Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've been whizzing through these, and I'm now listening to the Confidence & Paranoia one. These reviews are a bit better than I originally thought, but some elements still annoy me. There's too much going off on 'amusing' tangents that might be entertaining to the participants but not to someone who just wants them to talk about the episode they've just watched.

2. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Does anyone have the iTunes link to this? I've tried looking but can't seem to find it :?

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Here you go :-)

I'm not sure why the iTunes link isn't working on their site but I found this via DuckDuckGo (search engine)

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've listened now to the whole of series 1 of this. It's holding my interest, but there's still too much going off on tangents, which I mentioned above.

Nice to see that they've also reviewed the American version as I always like hearing people's reactions to that.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Listening to the Better Than Life podcast now, and they're having a deep discussion about Sesame Street.

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

This is starting to put me off now as going off on weird tangents really puts me off such discussions! :?

7. Freeborn

Perhaps there's a certain level of acquired taste with these podcasts. Although bare in mind that quite a few people who weren't so keen on the earlier episodes are now quite into it.

There's no denying that they do indeed go off on slightly unrelated tangents from time to time, but I'd say there's more often than not at least some kind of connection, such as comparing certain elements of RD to elements of Firefly, or discussing sci-fi law in general for a minute or two. The Sesame street tangent was a rarity in comparison really.

Best thing to do is give it a try and decide for yourself. They're all free to download. :-)

Edit: Just noticed I'd missed out the word "taste".

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm still sticking with it, and I'm now up to Bodyswap. Despite the tangents, it's mostly entertaining. The two Americans are great, but (and I hope this doesn't come across as a bit cruel) why are the two Englishmen so annoyingly inarticulate? They're constantly stumbling over their words and taking about three times as long as they should to enunciate a simple sentence. It's very frustrating to listen to.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'll download all the available episodes from iTunes when I get home from work and start listening to them over the weekend and during my lunch breaks at work.

10. Freeborn

I'd say Paul gets better with time. Perhaps it's a confidence thing in his case. And...I say this with caution as I could be wrong, but I think Shane may have somewhat of a very mild and occasional stutter, hence the pauses and whatnot. I like him though and for the most part think he comes across pretty well. I'd say he's got more confident over time too.

Anyway, I'm just taking a mid-way break from listening to the (non-commentary) episode podcast for 'Back In The Red Part 1'. The reoccurring special guest for this one is Rosie. She's certainly an interesting character. She's the type of fan who tends to be rather critical types towards series 7 and 8. I must admit I don't always relate to her views all that much in that respect, although I'm sure many do.

Then again I do agree with some of the things she says, and she seems nice enough...when she's not getting all (seemingly) frustrated at people not agreeing with her (mostly in regardes to Kotchanski or various other series 7/8 related issues). She and Paul sometimes seem to have a few issues with one another...But she's very well spoken and has complimented me on the fb group a few times, which does of course make her aweseome! ;-)

In all seriousness though I genuinely do appreciate the diversity of the fans featuring on this podcast. If they/we all agreed about every scene in every episode it would become quite dull after a while.

It's pleasing to hear that the Heath and Angela are enjoying the new dynamics of series 8 for the most part...so far at least. But I wont say much more at this point so to avoid spoilers.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

They really could do with editing out some of the particularly irrelevant tangents, and I wonder why they leave so many of them in. The podcasts are still good stuff, but they badly need trimming.

12. Freeborn

So I finally got around to finishing the BITR part 1 podcast yesterday. It was an enjoyable ep. Much opinionated diversity and very few tangents.

Although speaking of tangents, Heath read out a reasonably long fb comment at the end of this one - whilst stopping halfway through only to go off a tangent of his/their own about Bill and Ted, lol - according to them Bill and Ted is being remade, which is...interesting. Said tangent was due to said poster using the words "most excellent" in his post.

As it happens I personally thought it was actually quite an entertaining tangent. But not as entertaining as the most excellent comment itself...and I'm not being in any way biased when I say that...;-)

So yeah while the tangents are perhaps a little more rare than they used to be, they still occur from time to time, followed by the words "Anyway, back to Red Dwarf".

Anyway, back to their views about Red Dwarf..

;-)

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Some of the tangents can be. I don't mind them having a discussion about moments in their lives that turned out to be decisive during the Dimension Jump podcast, because it's related to the episode's concept. But it's the completely unrelated ones that annoy me. That one you mentioned about Bill and Ted for instance doesn't relate to Red Dwarf at all, and so should have been cut (What is with their Bill and Ted obsession anyway? It's an awful couple of movies).

They frequently laugh about how far off-topic they've become. I keep thinking that if they have enough awareness to know that they're constantly going off-topic, then they should realise they need to stop doing it.

14. Freeborn

Perhaps you should write them a formal 'points of view' style letter of complaint! :P

Just kidding. Although you could offer some constructive criticism on the fb page, I suppose.

Well, people have differing tastes. I personally quite like the Bill and Ted films.

To be fair we engage in our fair amount of off-toppicness on this very forum. Although I realise that's not quite the same thing as we're not doing this for an audience per se.

Perhaps you're right that some of their tangents would benefit from a little editing here and there, but tbh it doesn't really bother me all that much. Especially considering it's a 'non for profit' podcast. These good folk actually turned down offers for ongoing donations after they received more than enough (within a few hours) to upgrade their site plan to unlimited downloads.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Now up to Gunmen of the Apocalypse. Nice to see that the two newbies seem to like this episode as much as most of us fans.

16. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'm up to Bodyswap right now and hope to get onto series 4 later this evening. I'm actually liking everything so far. Even Angela's huge dislike of Backwards didn't really surprise me! Joined the Facebook too. Althouh I'm starting to get annoyed by the wrestling plug. I know it's a sponsored thing but it still annoys me.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's a much better advert later on that wonderfully parodies White Hole's 'so what is it?' scene.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Rimmerworld Introcast is the longest one yet, coming in at just over one hour and thirty minutes. And about half of that must be talking about things unrelated to Red Dwarf. If I never hear another discussion about American football, I'll be very happy.

19. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I always bump up the speed to 2x when they go off on an unrelated tangent.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Unfortunately, I don't download them, so I'm unable to speed them up.