Red Dwarf on Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by steve51184, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

It seems very odd to put the discs on single layer.
    Over here in Europe all of mine are dual layer.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well, here we are, less than a year later, and look what's on the way: Nest Gen remastered.

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Myself, I would love Red Dwarf on Blu Ray, even though I am aware that most of it was shot on VT so HD quality is not there. What I would like it for is the fact that a Blu Ray version could be released that has all the episodes and extras all on a couple of discs saving me swapping around all my normall DVD's and a nice neat little box set for the dvd rack.

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

And that proves it - back to the 35mm negatives and new HD effects. Inevitable.

5. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I agree with Sunday... I would prefer having them on fewer discs, heck maybe even use seamless branching or something similar to get all the versions on one disc etc. but I am guess that the demand would have to be very very high to justify it..

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Indeed. I honestly can't see 'same quality, fewer discs' as a selling point that will make production of RD blus worthwhile. People won't generally pay more, or again, for that one small convenience.

All else aside, a series is three hours long. Hard to argue that most people don't want to get up for, say, six hours at a time.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i say the bbc should put money into not knowing putting the show on blueray but also 3D ;-)

one can dream ;-)

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

hmmm:roll:

9. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

With shows being cancelled left and right at the BBC, this is the worst possible thing they could do now. Then they wouldn't just need Doctor Who Confidential and Shooting Stars on the chopping block.

10. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

As much as I'd love to have Red Dwarf on Blu-Ray, I can understand why they will never be released. It just wasn't shot that way and there will be no improvement in quality. I thought the quality of the DVDs were superb and the best we'll ever get it. No one will fork out to but them on Blu-Ray for the same quality as the DVDs, and putting multiple seasons on a disc just isn't marketable I don't think. At least we have Back to Earth in glorious HD, and I can probably guarantee that RDX will also be released on Blu-Ray.

The only reason why I would wish for Red Dwarf to be on Blu-Ray would be so my collection looks nice on my DVD/Blu-Ray shelf with all the cases matching :P

11. twilight_samurai

twilight_samurai Skutter

Sad that RD wil not make it as a bluray format as it would also have been a good money spinner too, just look at the Star Wars *original Trilogy" most people had it on VHS, then bought the DVD and now the Bluray version, also so rumours suggest the 3D version is being worked on now for a 2013-2014 release.
    It just case of being able to move in parallel or just a couple of steps behind the latest developments in screen entertainment

12. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

The difference with a Star Wars Blu-Ray and a Red Dwarf Blu-Ray is that Star Wars was shot on film (or in the case of the recent ones it has been shot digitally) which means the image quality can be vastly improved, whereas Red Dwaf was not shot this way and image quality will not be improved any more than on the DVDs. The Star Wars films had a valid selling point for being released on Blu-Ray, but sadly Red Dwarf does not. No one will fork out for Blu-Rays of the exact same thing that have on DVD with no improvements in image quality.

13. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

At least series X will probably be on blu ray.

14. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

I came across this thread when looking for the complete Red Dwarf on Blu Ray and I think its such a shame to hear we will never see it released on Blu Ray.
    I completely understand that the picture quality will be the same as the DVDs(that I havent got yet but will now buy as theres no Blu Ray option)and Im fine with that as I like the old school look.
    Personally I mostly buy Blu Rays because they hold more content than DVDs. A LOT of people I know buy them for the same reason too. Im pretty sure that a lot of people who already own the DVDs would upgrade to a Blu Ray version.
    With the new Red Dwarf series coming soon, I think this is the perfect time for Blu Ray Red Dwarf.
    I will wait it out until buying the DVDs, just incase.

15. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I keep wondering what format to get when it comes to video. How long will it be before we can no longer buy or use dvd's? every format has its own lifespan so no doubt at some point over the next 20 years well will probabbly all have to get other formats. At the moment I buy Blu ray for special colletable films and dvds for the cheap flicks.

16. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I give DVD/Blu-Ray another 10 years. I think there'll only be one more format after Blu-Ray - the download. Everyone's collections will just be stored on hard drives. I can't imagine where the format will evolve from the download.

17. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

The Cloud. We won't own anything, we'll just have streaming access to whatever device where ever you are.

Afterm that, we are in total immersion territory. BTL, here we come!

18. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Are you suggesting that one day we'll be able to totally immerse ourselves in an episode of Red Dwarf and feel like we're actually there witnessing it first hand? How awesome would that be!? :-D

19. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

That would be amazing! But unfortunately Red Dwarf would be so old at that stage it would be like the equivalent of a silent movie to us now

20. cubehead

cubehead Skutter

I know this is an old post, but gosh how I wish that 35mm footage would be found. This series deserves a better resolution release