Red Dwarf Epsiode Grievences

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I'd say its normal to have 5 toes on both feet, like its normal to have one hand on both arms. So ten toes on both feet wouldbe weird, therefore the joke works.

2. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

My biggest grievance is the way, in Entangled, they just kill off Irene E., and Rimmer and Lister barely seem to care. They've finally found another human, and a female one at that, but barely care at all when she is quickly killed off. All we get is a terribly weak ending joke.

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

OOoooooOOOOO Billy! :-D

*strokes beard approvingly*

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yup!

So you think it's normal to have two and a half toes on each foot then?

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Currently watching Body Swap - one of my least favourite episodes - and I'm reminded that Chris Barrie's performances in this really irritates me, or at least it does after the swap. It's the way he tries to act and look like Lister by miming in a scouse accent that annoys me, especially his face on the stairs with Cat when he says, "Ow else can I pilot White Midget?"

In fact the whole concept of this episode is a bugbear for me. It fails on every conceivable level; premise, execution, performances, sound. At no point during this episode do I feel as though I'm watching Lister in Rimmer's body and Rimmer in Lister's, and the voices are so obviously coming from the sound booth in which they did all the dubbing that it distracts even further from any pleasure there might have been.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm not a Bodyswap fan either, and I think you pretty much sum up what I don't like about the episode. These days I find it a real chore to watch. It's one of those episodes that has really gone down in my estimation over the years. The only thing I like is the first few opening scenes with the countdown sequence leading up to Cat's "you're getting my underwear bill" line.

As you say, Chris Barrie is really poor at being Lister. My main problem with his performance is the way he always has to exaggerate Lister's mannerisms, for example the bit of a swagger he gives Lister when he's walking - something that the real Lister doesn't have. Charles is much better at being Rimmer. You're right about the dubbed voices sounding different too. They have a sort of slightly muffled quality to them. The difference is always striking.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Glad it's not just me.

I know very little about tv production, but what I don't understand is why they didn't get the two actors to perform / record the lines which were to be dubbed, on the actual sets where the scenes would take place. That way the voices would have had the same acoustics as the normal audio.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've always had the exact same thought. Though who knows? There might be logistical reasons why doing it that way wouldn't have been feasible.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Are there any tv show sound technicians in the house??

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I am aware that it is not too popular on this board but I absolutely adore Parallel Universe and see it as up there with all the other series 2 to 6 classics, in fact in my top 20 Red Dwarfs perhaps. I personally found it really funny with the opposite sex crew and a real upbeat feelgood finale with a party feel albeit with a sinister but hilarious twist ("Oh Listy..." is a classic!). Also this episode was a great way IMHO to mark an end of a Red Dwarf era. I wonder generally - including all RD fans, not just all of us on this board - how many of them rate this episode?

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Whil it's not one of my favourite episodes, I like Parallel Universe.

12. DrDebilotnik

DrDebilotnik Third Technician

At least, there's Tongue Tied in it! 8)

13. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Just looking back at my scoring on a rate-every-episode-thread we did a few years ago, I scored Parallel Universe = 8, the forum mean = 7.03.

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I don't mind PU at all. I, too, like the party and it has some great moments. In fact it features my favourite ever Rimmer put-down: "You're a sad weasel of a man, d'you that, Rimmer?"

15. DrDebilotnik

DrDebilotnik Third Technician

The Dibley family in season 8, with their dreadlock mops on their heads, so obvious but the guards do not even notice, kind of ... eeeh... no words...

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It was series 8. What did you expect?

17. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I can think of several words... "desperate" being one!

Series 8 contained quite rushed and lazy writing sadly!

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

And it was still better than X - nuff said.

And is that Peter Cushing in your avatar?

19. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I dunno, that basket match was worse than the vending machine romance!!!

Alas, no, it's William what's his face to Patrick what's his chops!

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

But that was when they were in the AR simulator, so it doesn't count.