Red Dwarf Interior

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Which is your favourite interior decor within Red Dwarf? I'm particularly fond of the Officers Quarters from Red Dwarf III to V.
    The Science Room and Ship interior became iconic for me.

If there is a Series XIII I hope Doug tries to bring back that Series III to V look. It's would be very nostalgic and a nice touch.

I'm also quite fond of the Starbug interior from Series VI. Mainly as it's one of my favourites series but also because it looks pretty amazing.

2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Yeah I like the nice cream coloured officers quarters from III-V, also Starbug cockpit from VI.

3. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I actually hope that Doug doesn’t bother redesigning the sets too much.

The less spent on that kind of thing, the more money there is for the production of each episode.

This is why we’ve seen an increase in production values for each episode across X-XII.

UltraDevotee and FeeBee like this.
  4. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

The quarters and sets from 3 to 5 were my favour it every. Although I quite like the corridors and science room from 11 and 12.

Asclepius and Pembers like this.
  5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Simple as they were, I most liked series I and II quarters, particularly II with some more personal touches. Beyond that, I wasn't keen on the brighter quarters from series III onwards, but I like where they've gone with X onwards.

I liked everything abut the interior of Starbug in series VI.

FeeBee likes this.
  6. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Say what you will about VII but. Always thought the star bug sets where really impressive (even though i hate the whole impossible space aspect to it)

FeeBee, Paul Taylor and Pembers like this.
  7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

The series 3-5 Mel Bibby sets are the most iconic also because they are from the peak years of the show but I do feel the current sets of series 11-12 have been really easy on the eye, well detailed and stunning looking in HD.

I also like the series 2 set because although it is the most ordinary in the entire RD cannon (apart from series 1) it is also very charming to look at too, especially with the personal details like another poster has commented.

I also really like the series 6 Starbug set and as that is arguably the most perfect series then I think that could have a case for "iconic" status too though it was only in that complete form for one year's run of RD.

The series 7 sets were fine enough while I personally feel the series 8 RD and tank sets were really good myself but perhaps not quite up there with the series 2-6 and series 11-12 sets - I liked the lighting of them and they suited the comedy prison look i.e. not excessively grimy.

The only set design I haven't really liked was the ones for BtE as I just didn't think they looked Dwarfy enough, though saying that the 2009 mini-series bunk room look inspired the series 10 one a bit...

FeeBee likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

I love Mel Bibby's sets from III - V, especially officer's quarters and science room, but also the stock set from Polymorph and Timeslides.

I like the series I - II sets. They aren't much visualy pretty, but they are realistic in my opinion. I mean, if humans would build mining spaceship, it would like like that.

And last, but not least, series XI - XII corridors and diesel deck. I love the LED lights using in corridors.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I like series 2 the best, which is sort of how I imagined a space ship would be like - rather clinical and drab but clear and clean. When I first saw series 3 I hated the set design, as it looked so alien to the first two series. Just that alone almost made me stop watching it for some of the magic seemed to have been replaced with fuzzy colours and strange 90's styling. Red Dwarf to me will always be that simple bunk room with holly on screen and the three guys arguing with each other.

FeeBee likes this.
  10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'll always love the I/II and III-V sets for nostalgic reasons, but I actually much prefer the current ones. They look stunning, particularly the way they're lit (loving all the electric blues and oranges they've used in XI/XII, it looks so pretty when watching in a dark room!). Also, the red of the sleeping quarters makes a really nice contrast with the more clinical look of the science room - I think that's a great set btw, a massive improvement on the drive room in X.

I wish they'd kept Lister's settee from X though - I used to want one just like that for my (nonexistent) games room.

FeeBee and Pembers like this.