Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I can't see how any series that contains Future Echoes, Balance of Power, the Quagaars half of Waiting For God, Confidence & Paranoia and Me2 could ever be described as merely "finding its feet". Series I is fantastic.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Correct, it set the template for the characters & the sci-fi concepts it would treat in a fun comedic way.

3. cirenshane

cirenshane Third Technician

just want to say hello its Shane from the podcast here.:-D

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Hello there, Shane. Welcome to the forum :-) Albeit a belated welcome, threads tend to move down the list pretty quickly sometimes.

I'm actually about to listen to latest podcast right now. I enjoyed the last one, but is there any chance the new chap could...well, kinda' stop shouting into his microphone - or at least alter the volume level? The rest of you sounded on the same level, but almost every time Paul spoke I began to get ear ache :lol:

5. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Normalising.... ;-)

I'd be interested, Shane, in knowing how you record that many people in Skype.
    (Or maybe that's the issue, the new guy is recording his mic direct on one channel and the rest are all coming through skype on another...don't know yet haven't got to that ep )

6. cirenshane

cirenshane Third Technician

We record using Audacity each of us recording just our own voices and Heath mixes them together in post. The problem we have is unlike Heath Angela and myself who use headsets he is using his webcam microphone. iam hoping he will be getting a headset soon

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

That surprises me. It sounds like it's been recorded on Skype like ours. As for Paul's volume...his was just right for me. I work in a loud environment and, when it comes to podcasts, the louder the better :-)

That said, Introcast gets bumped to fist of the day on the playlist and so the first half hour is listened to in the car without all the background noise.

8. codename_47

Yeah that's interesting, there ARE programs out there that can record Skype conversations for you (I assume they're free but you never know with these things...) so maybe that'd cut down on Heath's labour.
    Hopefully when everyone has headsets it'll cut out the annoying echo I can hear sometimes. (Though ironically enough in one episode the echo was coming through with things slightly before the person who spoke. Yes, that's right, a future echo!)

I'm also a bit confused about what the term "host" means. Paul is announced as the new regular host but in reality Heath does all the intro/outro/linking and other hosting duties so I'm at a loss with that one.

That said it is still a good listen, starting to realise maybe saying this stuff on the Facebook is going to be better for the podcast as the more interaction it has, the better imo.

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

In fairness, everyone recording their own audio should provide a better sound quality than using Skype recorders. But the audio will only ever be as good as the microphone that is used. I personally don't have a real issue with podcasts. I appreciate a crisp true sound, but provided I can hear what is being said, i'm alright.

We've always recorded on Skype, but I have used a variety of mic's for the podcast. My first (and maybe second) episode was using a Playstation Singstar mic. After that I got a cheap headset from Tesco which was hardly an improvement. At some point after that (can't remember when...), I had a slightly better Samsung USB headset. But when I've recorded lines for an audiodrama I sometimes voice for using this, I've noticed a terrible background hum from my mic. It cleans up okay, but it must effect the quality of the voice somewhat. I have recently gone all out and bought a 'proper' high quality USB mic. It sounds a bit better i think when recording on Skype. But it sounds damn near perfect when recording straight to Audacity. No need to clean up any background noise...

Trouble is, since I forked out for that, I've hardly done any recording :-)

10. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

They have an excellent episode with guest Nutty Nuchtas. Better Than Life review I believe

11. Freeborn

Yes, I enjoyed that one. I keep meaning to send them some feedback but then end up getting side tracked. I'm liking the concept of having special guests. This podcast seems to be getting better with each episode now :-)

I'm looking forward to hearing their initial reactions to some of changes in series 3.

12. Freeborn

I''m not sure how many of you have been keeping up with this but I just thought the new episode was worthy of a mention. I listened to the 'Backwards' episode whilst working today and, well...Wow! Just...Wow!..they hated it! :shock:

Angela, whilst laughing a bit after her little rant, genuinely seemed quite upset, angry and frustrated at how much the show had changed. For those who haven't been keeping track of this podcast it had taken her a few episodes of series 1 to fully appreciate the show, but she loved series 2. She now feels that all the good work in character development in series 2, and Lister/Rimmer bunk room banter scenes had been thrown away for cheap visual gags and a poor story. And perhaps most interestingly of all, she felt that backwards, including the new opening titles montage gave the show a "tacky American sitcom" feel.

Heath wasn't keen either. He's really disappointed about Norman leaving, as after Rimmer, Holly was his favourite character. And they both really dislike "the new" Kryten (they loved the original Kryten and had been hoping he would return throughout their viewing of series 2).

They did however seem to like Cat more in this episode. But other than the opening Lister/Cat bunk scene and one or two other gags they really seemed to hate Backwards with a passion. Quite a shocking reaction all around really.

However, all this causes me to wonder how my adult self would've reacted to such radical changes. I mean, the first episode I ever saw was Queeg (upon it's initial airing), which I loved, but then I loved the whole of series 3 too, instantly. It probably took me all of 10 minutes to get used to the main changes. But I think that as kids we tend to be generally more accepting of change than we can often become as adults. This is one reason I'm enjoying listening to this podcast, it offers a different perspective, an alternative experience, as I don't know many people who watched the show right from the start. It seems that a lot of hardened fans started around series 3/4.

Anyway, hopefully Marooned will work it's magic and bring them both back around to appreciating the show again. Coincidently however, Marooned is the least favourite episode of my American friend who is currently also watching the show for the first time. Which surprised me considering she loved all the Lister/Rimmer dialogue stuff in series 1 and 2. It'll be interesting to see how Heath and Angela react to the rest of series 3 that's for sure.

Additional: And for crying out loud I still wish Paul (from the podcast) would lower the sound levels of his distorted smegging microphone (or sit a bit further back from his computer) AND STOP SHOUTING INTO IT! Smegger almost gave me a headache today.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I suppose it's an understandable reaction considering they were used to the earlier series' style. Coincidentally, Backwards was the first episode I ever watched, and I often wonder how I would have reacted had I been watching from episode 1. In some ways, I'm glad I wasn't since I don't think I'd have taken the changes well.

Perhaps they'll like Marooned more since it's basically a 30 minute bunk room scene.

Have you tried emailing them about this?

14. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I started with Backwards too and also consider their reaction fully understandable. Robert took a while to fully nail his Kryten performance and Holly was never as funny again. From Series III the show did lose it`s feeling of isolation as well.

I had the same situation in reverse as when I went back to watch Series II for the first time I was bitterly disappointed to see the `terrible` sets and Kryten`s first mask. Now though I can see how great the writing for Series II was and it ranks as one of my favourite series.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've mentioned this before, but since Marooned was mentioned above as a possible hook:

The End was the first episode I saw, and I really didn't like it then, although I quite like it now. I I didn't follow the rest of Red Dwarf for a while after that. (My reaction would probably be different if I had seen it as an adult. Even if I disliked it I probably would have continued with it for a couple more episodes at least to see if I liked it.)

Marooned was the second episode I saw. I came across it by accident flipping channels (I actually missed the start on first viewing) and it changed my mind. While it probably isn't my favourite episode of Red Dwarf, it's up there, (from a pure comedy POV it's WAY up there) and it reeled me back in at least in sparking my interest, although it was a while before I watched Red Dwarf regularly. (Weirdly I think that was series 6.)

I can sort of see why Backwards might turn someone off if they've got used to series 2 though. I don't think it would have affected me that way as I've always been fond of the more sci-fi bent of Series 3 onwards. While the bunk scenes in 1 and 2 were good, and there are certainly cracking episodes for me, series 3 is when it really picked up.

Oh, and I much prefer Robert Llewellyn's Kryten. Then again, he was my first Kryten. The Episode Kryten, in series 2, is a pretty good 'un though.

16. codename_47

Backwards is definitely a "new readers start here" episode as Rob and Doug went questing for new viewers and didn't really do much for the pre-existing fans bar an unreadable text crawl...

I AM amazed they hated it that much though, but I surmised on their Facebook that the lack of characterisation combined with the "gimmick" of the backwards set pieces seeming overdone in 2012 compared with being amazingly original in 1989 is what did for them.

They definitely are treating this show as Sci-Fi first and comedy second, which is the wrong way round imo but as the show keeps going forward I hope the more sci-fi elements that come into the series will satisfy them.
    (Though the comparative lack of Lister/Rimmer scenes will probably annoy Angela...)

It's a shame really because as I said before, I view series 1-2 as the show testing a lot of stuff and finding its feet before really kicking into high gear for 3-6 so to hear such a hugely negative reaction was a shock.

And not wanting to decry anything but this thread is good and all, but if you really want to start a discussion AND have them explain themselves then its best to add their facebook page (searching "Red Dwarf Introcast" will do it ), interaction is getting pretty nice on there now, or at least the dozens of FB notifications I get from there a day is anyway :-p

17. jaykhunter

I'd say the best way would be to leave feedback on their episode thread and have them answer questions during the podcast. Also it's worth mentioning they have an amazing guest panel member for the next episode :-)

18. jaykhunter

The latest introcast is up, I appear as a guest on the show!
    http://thereddwarfpodcast.podbean.com/2012/10/26/season-3-episode-2-marooned/

19. Freeborn

I actually thought I had done a while back, but I've just checked and it's not showing up in my sent messages. I did wonder why my email hadn't been out in the feedback portion of the show...and now I know why...D'oh! :roll:

I've been meaning to comment on their facebook page for some time now too, as it's been a while since I did that, but I keep geting side tracked for one reason or another.

Excellent. I'll give this a listen tomorrow. I'm hoping they enjoyed Marooned more than they did Backwards.

The more I think about it, the more I find their reaction to that episode understandable. It didn't affect me that way as a kid but for an adult I suppose it could be quite jarring at first. I would personally say that even though it's an episode I still enjoy a lot, most of series 1 and 2 is a heck of a lot better than Backwards, on multiple levels. Better stories, better characterisation, better...just better. It's still a favourite episode for me personally though. As are Marooned and Polymorph :-)

20. Freeborn

Is any one here still listening to this? I've listened to every episode and am loving it now more than ever. I like that they have different guest on every week too, it helps keep things fresh.

For those who don't know they're currently halfway through series 7. Heath and Angela are loving it. They both like Kochanski and seem happy with the direction the series is taking. Which makes such a nice change to the usual moaning we tend to hear from certain sections of Red Dwarf fandom.

The last ep they reviewed was 'Duct Soup'. They liked it a lot (Although they're not overly keen on Whiny Kryten). Rosie, (the guest for this ep) did not...to say the least. She's not a fan of Kochanski. But again at least the views are nice and diverse. Thankfully Heath and Angela aren't buying into the generic group-think in regards to hating the series because it's different (as opposed to bad).