Red Dwarf - Live Recording times

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pm8rsh, Dec 9, 2015.

1. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

Hi,

I'm going to see Red Dwarf being filmed in February and was wondering if anyone who's been to the live recording knows roughly when it ends? Is there a set time or is it till they are done?

I'm travelling from up north so need to plan for the night time accommodation or travel

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The aim is to be finished by 10pm, but so far this series some have run past that and some have finished sooner! I believe the latest they've finished so far is 10.30, and I wouldn't expect any to be finished before 9.

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

As far as I am aware the BBC episodes were all 30 minutes long because of no adverts. When BTE was made the 30 minute slot made the eps 20 minutes in reality. For this reason RDX had a 40 minute slot including adverts which gave arun time of 30 minutes. there is no reason I can see at the moment to think Dave won't give the same 40 minute slot for a 30 minute show.
    My tuppence worth. 8)

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

... it doesn't, though?

The original BBC run were all done for non-ad slots, so run to around 28 minutes (hence being broadcast in a 40-minute slot on Dave). Back to Earth is only about 25 minutes an episode (30 min slot length), but that's probably partly because it was originally written as two parts then extended to three.

But Series X was written for a 40-minute slot length, and with the ads taken out (and I'm looking at video files right now that confirm this) the eps are all 29 or 30 minutes long each. So they're actually the longest episodes yet!

(The US shows that you're talking about, incidentally, are made to fit an hour-long slot length. It's just that there are so many breaks on US telly that an hour-long slot equates to only about 42-44 minutes of actual show).

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Also the shows you're talking about are dramas, rather than sitcoms. It's very rare for a sitcom to run more than half an hour.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm really unsure that I'd like Red Dwarf to run longer than it is, as I'd worry that it'd be artificially stretched out.

As for recording times, even though I haven't been I'd stick with "it's finished when it's finished". Don't forget that they're not performing it for you like a stage show, they're recording it (sometimes with several takes and out of order) for them to edit together. I'm from up north too and, if I were going, I would definitely be booking a hotel room. Mind you, I'd be travelling by train and would just wait until morning to begin the long slog back.