Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Introcast people say that Chris Barrie looks nervous throughout the show. I can't say I ever thought this myself, though I don't think his performance was all that great compared to his acting in Red Dwarf.

Nice to see that the Americans did like Universe Challenge.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well, I'm finally up to date, having just listened to the Back in the Red Part 2 Introcast. What a relief to find that Paul wasn't taking part in this one. Heath and Angela appear to be losing the enthusiasm they had for Back in the Red that they had after watching the first part. I can't wait to hear what they make of the dancing Blue Midgets. I think it's going to be something that they either love or hate. I'm going to guess that they'll love it. I'm also looking forward to hearing what they make of the monumental mess that is Pete, especially after Angela said she couldn't wait for the dinosaur episode.

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I think so too. [Edit: Although I agree it could quite easily go either way].

I must say you and Stephen really have raced through these podcasts. You probably wont know what to do with yourselves now. ;-)

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

It's gonna be weird listening to them at normal speed from now on! Lol

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me, it was mostly the curiosity of what they were going to say about various future episodes/famous scenes/major changes that drove me on.

I must admit I'm already getting impatient now that I have to wait days for each new one.

6. Freeborn

Ah well we shouldn't have much longer to wait for the next ep. I think they're usually released on a Thursday or Friday.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The next one's due out today I believe.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's been uploaded. Now to find out what they made of the Blue Midget dance.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Have Vamp and Stephen not listened to this yet? You've both gone quiet in this thread.

So Heath and Angela didn't like the dancing Blue Midgets or part 3 in general, but my guess is that they'll like the next episode (Cassandra). I can't wait to see what they make of Pete though.

10. Freeborn

In my case, no I haven't yet listened to it (which is actually quite unusual as more often than not I tend to listen to them very soon after they've been released).

But I'll give it a listen sometime soon (probably tomorrow night)...although I now already know they didn't like the blue midget dance and the ep in general - darn you, Bluey!

Just kidding, I'm not genuinely annoyed. The truth is that some of my personal predictions regarding their reactions have been spot on and some have been waaay off the mark. But that actually adds to my enjoyment of these podcasts. :-)

I really enjoy hearing things from a completely different perspective. For example, my child-like nostalgic side still finds it fascinating that they hated Backwards so much, whereas my older and more rational self can completely sympathise/empathise with their reasons for not liking it.

Speaking of personal predictions, I too have a feeling they will enjoy Cassandra. Whereas I've actually got no idea what they're going to make of Pete tbh. But to take a guess I would say I feel they may have very mixed views about it - but may be somewhat surprised and possibly even slightly confused as to why some of the long-term, hardcore fans hate it so much.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think they'll like Backwards a lot more if they watch it again. I think they were just a bit confused and disoriented by all the major changes that had taken place.

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I have listened to it but forgot to post my thoughts! Definitely not surprised about what they thought of the episode. Even what they thought of a cut down one off version suggested by Shane. They will definitely like Casandra a lot more and their prediction is again almost scarily correct!

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Angela in particular seems to have a knack of correctly predicting the next episode's premise.

14. Freeborn

So I finally got around to listening to the recent podcast. It's interesting that their main gripe with the Blue Midget dance seems to be how long it is and how much of the budget was apparently spent the special effects. Although Heath did then quite rightly defended the "logic" as there need be no logic, since it's all part of a simulation. But yeah they certainly didn't seem overly impressed with it, or indeed the episode for the most part.

I would agree that it should probably never have been a three parter, but it would be interesting to hear what they think about Back in the Red Xtended if and when they get around to watching that version, as I personally think that version is a pretty strong episode.

I would also agree that some of the gags in series 8 are perhaps a little overly explained, in the sense that some of them have been needlessly dumbed down. I'm not sure all the previous series are completely void of that though tbh.

And perhaps there's occasionally a little too much "fan service" going on at times too - which is absolutely NOT the case with Emohawk. That's one of the best episodes ever!...in my boldly opinionated view. ;-)

And finally, I loved that Heath and Angela defended the awesomeness of Captain Hollister in these first three episodes. I'm not sure this was always the case but I currently quite like how Doug slightly surprised us regarding his back-story. I wonder if those who dislike that are the same fans who don't like what Doug did with Rimmer's back story in "The Beginning"? I personally feel the latter is one of the best things he's ever done..*Shrugs*.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I thought they'd dislike it for the simple reason that it's...awful, self-indulgent and un-Dwarf-like. Though the criticism about how much it took out of the budget was a good one.

Incidentally, I had a watch of the series 8 documentary the other day and was amazed to find that that terrible few minutes took three months of planning.

16. Freeborn

Well, you're certainly not alone in disliking it. I actually quite like it myself. But yes, three months planning does seem a bit much for such a scene. Again perhaps that time and the resources could've been put to better use. Although as I said I personally quite like the scene, but I do appear to be among the minority, certainly among the hard core, long term fans at least....erm, and some newbies too it would seem.

My least favourite part in the Back In the Red story is actually the Dibbly family sequence. Although again some people seem to like that part, which is fair enough as much of this comes down to personal taste really.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's my second least favourite part of series 8. The thing is, I don't think it's all that bad until the fourth wall-breaking Reservoir Dogs sequence. Just when you think it can't get any worse, the skutters also put on some wigs and false teeth. The whole thing just makes me think that sometimes Doug just doesn't know when he's taken a joke far enough.

Neither do I. I hated the way the Blue Midget in the remastered Thanks For The Memory suddenly sprouts a pair of legs and runs across the planet's surface.

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The dibbly family scene was pretty cringing. It just felt completely alien being in the episode. I actually don't mind the blue midget sequence.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Cassandra Introcast is due to go up today, but there's no sign of it yet. Does anyone know what time they tend to be uploaded?

20. cirenshane

cirenshane Third Technician

Depends on who is editing it if its Heath its 1st thing friday morning if its shane then its last thing friday night