Red Dwarf Fruit Machine

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by datadiffusion, Nov 9, 2016.

1. datadiffusion

datadiffusion Skutter

Hi everyone,

DJ Bez, here, I'm not a DJ and my name isn't Bez but I am a man with a mission.

A very silly, frivolous mission, but a mission nonetheless, which is why I've registered here.
    Now, obviously, I am definitely a RD fan otherwise my mission wouldn't be much fun or make any real sense!

Remember the Red Dwarf Fruit machine (a quick google will reveal quite literally one picture, on this site)
    from back in 2000? It would have been one of the very first machines from Red Gaming, part of Barcrest.

It was out at one of the conferences, it looks like, only to my amazement I can't find any decent pictures.

(As it happens I used to work for a different company, who I believe came up with the very first Red Dwarf fruit machine
    that didn't even make it past the approval of, I assume as this was a long while back, the BBC / Rob / Doug)

Well, it never even made it to 'test sites' as far as I can see, let alone launch, which is a shame.
    And since then Barcrest like so many were bought up several times, Red Gaming (owned by Barcrest) are no more
    and the Ashton-under-Lyme factory has closed its doors.

But, like the 64 million dollar man, we can rebuild (him?)

And this isn't some pointless quest, years back someone leaked the code and we have it running on a 'shell' of
    a Barcrest MPU5 fruit machine. You can even play a simulation with all the original sounds (search for MFME 5.0).
    One of the fruit machine enthusiasts on a site I'm a member of has put the code back onto actual chips and has
    the game running, and working, on an actual cabinet...

But what we really need is some decent pictures so we can recreate the artwork and the lamps. And then, we will
    have an actual, proper, Red Dwarf fruit machine! This isn't a technical problem, it's an artistic one, so if you
    have a few snaps of the machine, and they can't be any worse than the ones I've found, please get in touch!

2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

These machines clearly didn't take off

3. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I collect arcade machines and would love a Red Dwarf fruit machine if you manage to reproduce one (or find an official one out there).

4. Ant E

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I wish the link to the music still worked!

6. SmegPotinski

SmegPotinski Skutter

I'd be curious to hear that too. I couldn't find that archived on Wayback Machine.

7. Ant E

One of many faults on this site. :x

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Damn just realised thats a 16 year old article, was looking forward to the fruit machines.

9. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

"This site can't be reached"

Aw...

*sigh*

I was hoping to hear the sounds...

:-(

10. datadiffusion

datadiffusion Skutter

Nope - they did not even make it past test sites. It's likely no original machines exist; although if they did they would have kept it quiet at the time!

11. datadiffusion

datadiffusion Skutter

Well, it's a possibility - but without some better pics than 150 x 200 pixels, going to be hard. We do have the ROMs and sfx though, without those I wouldn't even be thinking about it! If you download MFME 5.0 you can actually play the machine, but without the proper graphics.

I had to kick myself the other day, I had full access to a closed down seaside arcade, could have taken anything I wanted, but had no van, I was just there for spares, and had to leave a Barcrest Genesis cabinet that would have been perfect, since it had the 'spinning wheel' device which, whilst not that rare, is hard enough to find. It would have been a great donor cabinet, but as per my agreement I had to smash up and break down anything into metal / wood / plastic that wasn't already sold (don't worry, there really wasn't anything worth having as a whole left, or I would have hired a van).

12. datadiffusion

datadiffusion Skutter

I have a personal interest in that I used to work for a tiny tinpot (long gone) fruit machine company that first suggested the idea of a RD machine, back in the early 90s. It only got as a far as one test machine; I believe BBC Worldwide wanted far too much money for licencing. It would have had a large (monochrome) blue backlit LCD screen with graphics, which was way ahead of it's time.