Red Dwarf Epsiode Grievences

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Feb 1, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

I guess. Up until fairly recently it was kinda hard to obtain, without some affiliation with a klavern of course. I can't speak for everyone, but I think if I'd seen something like that, a totally unknown symbol that obviously "meant" something, I'd have at least TRIED to find out what it was. I mean, at the moment I'm trying to find out just which S.A.C. unit's patch Lister has on the jacket. Curiosity.

But, Devil's advocate here, it (K.K.K. patch) isn't THAT hard to identify. ESPECIALLY for a wardrobe/prop person. I mean after all, I would expect someone who's job it is to costume actors would be a ....... student, maybe is the word I'm looking for, of film costumes and its clearly visible in Blazing Saddles, Birth of a Nation, The Blues Brothers, Mississippi Burning, and even lol, Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

I'm NOT trying to slam anyone for this and wouldn't have mentioned it all but for the fact that the thinking these patches represent is abhorrent to me.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Here's a quirk that may or may not be significant: In S04E06 (Meltdown), one of the evil-wax-droids is a KKK person. Lister starts wearing the KKK patch in the next episode, S05E01 (Holoship). Maybe he took it from the wax-droid as a souvenier. Because in series IV, it looks like it's the same outfit but without the KKK patch. So maybe it was actually some very subtle continuity.

Edit: Except the droids were all melted in the manor before Lister had a chance. Possibly the KKK-droid's insignia patch was found somewhere separate, but Lister specifically says he wants to leave immediately. And actually I think the Series IV trousers are cotton.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what the patch was either.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

This is a really odd one and I can't put my finger on it, but the black and white segment at the start of Stasis Leak troubles me. It makes me feel almost nauseous for some unfathomable reason.

5. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

That's good to hear that there are others who rate Parallel Universe too and 7 overall as a mean score is not bad obviously. Series 2 was the first completely phenomenal series for me and this episode was a sensational end! As Rimmer's talk of his "chat up lines/worm do" are then used on him by his female opposite it makes it equal (and Rimmer realises how repulsive he is) and for me there is nothing sexist or offensive, just line after line of great comedy from Rob and Doug during their peak gestalt entity years!

6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I am satisfied with both endings and especially Timeslides myself. It is like a couple of the series 11 episodes an abrupt but dramatic way for it to end with literally a bang.

It is really comical for me because Rimmer has always wanted a real body and once again he is thwarted in an "Unlucky Alf" way.

I'm not sure that the other Dwarfers at the end of Timeslides are even aware of what has happened as one of them says: "What was he saying?" I think.

Also if Rimmer had not reverted to being a hologram again it would have changed the premise of the show though of course there was the nano-human Rimmer in series 8, though that that was because the original series 1-7 Rimmer had departed.

It's crazily funny and I really enjoy it.