    Me2
    The Inquisitor
    Duct Soup
    The Last Day
    Camille
    The End
    The Beginning
    Psirens
    Stoke Me a Clipper
    Demons and Angels
    Back to Reality
    Beyond a Joke
    Stasis Leak
    DNA
    Back to Earth
    Bodyswap
    Out of Time

Currently pending:

Back in the Red

4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I think the concept of resurrecting the crew was a good one, and seeing Lister struggle with going back to his 'normal' life on board Red Dwarf, including sharing a bunk with Rimmer 'how he used to be' was interesting.

Using the luck and sexual magnetism virus was a nice touch and having Rimmer exploit Lister's knowledge for his own benefit was good.

I also liked the opening scene between Lister and Rimmer although a bug bear is that it took much longer than a minute for Rimmer to snap, despite what Lister said.

On the whole though I thought Back in the Red was too long and I hated the whole prison idea and setting. As this episode sets all that up its not one of my favourites. The whole style of the show felt too different and I felt like I was watching a typical BBC studio sitcom with slapstick and toilet humour, as opposed to the best sitcom in the world ever, which is what Red Dwarf usually is.

Next episode.....Quarantine.