Red Dwarf in HD?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by spamenigma, Mar 8, 2009.

1. spamenigma

spamenigma Skutter

Greetings...

Even though I own all the vhs vids, (including the remastered ones), and all the DVD's...

I wondered if there was any plans on the release of red dwarf in High Def (Blu-Ray) format?
    Is it even possible to produce the episodes again in HD format with how Red Dwarf was originally filmed?

Thanks
    Paul

2. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

In theory, the model shots (which used 35mm, with the exception of series VII) could be redone in some form of HD but the rest of the episodes were shot on standard def video so there's no where near enough resolution to properly convert to HD.

I've always liked the idea of releasing stand def shows in Blu-Ray format, though, so the extra space can be put to use fitting as much stuff as humanly possibly on one disc so that'd be a nice thing to do at some point think.

Still, the new episodes are being shot on Red cameras (at a resolution four times what the best HD TV set can currently display) so I dare say there's some excellent scope for a fully HD Blu-Ray release at some point. Yummy.

3. spamenigma

spamenigma Skutter

At least some possabilities there, even if they just aim to squeeze the best quality they can get out of it. Would be nice to get a full series + extras + some more extras + erm.. some more extras on one disk.. with the best video/audio they can scrub up from the source material.

Here's hopping! ;-)

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

You're the same religion as Rimmer's parents then? How is the soup coming along?

Sorry...;-) Just couldn't resist, it being Sunday too.

5. spamenigma

spamenigma Skutter

you saw what I did there.... ;-)

6. Branagan1985

Branagan1985 Skutter

is there any news in regards to releasing a blue-ray version of the BTE specials ? I have seen the post regarding the DVD release in June.

Chris:-)

7. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONO!

*hyperventilates*

I asked that question too, after which Andrew told me that millions of other people had asked the same thing, and that there were no plans yet. In case you didn;t get that.

ISTHISANNOYINGBECAUSEIAMGETTINGOUTOFBREATH

*dies*

Sorry for this post. I wanted to waste 5 minutes :lol:

8. Branagan1985

Branagan1985 Skutter

apologies i didn't notice anyone else say this.

maybe they should add this to the dvd news item on the main page......

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's not generally our policy to report on news that isn't happening - just because that becomes a very long list. We are also not mounting Back to Earth for a cinema release, nor unveiling it as a direct-to-brain download...

10. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Shame, i want my brain-feed! Red Dwarf bte would be great in HD i don't have a blu ray drive but still...

11. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

it'l happen some day. I wouldn't expect someone to film a show using Red cams, HD picture four times better than what can currently be provided by market HDTV's, and to never release it on Blu Ray, well. That'd be the epitome of stupidity. It'l come about, might just be a year or so after the DVD release.

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Sure, why release it simultaniously when you can make everyone buy the DVD, then release the HD version again when everyone has players.

Selling the same thing to the same person more than once is a fine art GNP has mastered spectacularly, to their credit. I own many episodes of Red Dwarf several times over, it's silly. :P

13. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

we's likes a bit of double dipping don't we...

14. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

I'd pay up to £25 for Back To Earth in HD on blu-ray.

Well, assuming it's up to scratch. Also, Blu-ray = lots of room for extras. Smeg Ups ahoy!