Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

At the moment I'm nearly done with Series 2 (Bit of a delay burning them to disk so I could listen to them in the car), so once I'm finished that I'll probably jump ahead to BtE so that I'm reasonably current then pick it up from Series 3 onwards again. Overall, I am definitely enjoying these at the moment, it's very interesting to get the perspectives of people watching for the very first time. They have a nice, easy going conversational style.

I do wish they didn't keep going off on utterly irrelevant tangents though, Heath seems to be particularly bad in this regard (he should also lay off the impressions and singing IMO) with by my reckoning about half of the airtime of one of the podcasts derailed onto other completely unrelated subjects including taking nearly ten minutes before they actually got onto the talking about Red Dwarf (On that matter I noticed that the latest one has Nutty as a guest presenter again which I'm not overly looking forward to as I didn't particularly enjoy her contribution in Series 2).

By the time they've got onto Series 2, things do seem to be flowing a lot better, I was surprised at one point to hear that they were working with notes because there seemed to be quite a few uncomfortable silences where they just didn't seem to know what to say or what subject to move onto. In the first series podcasts there often seemed to be little structure and I do find it frustrating as they are working with notes just how many of the quotes they fluff up.

Heath in particular seems to be drawn to really very minor points (Like Zero G Football, I always just took it that this was Soccer with a science-fiction twist and that was all I really needed or wanted to know about it personally). I can't help feeling sometimes that Heath and Angela take things a bit too seriously though, for example I didn't find Waiting For God anywhere near as heavy handed as they seem to have and they seem almost obsessed with Cat being a somehow racist character or portrayal. Probably mainly down to cultural differences there.

Paul seems to have picked up well, his first appearance was quite awkward I thought, especially when Heath tried to get him to introduce himself and all he said was more or less, "I'm Paul". But he seems to be a lot more part of the group at this point and sounds more comfortable participating than he first did.

Just my thoughts so far.

Edit; I'm getting the impression that I can probably cut down the time spent per episode by skipping much of the quotes, ratings and feedback sections as by this point they've already given their opinions of the episodes, even without notes I know most of the quotes better than they seem to and I'm not really that bothered about the emails/messages from other people. With all that in mind, will I be missing much going forwards if I do skip past these parts?

2. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Oh get you ;-)

I'd probably say watch their Introcast for Backwards. Then you can skip to BtE ;-)

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Not really. To be honest I've recently found myself skipping the latter section, depending on how I'm feeling on the day and how much spare time I have, but certainly in most cases you wont be missing much by skipping those parts.

Ideally (for me at least) I feel it best to have the feeback section before the quotes and the ratings. As I'm much more interested in the feedback than the ratings and the quotes - I mean, lets face it most of us here have heard said quotes over and over again, so having the option to end the podcasts early makes sense to me.

As for the off-topic-ness...regradless of whether we like it or not (I don't mind it myself) I don't think that will be changing any time soon.

They're certainly aware of it though, and Heath sure has a good sense of humour about it and is not above posting a bit of self-satire. :-)

On the official Introcast facebook page..

click for the image Heath created (apparently it's too big to embed on the forum)

:lol:

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't know why they don't just edit most of the off-topic stuff out before putting it online. It would surely be simple enough for them to do.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

From what I've listened to so far I think they'd just lose too much material.

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I just put my player on 1.5x or 2x to get through any off-topic stuff. Works ok for me I don't think that editing out will make much improvement as weird as that sounds.

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I listened to that one last night, before I'd read the posts on here (didn't want to spoiler the introcasts for myself ??), I was surprised how much they disliked Backwards, Angela in particular gets almost quite whiny sounding about the changes. I can understand some of their reasoning, the first Red Dwarf I watched was the last half of Marooned, so until they were released in about 1993 I hadn't seen Ross's Kryten or Lovett's Holly. Still, whilst I don't think I'd ever rate it as the best, I don't think I'd ever look at is as badly as they seem to have.

I'm up to Bodyswap at the moment, haven't downloaded BtE yet but will probably do so later on today.

One thing I have noticed though is that Angela in particular seems to be very quick to pick up on perceived racism, for the most part I think she's looking for something that just isn't there and is being seriously over sensitive in this.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think there would still be enough for a 40 minute programme, which I think would be a better length as I always thought that 60+ minutes was a bit excessive for discussing a single Red Dwarf episode.

9. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

10. cirenshane

cirenshane Third Technician

you been watching us i did wonder who hacked my webcam :P:P:P:P

11. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Honestly, if Heath and Angela had LIKED Backwards no-one would probably have heard of this show :-p

"The Red Dwarf introcast: Hating the episodes YOU love. Also loving the episodes you Hate. And Some you love too. LISTEN TO US!" :twisted:

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I don't know what you mean sir.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's a new Introcast up about Shaun of the Dead, which I've never seen, so I don't know if I can be bothered listening to this one.

14. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I've not bothered either. Not huge fan of Shaun Of The Dead

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Well to be fair, at the point I originally commented I think I was just starting Series 3 and multiple digressions each more than a few minutes per episode were not uncommon, after that they do seem to have reigned it in somewhat (I've just finished Series 4 so I don't know if they relapse again). By the time you take out 10-15 minutes off topic discussion, about the same for feedback and the same again for quotes, you wouldn't really have a lot of actual content left out of a podcast originally 60-70 minutes in length.

On the subject of Quotes, I know it's a bit late for me to really offer anything constructive at this stage, but I really don't think the show as a whole benefits from having a separate quotes section, I'd rather have had the hosts just mention whatever they thought were particularly memorable or funny quotes at the appropriate point in the main body of the podcast, I think it would have flowed better that way.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I've finally caught up now and noticed the introcast for Trojan is up. Since I've got an overtime shift tonight, I'll probably listen to this one on the way to or from work later. Interesting to see that Seb's on this one too.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

At last. I've been curious for ages as to what they'll make of series X. I think they're going to like it.

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Our humble online home gets a mention :P

19. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The next episode of the podcast (Fathers and Suns) is up. I've already listened to it but I'll wait for others to listen first before commenting on it.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I listened to it earlier. I thought Heath and Angela would love the 'Lister talking to his dad' scene, but they didn't seem to say much about it.