Red Dwarf Introcast

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'm looking forward to that in particular too! Mr Symes is the guest and considering Pete's place in the silver survey this ep could be the lowest ranked in the entire series by Heath & Angela.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think they'll still like it better than Backwards.

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah then I would imagine there's going to be rather a lot of slagging off of those episodes then. :-) I agree with Bluey though that they'll likely prefer both episodes to Backwards.

One thing I like about Heath and Angela is that they don't appear to be overly influenced by what other fans think. Although I must admit I'm a tad surprised at just how much they appear to be disliking series 8 for the most part (BITR part 1 and Cassandra aside). Although it's not massively surprising that they didn't like Krytie TV so much.

It was interesting to hear *Nutty's views on the episode though (describing it as "classic Red Dwarf"). It just goes to show that much of this comes down t personal taste, and thankfully RD tends to have something for everyone. :-)

*For those who don't know of Nutty, she's another American who often guests on the podcast. And is a long term-ish fan of RD.

It was also interesting to hear that Krytie TV was the Australian chap's favourite episode.

I'm not sure what they'll make of Pete, but I have a feeling they may be a bit surprised as to why so many long term fans appear to hate it so much. I don't mind it myself, although I find part 2 a bit gruelling at times.

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Have you read what someone has posted on the IntroCast Facebook page? Pretty scathing about the cast of late.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What was written, and who wrote it?

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

It currently has a shedload of replies to it.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's a strange thing to write as I think they show's improved considerably over time. For a start, there are much fewer unrelated tangents in recent shows and much more on-topic discussion.

8. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

9. Freeborn

I just read that Facebook thread and was impressed with Heath and Angela's long replies (and no not just because they were long ;-) ). As Paul said himself they were both eloquent and dignified responses.

I'm fairly certain it was nothing to do with anything you said, so I wouldn't worry about that. :-) The fact is Heath and Angela do get quite analytical when it comes to such issues as *feminism, but giving their honest reactions and opinions is kind of the whole point, whether we agree with them or not. And as Heath said in his reply he doesn't mind constructive criticism about their feminist critique, the problem was more with Paul's tone in his OP, but he's apologised for that and it's all sorted now.

*As a side note, I wonder how Heath and Angela will react to a certain portion of Fathers and Sons in Series X. That could be interesting.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Lemons is the series X episode I'm most interested in hearing their opinion of.

11. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

You just know they're gonna discuss the hell out of that episode with the science & religion contained within ;-)

12. Freeborn

I've got a feeling they're going to like Lemons. And I don't think they'll fully understand why some claimed it to be "controversial".

Much like they wont understand why so many hardcore fans hate Pete so much. Not that I think they'll necessarily love the episode. But I do think Heath will be somewhat baffled as to why it was did so badly on the Silver survey thingie.

Ian will then defend said Survey by saying "well it's not just me, it's everyone". To which Heath will reply "Well, I don't get it". Or something along those lines.

13. Claire_C

Well, glad to hear it's blown over. I agree that the analytical approach they take is the whole point. And it's not as though they don't like the show - you can tell they do from the enthusiasm in the quotes section. :-)

14. Claire_C

You were fairly spot on with that prediction.

I think they'll like "BTE" too. They may be rather thrown at the start, but I think the Lister and Kochanski scene will win them over.

15. Freeborn

Pretty much. :-) It was good to hear they didn't hate it. I do think there are some good moments in those two episodes. I kind of agree with what they were saying about the initial conception of the first episode being "The Captains Office". I agree with Heath that Hollister was on top form during both ep's.

Yeah I'd pretty much agree with that. My significant other, who happens to be an American lady really loved BTE when when she watched it with her two sons recently. Her sons (aged 7 and 11) loved it too. The boys have seen it twice now in fact. She couldn't understand why so many fans seem to dislike it. I think she may have read some of the negative feedback on here too, so was pleasantly surprised at how much she enjoyed it.

I've recently found myself wondering what those who previously disliked it, but like series X may thing of BTE upon watching back at this point. I could be wrong but I can't help but feel that had we known what was to come with series X more people would've accepted and enjoyed BTE for what it is. I watched again recently and really enjoyed it. :-)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself here by the way, I know I wrote that somewhere else recently but can't remember if it was on this forum or not.

16. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Finished listening to it this morning. Not surprised by reactions although I didn't watch the episodes before listening. Maybe I should've :P Looking forward to hearing what they make of Only The Good...

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Me too. Especially the awful ending.

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I got the impression most fans did like Back To Earth at the time (although a significant amount didn't). I got the impression it was regarded largely a success. Then X comes out and everyone seems to remember BtE poorly!

19. Freeborn

I think the general public reaction was pretty good for the most part. But when it comes to fan forums the negative comments often stand out more than the positives, you know? Especially given the nature of some of the negative comments we saw on here.

You may well be right though that some now remember BTE poorly after series X coming out.

One thing I actually forgot to point out in regards to my American gal specifically is that she actually watched BTE after series X, as she was busy doing other stuff as her sons watched it the first time. So it was her first time watching it very recently. I'm not sure if that actually makes any difference however. Quite possibly not, but who knows? :-)

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

From what I recall on this forum, opinion was split pretty much 50/50 between those who liked it and those who didn't.

Despite the fact I was very enthusiastic about part 1, overall I'd have to say I was in the 'dislike' camp. That said, I think it'll grow on me over time. I'll have to give the whole thing another watch sometime.