Red Dwarf gags you only just got

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by HO HO HO I'M JMC, Apr 9, 2017.

1. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

SPOILERS (highlight to read:-(

In Murder on the Orient Express - which I only got round to reading last year - they actually did all do it.

From Wikipedia: "all of the suspects are guilty."

I'd forgotten about the line in question until I scanned the script for Confidence and Paranoia just now. So, for many years, that gag was lost on me, and I only just got it.

Any others?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've always understood the Murder on the Orient Express reference. I've never read any of Agatha Christie's novels, but I remember watching many years ago (or half-watching anyway) the Seventies film adaptation that starred Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot. But one joke that took me a long, long time to understand was Rimmer's "Well, it's been a few years since I did that" line in The Last Day. After many years I finally decided to ask on the forum and had it explained to me. Am I the only one who didn't get that?

I still don't know what Mrs Bennet's "Mr Darcy didn't think Jane would enjoy French apples" line in Beyond a Joke means. It would seem that I'm missing something very obvious, but what that is I don't know.

3. HO HO HO I'M JMC

It's to show how tame their 18th Century diet is, and create a sense of comical doom. If they think French apples are quite daring... how will they react to vindaloo? We're meant to be amused by their naïveté, and expect fireworks when they all tuck in. But it builds to a twist ending.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Thanks for that explanation. I'd been wondering about that line for far too long.

5. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

It was only recently I got the 'Abide with me' gag in Terrorform.

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

There are a couple and when they come back to mind I'll let you all know!

7. HO HO HO I'M JMC

I just checked the script and didn't get it myself, at first. Then I remembered the Titanic, and did some googling to get to the bottom of it. So it feels less like a joke, now, and more like I had some homework or something? Still, mystery solved.