Red Dwarf Live - What the smeg will we get?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by 2X4B-523P, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

So What do you think we are getting re Red Dwarf Live? Recreations of classic moments? Sing a longs? If Ben Elton or Eric Idle get involved well please no! I would prefer a proper story from 'the End' at the beginning to assorted adventures in the style of the first two novels.
    Danny being a song and dance man will sit nicely in a variety show feel, but please no dancing Blue Midgets, the others are amazing experienced performers but not sure they fit into a live theatre experience. Thoughts?

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I think its a waste of time myself, but that's no secret.

FeeBee and 2X4B-523P like this.
  3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

Chris and Robert have done plays ...

FeeBee, 2X4B-523P and Abe like this.
  4. TheSirSpence

TheSirSpence Skutter

Basingstoke, UK, Europe, Third Planet (Earth), SOL
    I hope its a full on original story, Didn't Doug always want them to get back to earth but its a huge Wall-E-esk garbage planet, and the insects have taken over? I seem to remember reading that but they didn't have the budget in TV or something.

Maybe I am making it up or it was in one of the books.... but either way, I think that could translate to a great stage show.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

That was in one of the books, although maybe he would've liked to do that in the show, too.

That said, I doubt we'd get a proper ending like that in the live show.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I expect some classic stry. We will see simulants and GELFs, but mainly crew making jokes. I also hope some songs and dance will be included. It's likely Danny will do this.

Mardroid and 2X4B-523P like this.
  7. TheSirSpence

TheSirSpence Skutter

I don't think that would necessarily be an end. I think it could just be an adventure where they realise that things were better back on the Red.

I've seen an interview with Doug where he said that he would have to do some version of Tongue Tied in a live show

Mardroid and 2X4B-523P like this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Yep, I have seen it too.

2X4B-523P likes this.
  9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Like I said in another thread, it might be funny and entertaining but really it is inessential and I would much rather - given the success and momentum created by the back-to-back series - there be more new TV series than a live show before time runs out on RD.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I’m sure the plan is to do both.

11. BigOleDummy

Well, as Craig said himself, they are running out of time fast. To ME , this "live show" just sounds like a vanity project for the Boss. He's entitled I suppose but still ...............................

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well it sounds like Doug has at least 2 more series in mind and doesn't really care all that much about the casts ages

I agree the stage show does sound abit like a vanity project.

Especially when it sounds like its gonna be an excuse for the cast to re-act old scenes again for a live audience

13. BigOleDummy

I don't really care much the casts ages either actually, but other factors are in play besides simply "age". It's Doug's property (Red Dwarf) and he can do anything he durn well pleases with it in the grand scheme of things but why gamble with fate? Everyone's there now, and by all accounts I've seen, willing and able to get started on more episodes right away. I could go on I suppose but what's the point? What happens will happen no matter what I or anyone else want's. Just seems to me to be a waste of talent and time, ESPECIALLY if it turns out to be as you said, re-enactments of old episodes. If THATS what Doug want's, to fine tune older episodes then I submit he could do that just as well , if not better, on T.V. I've read that Doug hated series 1 , o.k. then ..... take the money , time and effort utilized for a live show to re-shoot and tweak series 1. I would buy it again myself. I'm rambling now so ..................

14. TheSirSpence

TheSirSpence Skutter

I hope it is not a rehash of old stuff, I would like it to be a self contained story never to be told by anyone else. I saw the League of Gentlemen live and it was just that. Utterly brilliant and like a dirty little secret.

Mind you I would go and see it, if the whole thing was acted like the chase scene in Back to Reality.

Pembers likes this.
  15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Looking at modern Dwarf id say Doug doesn't hate series 1 since at times its like he is trying to revert the characters back to that period.

He wasn't shy about the nostalgic value of Skipper either.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Doug a while ago made it sound like it would be a brand new story that somehow mixed older material in there.

So basically an excuse for the cast to do old scenes for an excited fanbase to see done again live.

17. BigOleDummy

Yeah, maybe "hate" was a little strong for me to use. But from the booklet in the series II DVD, quote " Feeling let down by so much of the first series" unquote.
    Regardless, I still think this live thing is a waste of time and energy that could better be used on new series.

18. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

Maybe in the way the books do?

Asclepius likes this.
  19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Depends on what the idea behind it is.

If Doug is gonna treat it like a story canon to the show then maybe not.

20. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

This could work well. Doug returned to some ideas from books in XII (some are mentioned in M-Corp review by Gazpacho Soup), so he could do it again for live show. It's interesting and if it was made from first two books, it would be great.