Red Dwarf Eras

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Nov 12, 2017.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Er ok

3. Underdunn

Underdunn Catering Officer

I don't think the 'era rules' need shifting from what they were.

Classic Era 1-6
    Post Rob Era 7-8
    Dave Era BTE-12

Which is pretty much what you had, except you've complicated matters by whacking a Dave Era episode into the middle set for some reason!

FeeBee likes this.
  4. Underdunn

I think the first major change occurred when Rob left, I think the second major change occurred when it moved from BBC2. These would be the simplest way of defining eras to me.

But if it's just about your subjective opinion of episode quality then... well, then it's whatever you say it is really!

5. Underdunn

Goodness gracious!! Don't delete a thread because I disagree with your choices Chimp!! I can assure you my nerve remains untouched! I'm quite happy, honestly!

FeeBee likes this.
  6. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Underdunn is discussing the topic, Ant's just being a scamp.

Your opinion is valid and welcomed. Personally I think there are several ways to define the eras of the show.

You could have 2, BBC and Dave.

You could split it into

Grey era (Series I-II)
    Officers Quarters (Series III-V)
    Starbug (Series VI-VII)
    Resurrected (VIII)
    Return (BTE)
    Dave Series (X-XII)

Or anything you like, it's just a bit of fun.

FeeBee likes this.
  7. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I think we have to split 1/2 and 3-6 into separate eras. The only reasons to keep them together - while excluding the later BBC series - would be:

- Doug Naylor and Rob Grant wrote them together. By that logic, we might as well keep all of 7-12 together as the "Doug solo" era.

- A lot of us became Dwarf fans when 1/2 and 3-6 style Dwarf already existed, and then had to process 7 onwards as "new Dwarf" - often with mixed feelings. I think that tells us more about our personal experience of the show than the show itself. The difference between 1/2 and 3-6 is as jarring as any other change in the show's history and needs to be recognised.

I don't think "BBC" and "Dave" distinguish perfectly because 7/8 are atypical of the Beeb and BTE is atypical of Dave. Early/late BBC and early/late Dave would be quite neat, but I don't think an "era" can be three episodes long (early Dave). So, I group the series as follows:

Early classic
    . Series 1/2.

Classic. Series 3-6.

Experimental. 7, 8 and BTE. This is where the show "floundered" in terms of its identity, with big changes on a series-by-series basis.

Restoration. The revival of a more classic format, which has been sustained for three series now without major changes.

8. SweatyChimpBoy

@Underdunn it wasn't because you disagreed, I wanted a debate. What I didn't want was the attitude it generated from you. It clearly struck a nerve with you for whatever reason.

9. SweatyChimpBoy

Thanks Pembers but I feel there are certain members on here who make others feel as though they are wrong and shouldn't contribute.
    Members like yourself who are nice make it worth putting up with them.

10. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I am definitely one of the nice ones. Ask anyone. If they don’t agree let me know and I’ll effin twat em.

Abe likes this.
  11. Underdunn

I do think you might have read an attitude in my reply that wasn't intended Chimp. It's a fine topic! And you did invite us to 'challenge and crap on it' - though I really was only trying to do the former, I promise! Genuinely sorry if I upset you, certainly never meant to.

Abe likes this.
  12. SweatyChimpBoy

Thanks Underdunn I appreciate that very much.