Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

So, I came across the facebook group for this new Red Dwarf Introcast the other day. For those not familiar with Introcasts, the basic concept is to take two established fans of a particular show, and add two people who have never seen the show before. The four of them then analyse each episode after they've watched them.

In this case the two "newbies" are American couple Heath and Angela. And the fans are an English chap called Shane and a Scottish lady called Sarah. Heath is a sci-fan and they are both fans of such British sitcoms as Black Adder, so Red Dwarf seems the perfect "new" series for them to try out.

I'm not going to claim that this is the best RD podcast I've ever heard (although at this point I've only listened to the first two episodes). Shane's Red Dwarf knowledge seems a little...wobbly every now and then, so any newbies listening to this should take what he says with a pinch of salt. But I love the concept, and I'm warming to Heath especially, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

Over all it makes for very interesting listening. It"s especially interesting to hear the initial perceptions and reactions of two adults new to the show. Angela's initial reaction to Cat is especially * interesting, but understandable I think.
    It will also be intersting to see how Heath deals with Red Dwarfs tendacy to ignore continuity and some of the dodgy science. Hopefully he won't be too put off by that.

*I wonder how many times I can use the word "interesting" in one post?
    ;-)*

You can catch the episodes here: http://www.thereddwarfintrocast.podbean.com

*Disclaimer: being that this is the official site, I should probably point out that this podcast is not endorsed by Grant Naylor and therefore is unofficial. But it contains no bad language and is all positive stuff, so I figured it kind of acts as a nice little piece of free advertising for the show. The timing couldn't be better either :-)

Also, this is not connected to G&T either. It would seem the introcast peeps hadn't known of that site before, but have now politely changed their name and site address to Introcast and podcast out of respect to G&T.

EDIT: Urgh, sorry about the bad link, folks. I'm having trouble sorting it out from my phone :-(

EDIT: if this link to the facebook group works, then you should be able to access the site via their links:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1720312927247/

Third edit: Oh I give up...sorry peeps. Sorry, sorry, bye..

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Interesting this, interesting that. I think you need a thesaurus, Vamp.

I'll give this a listen later. It sounds like a fascinating concept, especially as the two newbies are non-Brits.

This link should work.

3. Freeborn

Thanks for posting a working link, Bluey :-)

Indeed the fact that the two newbies are non-Brits certainly does add an extra..."Interesting" element to it..;-) Already there have been a few cultural references that caused an initial slight confusion.

I've just finished listening to episode three, and I must say that each episode so far has been more enjoyable than the last. The first episode is okay, but it wasn't until I gave it a seconed chance by listening to episode two on the bus yesterday, that I felt happy to invest more time in this podcast. I'm sold :-)

Oh and I'm still very much liking Heath, I like the way his mind works, he's an...interesting character :-)

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I listened to half of the first one, but it's already irritating me. This is a good idea, but I wish the four participants were more insightful and discussed important things instead of trivial matters like Zero G football.

And rule number one for this kind of thing should be: when discussing Red Dwarf, don't keep waffling on about other sci-fi films and shows.

5. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Pleasantly surprised to see this thread! I know Shane from before he started the podcast & if you listen to the feedback section you'll hear my thoughts on the show :-) I do like that the guys are much less intense - by reading this board I get the sense that RD continuity & Sci-Fi doesn't hold up to scrutiny and it greatly annoys people here - having watched each episode many times, I haven't noticed anything, what matters to me is the strength of the jokes/characters and the core concept, as long as i'm not slapped in the face with something incredibly wrong. Maybe it's because I don't watch other Sci-Fi shows, I'm much more forgiving of RD...but it's a sitcom so I treat it as that.

In any case the banter is light, positive and conversational between friends and the shows are a good length. I do find Heath & Angela's observations/prognostications to be the most interesting part of the show, where they think it's heading and what new things we found out. Big fan of the show :-)

Could you tell me specifically what Shane says that you find 'wobbly'? Just wondering as it all sounds completely in-line with the DVD commentaries and interviews etc.

Here's a working link if you need it!
    The Red Dwarf Introcast : http://www.facebook.com/groups/172039312927247/

6. Freeborn

The first mistake I noticed was in the first episode when Shane refered to the original producer of Red Dwarf as "Peter Jackson". Other than that there were a few slight mistakes which felt like he had misremembered certain things stated in the docus, while other times it felt like he had perhaps assumed certain things about the actors and other elements of the show. I would usually make specific notes about these things but I've been listening to this podcast when out and about (bike rides, on buses, etc) but, yeah, I don't mean to have a go at anyone, they all come across as nice folk really.

I've now listened to all five episodes and am thoroughly enjoying this now. It's a shame about Sarah's technical issues though.

I can see what Bluey is saying regarding the discussion of such things as Zero G Football, although to be fair the two newbies do get a lot more insiteful than that as we get further into the show. Also, I think they are just trying to gage the kind of world Rimmer and Lister come from, and Zero G Football is/could be an early indicator of that. Remember all these things are new concepts to them at this point, and they don't know how much relivance certain things have yet either.

I do enjoy their perceptive thoughts about where the show may be heading. I was pretty impressed that Heath managed to pretty much work out the plot for Waiting for God, based on the title alone. And then there are some of the things they get wrong, but to be honest some of their interesting ideas are as good (if not better) than what happened in the episodes themselves, lol.

Oh, and they're both Buffy fans, so they're all good in my book..:-D I'm looking forward to the next instalment :-)

7. jaykhunter

Lol, fair enough! Haven't noticed myself but I wouldn't be the most intense fact-knower but good ear! I agree. I think what's interesting is that you're hearing things only people who've no background of RD can provide. It's a clean slate, like I couldn't put forward some of the things they say because I can't unlearn what I've learned of that makes sense. Considering minutiae makes for a different and subjective conversation which is great. They don't know that the aspect isn't particularly important but that's what makes going along the journey with them interesting! Their opinions form over time :-)

Hopefully we get the S1 review/Ep 6 soon enough.

8. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Just caught up with this.

As someone who is in radio and has his own podcast, (F1 fans, anyone?...No? Oh well) I find this interesting, even though I have to kind of turn off everything I've learnt about doing a podcast and just treat it as a recorded conversation between friends to really enjoy it.

It's interesting that the two non-fans are the more interesting pairing to listen to, (though I could do with slightly less of the "Cat killed his own race and is a tyrant" stuff, but then I'm about to listen to Waiting for God so finally finding out the backstory of the Cat should end all that I hope) The Two fans are probably at a disadvantage because their main role is to just confirm facts and continuity, etc so have less original things to say.

Thought it was awkward one of them labelled the Cat racist though, especially coming from knowing that it was something Rob and Doug worried about too and checked with everyone they knew (though of course they wouldn't know that)
    The way I'd look at it though is he's played by a black guy and there's another mixed race guy as the lead character, if either of them thought it racist then they wouldn't perform it. It's not the place of 4 white people to sit around decided what is racist to black people, especially if those black people involved have declared it not to be racist.

Anyway...

It's a good listen, though I'm sensing the girl non-fan isn't enjoying it as much as she thought she would.
    There's probably no need for them to list quotes or anything because that is stuff we've heard before and sucks time out of the episode discussion.
    Overall its a great way to spend a train journey listening to new members joining our flock.
    Hopefully when they're done they'll be on here arguing over Kryten's make up and CGI Vs Models with the rest of us!

P.s. I have skype and a broadcast quality microphone so if anyone wants to set up a rival podcast (and wants to erase their memories of the series beforehand, obviously!) let me know :twisted:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

They could offer more insightful comments about the storyline/characterization/sci-fi elements though, especially as they've presumably seen the episodes multiple times and know them inside out. That's what I'd do if it were me.

I don't know how anybody could watch a full episode of Red Dwarf and come to the conclusion that the show has a racist element to it.

Looks as though bailing out halfway through the first episode was a sensible decision on my part.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

This is easier said than done. We considered ourselves to be fairly knowledgeable when we started our podcast...and then we got nothing but criticism (deserved criticism) after our first episode went up. It wasn't until we hit the second series that we got a shared Google document going. This offered a bullet pointed structure to the episode reviews which included all the little useful bits of research in the relevant place. Although, I'm not sure this could work on an "introcast" podcast where the idea is for two of the hosts to tell the other two what they thought....

We debate often about whether we should redo the first series, but at the end of the day, they are what they are.

The introcast isn't perfect at all, but should quickly improve. The last couple already have an improved method of recording the audio. There are faults which i'm sure they are only too aware of. The thing is, even with these faults, I enjoy it anyway. There's something about hearing people talking about Red Dwarf that just speeds up my working day clock :-)

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I haven't listened to this podcast and don't know when I will be able to but I'd guess that maybe they entered the show with a preconcieved notion of old British sitcoms and the sort of stereotyping they often employed. It seems fairly obvious to me that DJJ is acting like a cat...sure there is an element of James Brown in there but is a black man adopting the mannerisms of a famous black man supposed to be somehow racist? Maybe it's something else they are getting at. Can anyone elaborate as to what their point was for those of us who aren't able to listen to the podcast? I'd be interested to know.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well, no need to listen now as we know the 'new' viewers loved it. . .:-(

13. jaykhunter

I imagine it's supposed to be constructive but "say more intelligent things" is a really mean comment. I think the show works far better as an introduction to Red Dwarf; a non-intense, conversational chat between new & old fans; sharing what they enjoyed about it. For me, the charm & ultimately entertainment would be irreparably lost if they were to concentrate on listing out researched information & and who sounds the smartest. Shane already 'butts-in' with facts and doing more so would stilt the conversation. The Scuttercast is a highly informative almost encyclopedic podcast, and this is not that. What's the point in coming from the same angle & format as others have already done?

14. Freeborn

If you didn't like the limited portion of the podcast you heard with your own ears, then fair enough. But it's not advisable to judge them on what others may percieve or assume.

In the first episode (or was it the second?) Angela does indeed admit that one of her initial thoughts about the Cat character (uppon his introduction in episode one) was whether it might be concidered a bit racist or not. It's not really for me to say but I can only assume she was refering to an initial conccern of possible racial stereotyping. Which I think is quite understandable really. But she didn't "Label the chacacter racist".

Even producer Paul Jackson had the exact same concern, which is why he asked Craig if he thought the character was racist or not...not that either Craig or Danny speak on behalf of ALL people who happen to have a similar skin tone to them, but non the less I can completely understand why Mr.Jackson had such initial concerns.

I myself have never seen the character as racially sterotyping, but I have met some who do, or did initially at least. And yes, some of those people were black, and some were white. But once again they do not speak on behalf of all black or white people. Much like I do not speak for all white folks because I happen to have light skin. Nor do white people who take offencew to Weird Al's satrical track "white and nerdy" speak for me. I personally find it very funny...not that this can be completely compared to the Cat charactor, but I hope you get my point.

Nor do I speak for all people of a multi-heritage just because I happen to have family members of multi-heritage. Nor do I speak for all Brits, etc. It's about personal perception to a certain degree.

I have black friends who dislike the way so many so-called "gangsta rappers" use the N-word and wave their arms around in that funny hippity-hoppity way. Or how some of them (white and black) dress in a style that, to a certain degree evolved from prison gang culture. Or how Spike Lee often appears (to some, not all) to perpetuate negative racial stereotypes. Wheras others do not see that, as they are looking at it from a completely different angle. So, who is "right"? And does that make other's wrong? Or does this complex web need to be gradually overcome together, by furthering our undertandings, and the understandings of others?

Right or Wrong, racism and sterotyping is unfortunately still very much a complex amd sensitive issue, and will be for some time to come. There is no denying the terrible history of negative racial stereotyping (although I do think things have got better in certain ways, there is still a lot of racial stereotyping perpetuated by the media - and hence much of the herding public today). And no repetitive, massively subjective and overly simplified terms such as "oh he's just being a politically correct do-gooder" is going to change that. Education across the board, empathy and inteligently bridging differences is the only logical way forward.

What I'm getting at is that while the Cat character ia clearly not based on racial stereotyping (to me at least), I don't find it surprising, or even a negative thing for a newbie to question whether this character may be based on a certain sterotype or not. Although I think for most it becomes fairly apparant early on that there is no stereotyping intended in this case. In fact I think many would've claimed the character to be racist were a white actor cast in the roll...make of that what you will. It's certainly not a discussion I personally find uncomfortable though. But hey, that just me :-)

Anyway, all thay aside, essentially, Scientifically/biologically speaking, we are all one race anyway. The major reasons for our physical and behavioural differences are mostly to do with the environmental, evolutionary and cultural factors. And the latter is learned for the most part, not to do with genetics. Genes do not dictate cultural values. The sooner children in all areas are taught these basic facts, the better.

Anyway, sorry about the slight tangent there. Hadn't intended t go that far into it..:/

15. Freeborn

Oops, I just remembered that I forgot to remember to reply to this.

By "all positive stuff" I didn't mean that they love it per say..percy? Just that the over all feel of the podcast if of a positive nature. But don't worry, there is also some initial critisism. Some of which I can relate to, some...not so much. But hey, we all have different view points so it's all good in my eyes.

D'ya know what I would like to hear? A podcast by yourself about Back To Earth. Now that could be quite entertaining..to me at least..;-) ...perhaps you could talk Norman Lovett into being a special guest :lol: - I do love that moany dude...seriously :-)

PS: sorry for any typos that I haven't corrected. On this phone it's a bit of a pain scrolling back up in the typey box thing.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nobody said "say more intelligent things" in this thread.

17. codename_47

*facepalm* This forum...sometimes...

I'm enjoying the podcast, I think when they get past series 1 (the worst of Dwarf, at least for me) and into episodes where Rimmer isn't just a complete gwenlyn for no reason.

It'll be interesting to see their reaction to the mellowing of Rimmer's character too, they already, strangely, have a soft spot for him without all that!

As I say, I wonder without the introcast keeping them going if they might've given up on the series by now.....
    especially the girl.

18. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

[quote="codename_47 I think when they get past series 1 (the worst of Dwarf, at least for me) [/quote]

The worst....? Don't speak to me! :P

19. codename_47

Yeah the worst....Rimmer's a dick instead of a loveable loser, the series feels claustrophobic, the Cat is one note, Holly is underused and the whole thing took a massive step up a gear for series 2 that set it in the right direction before the series 3 reboot got the fires started properly.

Series 1 has flashes of brilliance but it's largely just finding its feet.

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Flashes or brilliance is more then what series 8 ever had, sure series 1 had issues with finding it's feet but at the same time series 8 was like the show having it's feet hacked off with a bone saw.