Red Dwarf Epsiode Grievences

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Feb 1, 2017.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What elements / scenes / lines from Red Dwarf irritate you?

A big one for me (and this isn't just because I don't like Hattie as Holly) is in Bodyswap when Holly explains that the reason the bomb didn't go off at the end of the countdown is because there's actually no bomb on board, and when asked why she didn't say so, just says, "You never asked."

I know the character is supposed to be stupid, but the whole thing doesn't make any sense. It would have been far funnier if she'd looked all embarrassed when asked and said, "Uuuum, I forgot." or some such line. The notion that she knew there was no bomb on board and still let the crew go through the whole mindswap procedure without saying anything is ludicrous!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Holly moment you mentioned in Bodyswap rankles with me too, but for a different reason - it's such a cliched line that I can't understand why Rob and Doug decided to use it. Did they think long and hard about it but were unable to come up with something both funnier and more original? Sticking with Hattie's Holly, during The Last Day she says, "It's probably lethal to androids to be honest, but I don't think it matters much since tomorrow you're gonna be..." and then stops when she realises what she's saying is insensitive. The moment of realisation by Hattie is so badly played that I can't watch without mentally cringing. Hattie comes across as a really nice person in real life, but, my god, she's a dreadful actress.

That 'shoes have soles' story that Lister tells in Queeg also annoys me for some reason. I normally love the Rimmer/Lister conversations of seasons one and two but something about that has always irritated me. And I won't bother mentioning the things that irritate me about season 8 since I'll be here all day.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The BEGG in Entangled saying he ate someone from an English boarding school. It undermines the entire premise of Red Dwarf. We're in the year 3000000 and humans are presumed long-extinct. So there was someone from an English boarding school - presumably a human - still alive in this BEGGs lifetime? How long do BEGGs live then? Why didn't the crew ask these questions? Maybe it was a lone stasis-survivor like Lister, but surely they'd express some interest in clarifying this. And the name BEGG annoys me. They're so similar to the regular GELFs, why bother introducing them as a new species never to be seen or heard from again. The line causes more problems than it's worth, it would have been better to just call them regular GELFs and have Kryten translate like normal.

The bit in Better than Life where the Cat appears to make a visual reference to cunnilingus. It's really creepy, in fact it seems almost sinister. Like there's some sort of seedy underbelly of Red Dwarf you didn't know about. I don't find sex humour that funny, it's like "I'm aware of sex" and we're supposed to laugh because it's sex, like we're perpetually thirteen. The skeleton scene in Samsara bothers me too. I get it, it's funny because sex. Just seems really cheap. It's like they're trying too hard to be edgy and "adult". I suppose that one was relevent to the plot, at least.

The bit in Series VII somewhere where Kochanski knows the average rainfall in Venezeula. Lister says he bets she knows the average rainfall in Venezeula and she denies it, then says the answer. Hah, she knew it afterall! Imagine that! Just seems so signposted.

The bit in Series VII somewhere where Kochanski says she'll ask someone more intelligent and then turns to the wall and says "Hello, wall, what do you think?". It leaves me cold. Contrived.

The whole call centre sequence in Trojan where Lister is on hold for ages. It just doesn't work because it's like Doug wanted to make a comment about calling helpdesks, and forgot it was a home shopping channel. Helpdesks don't care how long they make you wait because they're not making money from your call, so they're often understaffed. But why would they make people wait if those people are ringing to give them money. And who else is on the line anyway, given Lister is the last human. Were lots of GELFs calling up for stir-masters too?

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes! Yes! Yes! I also cringe at this line too. I find myself waiting for it with dread.

I've said this one before and the whole forum got a little upset with me - accused me of sacrilege - but Tony Hawks' character in Better Than Life irritates me.

And also in Timeslides the young Lister irritates me (because of how effeminate he is - nothing like Lister) and Glibert, Lister's personal butler (because of his sycophantic superiority).

5. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Yeah, I can't have been the only one wondering why he wasn't in a pretty dress and ladies' high heels...

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:lol: I wouldn't have gone that far, but I hear you.

7. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Yeah. Young Lister was kind of "Dame Edna Everage as Dave Lister".

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Have I come to the wrong place... :? :P

Red Dwarf fan forum, ja? ;-)

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I just thought it might make a change to discuss the things we don't like, in a fun, 'we still love RD but...' kind of way.

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

And why not! :-)

I'll have to have a good old think, in me head.

11. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I don't think young Lister was meant to be 'effeminate' (I also wonder what is wrong with that if he was) his higher voice and smiley chirpy personality was meant to highlight his youth, to differentiate him from 'older' Lister. In reality a 17 year old would be very similar to a 25 year version of himself so I think they did that to highlight the difference to the viewer.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. He was just supposed to be a kid, not effeminate. Played by Craig Charles's own kid brother in fact.

This thread highlights how different our tastes are, as most of the things mentioned here didn't bother me at all. A couple of them, I even found funny!

Things that I actually didn't like:

Confidence from Confidence and Paranoia. I found him so annoying. That being said, I suspect I was supposed to.

That part at the end of Kryten*, where Kryten is rebelling. Not so much the sequence in itself, but the way it was played and the audience roaring (Yeah! Yeah!) reaction. I'm not entirely sure why, it just grated. It felt very American sitcomy actually, and I don't mean that to dis American sitcoms, as some of them are very good.

That bit in series 8 when Lister rewinds Hollister several times. What was that even about? The repetitive nature of Rimmer and Lister's shenanigans with Pete, returning to Holister. Yawn... and I didn't actually dislike the episode as a premise and found the de-evolution sparrow to T-Rex stuff amusing. I really liked the out of synch punch up sequence though. Heh.

Rimmer's over the top salute... was kinda funny, then got annoying then funny again,so I'm undecided about that one. I guess it actually worked in the end.

Actually I don't dislike much of series 8, but I found parts of certain episodes dragged rather a lot. Back in the Red, while arguably one of the best episodes of Series 8, dragged for me nearer the end. It's not that I particularly disliked what was going on, I just had a feeling... when will it end? Possibly watching the concatenated version was part of that, too, although it is probably the best version of Back in the Red.

Kryten's over the top whining in series 7 annoyed back in the day. When I've watched it in later years, it hasn't bothered me much though. Actually, I'd rate series 7 pretty highly overall. And while I found Kochanski's moaning a bit irritating when I first saw the series, it bothered me less later. In fact it makes complete sense when you consider the character's predicament.

*the episode of that name in Series 2, I'm not referring to one of his groinal attachments. Boom boom!

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

No, I never suspected he was meant to be effeminate, but the fact remains the actor who played him is/was. And no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but the character is so unlike Lister because of it, it grates with me.

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Any scene featuring Talkie Toaster. Yes, I know he's supposed to be annoying, but he's supposed to be annoying in a funny way, while I just find him annoying in an annoying way.

15. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Oh yes, I was going to say there's not much in the first 6 series that I find irritating but I'd forgotten that bit. I think it's mainly the audience reaction that I find annoying rather than the performances - actually, the audience are quite annoying throughout that whole episode. Worse though is the horrible, yelpy laugh throughout Thanks for the Memory - I try not to let it ruin what is probably my favourite episode.

Loads of moments to choose from in VII and VIII, but as I hardly ever watch them they don't tend to annoy me too much! Though I will single out Kochanski's line in Blue, where she talks about 'a carefree, fun-loving Rimmer' - not sure why I hate that so much, but I do.

16. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I don't particularly like drunk Arlene Rimmer, she doesn't act like our Rimmer she just acts mentally ill.

17. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Very true! Our Rimmer would never have the B@ll's to be that forward, drunk or not.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I really didn't like Arlene Rimmer or Deb Lister. In fact, I didn't like Hilly or the Dog either. It should be clear by now that I can't stand Parallel Universe.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I didn't like that part in series X when...

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I warn you this is a petty one, but it rankles simply because the writers didn't re-word the script. In The Last Day when they're all taking the mickey out of Lister about the possibility of his parents being related, and Rimmer asks, 'How many toes have you got?', Lister replies defensively, 'Ten!', to which Cat retorts, 'Yeah, on both feet.'

Isn't it normal to have ten toes on both feet? Yeah, I know what he was suggesting, but it should have been, 'Yeah, on each foot.'

And now, every time you watch that scene, you'll be thinking the same thing. You're welcome.